Windows 10: Taskbar Auro-resizes Even When Locked

Discus and support Taskbar Auro-resizes Even When Locked in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is strange; it occurred shortly after the last update, but not immediately after it, so I don't know it that's related or not. Also I am kind of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by twayne916, Jul 22, 2017.

1. twayne916 Win User

Taskbar Auro-resizes Even When Locked

This is strange; it occurred shortly after the last update, but not immediately after it, so I don't know it that's related or not. Also I am kind of shooting in the dark as to where best to post this, so please forgive it this is not the right place.

My Taskbar is two lines deep. When I set it for that, lock, and then Restart, it becomes all on one line, nearly unreadable. I can not adjust its size while it's locked, so at least part of locked is working or seems to be. It's also nearly impossible to find a place to click in order to resize it back because it's so crowded.
    Finally discovered that if I set the Taskbar to one line more than it needs to display (eg 3 lines), when I restart it becomes 2 lines. Then I can unlock it and grab it and resize it back to 3 lines again in anticipation of the next Restart.
    Right now I have given up on locking the Taskbar since it doesn't change anything and is always an extra step in getting hold of the Taskbar to raise it with my mouse.
    I can NOT find ANY way to fix this, or even figure out why it's happening. I've cleaned the registry and run AV and malware detectors many times with no success, looked thru godmode, all Settings, Control Panel, etc. Oh, and nothing else on the computer seems to be having any problems.

I don't think it's the Update since I have 3 other machines in the house and the other two do NOT have this issue; one is another desktop and the other is alaptop, all Dell machines.

I sincerealy h ope someone here has an idea; after awhile this becomes really frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

:)

twayne916, Jul 22, 2017

2. Task Bar growing in size

You should be able to resize the Taskbar the same way you resize windows (hovering the mouse over the edge and dragging the edge to where you want it); however, if the Taskbar is locked you will have to right-click on the Taskbar and unchecking "Lock the
    taskbar" first.

Jedi Jason, Jul 22, 2017
  3. RobotJohn Win User
    Taskbar increases one size on session unlock

Taskbar grows one size after unlocking a previously locked session. Occurs even when taskbar is locked. (yoga 2 pro) Unable to find anyone with the same issue. Very odd bug. Unable to reproduce on other systems. Still occurs on fresh install.

Anyone else out there with a similar issue? It is really annoying to have to unlock the taskbar and resize it every time a open my laptop.

Thanks

RobotJohn, Jul 22, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

As for the unreadable part mention it may help to know what the monitor is and what resolution you are using. Personally I like 1440x900 pixels on my 19", 20", 21.5" and 27" screens.

Berton, Jul 22, 2017
  5. twayne916 Win User
    Thanks for your response.

twayne916, Jul 23, 2017
  6. Inkogni2 Win User
    Hi twayne916 ,

You are not alone - I have the exact same problem after the last update. I will follow your thread to see if somebody finds the solution

Thanks

Inkogni2, Aug 4, 2017
  7. twayne916 Win User
    Thanks, at least I know I'm not alone. And I DO think this began after the last update. MS at its "best" again, using customers for Alpha/Beta testing!

Thanks again,

twayne916, Aug 4, 2017
  8. jwm4 Win User

Same issue occurs with every restart on my two Windows 10 Version 1703 PC's. Started immediately after Creators Update install on both.

9. twayne916 Win User
    Yes, I agree, it did start after one of the updates. I didn't notice it right away because I figured it was my own klutzy fingers so it took me a day or so to figure it out.
    IFF MS is listening, it might be taken care of in a future update, but the last one I received didn't fix it. It's irritating and a PIA to contend with.

twayne916, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Taskbar Auro-resizes Even When Locked - Similar Threads - Taskbar Auro resizes

2. Taskbar resize

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar resize: A year ago I was told that resizing the taskbar icons like on the Windows 10 isn't possible yet. It has been a year, so is it possible to change the taskbar size yet? Other than the registry edit thing....
  3. Taskbar resize

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar resize: A year ago I was told that resizing the taskbar icons like on the Windows 10 isn't possible yet. It has been a year, so is it possible to change the taskbar size yet? Other than the registry edit thing....
  4. Locked taskbar resizes after reboot or disconnecting external monitors

in Windows 10 Support
    Locked taskbar resizes after reboot or disconnecting external monitors: Hi. Would LOVE to fix this. Would owe a huge debt of gratitude to anyone who could crack the mystery! Lived with it for several years at work, figuring it had something to do with corporate-controlled configuration. However, now have a brand new personal Dell Inspiron 7506...
  5. Resizing taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Resizing taskbar: I have changed my taskbar location to the left. Then I replaced it to the bottom. But it seems big. How can I resize it? I have applied the arrow pointer, but it is not working....
  6. Taskbar resizing issue.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar resizing issue.: Intro: After the Windows 10 2004 update coming from 1809 I experience the infamous glitch with the taskbar resize lag. The bug: It simply plays back the movements at 10% of the speed you moved it at, so if you stop dragging the taskbar, the cursor is still visibly...
  7. Taskbar not staying locked even after checking "Lock the taskbar" option in settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar not staying locked even after checking "Lock the taskbar" option in settings: I was screwing around on my computer and installed Nexus Dock for some reason, but eventually got rid of it. However, now the dock isn't staying put no matter what option I try in settings. I don't understand why, since "Lock the taskbar" is checked when I right click on the...
  8. Taskbar keeps moving even when locked, on several computers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar keeps moving even when locked, on several computers: I am having the same issue as thousands of other windows users from what I have read. Computer 1 - taskbar is set to display at the bottom of the screen. After a certain amount of time (or reboots) it gets moved to the side, even though it is locked. Computer 2 - set...
  9. how to resize taskbar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to resize taskbar: so a couple months back i updated windows 10, when the update was done my taskbar was bigger, now some applications are sized weirdly, some applications i cant resize even when they are windowed, so due to this update i cant even use some applications. when i updated i...
  10. taskbar resize

in Windows 10 Support
    taskbar resize: hi I resize the task bar to large, cant remember how to change it back 23934

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taskbar changes size even when locked