Windows 10: Taskbar button behavior

Discus and support Taskbar button behavior in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; build 14393.231 On my desktop task bar I have pinned shortcuts to Word, excel and Firefox. When I click on the Firefox shortcut, a separate Firefox... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kitpzyxmsir, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Taskbar button behavior

build 14393.231

On my desktop task bar I have pinned shortcuts to Word, excel and Firefox. When I click on the Firefox shortcut, a separate Firefox window button appears.

When I select the Word shortcut, it becomes to a Word document button.

I know Im bringing up ancient history by mentioning xp, but the toolbar and taskbar used to be separate.

Not only does it get messy because the taskbar the pinned items positions and the buttons positions get mixed up, but in the case with Word already being open, the only way to launch a fresh Word document is to go into the already opened document, go to settings >new > blank document > create.

Very inconvenient.

Another one of those head-scratching microsoft design things? Or can something be done?

I guess I could put a word shortcut on my desktop on pin one to the start menu, but it would be nice to have it work like it should, IMO

thanks

:)

kitpzyxmsir, Oct 15, 2016

2. Start menu, Search and Task View icons not responding.

Original Title:

I am using Windows10, on a desktop, with all the updates applied. Last night when I tried to switch off, the start button in the task bar refused to display anything, just changing color when the lefthand mouse button or the "enter" button is pressed as
    well as the Search and Task View icons. Today in addition to that behavior my opened programs do not show in the Taskbar. How do I correct this behavior?

BrianDavid_911, Oct 15, 2016
  3. windows taskbar behavior

2018 minus 1995 equals 23. windows has been using a taskbar for twenty-three years now, and it still doesn't work right. maximized windows, including explorer, sometimes will be on top of the taskbar in auto-hide mode. the only way to fix it is to turn off
    auto-hide, maybe resize the offending window, then turn auto-hide back on. i'm currently using win 10 64 on all my machines, but i've experienced this with every version of windows with a taskbar: 95, 98, 2k, xp, 7, 8, and 10. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

that's pathetic. how is it that a trillion-dollar company can't fix their stupid taskbar after more than twenty years? this question is more rhetorical than practical. and don't start asking me about drivers or a corrupt registry or my system configuration.
    you're not listening: it has always done this, on every single windows machine i've ever used.

why do i even try? (also a rhetorical question)

ian.flesher, Oct 15, 2016
  4. Taskbar button behavior

lehnerus2000, Oct 15, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    It would be if that was the only way - but it isn't. Right-click on the word icon on the taskbar, select Microsoft Word.

The Right-click also brings up a list of your recently opened Word documents - at least it will if 'show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or taskbar' is turned on in Settings/Personalisation/Start. Click on one to open it.

6. Yes. IMO, that's the best care scenario for those of us with a ton of shortcuts. I don't know how I would have managed them without Quick launch toolbars, all the way back to XP, and still today. I don't think a lot of people are aware of them.

If you right click on the toolbar and deselect "Show Text" and Show Title", it actually kind of mimics the way things looked in XP, by displaying only the shortcut icons, until you run out of task bar room to the right and a drop down menu appears.

I was hoping to display as many of those most used icons as possible before the drop down menu, by taking a few of them and pinning them to the task bar, but the way the Win 10 task bar behaves, I'm better off leaving them where they are.

BTW, the only complaint I have with quick launch toolbar menus is that, when I first boot to the desktop, they have up to a 10 second delay until they load, where they first display a blank menu. The system actually freezes until they load. And sometimes they display the first portion of the menu under the task bar. Do you experience the same things?

Appreciate the suggestion.

kitpzyxmsir, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Taskbar button behavior

1. Taskbar button behavior - Similar Threads - Taskbar button behavior

2. Bugged Taskbar Behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bugged Taskbar Behavior: Hello everyoneI'm on windows 11 22H2 version.the hidden task bar behavior feature is totally bugged, whenever i hover with the mouse around the task bar area it doesn't reappear.it functions only when all the opened windows are minimized.This issue might sound trivial, but a...
  3. Taskbar behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar behavior: After updating latest version of windows, the search button of taskbar is expanded, is it a bug or is it official? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-behavior/a666681d-4ede-4903-8ab9-17b40129cfa2
  4. Taskbar behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar behavior: After updating latest version of windows, the search button of taskbar is expanded, is it a bug or is it official? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-behavior/a666681d-4ede-4903-8ab9-17b40129cfa2
  5. Taskbar behavior

Taskbar behavior: Can you run v11 and have the start menu and taskbar operate like in v10? Launching and jumping between programs is onerous in Windows 11. I have tried using registry edits as described online but none have worked. If it is not possible please tell me so i don't hold out hope....
  6. Taskbar behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar behavior: Can you run v11 and have the start menu and taskbar operate like in v10? I have tried many times using registry edits described on online but none have worked. Launching and jumping between programs is onerous in Windows 11. No need to gripe further. If it is not possible...
  7. TaskBar Behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TaskBar Behavior: Win 11 OS Build 22000.613.But when will MS finally fix the TaskBar Behavior bug?I have the "Automatically hide the TaskBar" mode set, but from time to time the TaskBar stops hiding. No manipulations in Settings - Personalization - TaskBar help in solving the problem. The only...
  8. TaskBar Behavior

TaskBar Behavior: Win 11 OS Build 22000.613.But when will MS finally fix the TaskBar Behavior bug?I have the "Automatically hide the TaskBar" mode set, but from time to time the TaskBar stops hiding. No manipulations in Settings - Personalization - TaskBar help in solving the problem. The only...
  9. Strange Taskbar Behavior?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Taskbar Behavior?: TL;DR - closing app that continues to run background, makes its pinned icon in taskbar inactive. So I returned to Windows PC after using Mac for a year or two - and I am not sure but I think pinned apps on taskbar do not behave as they used to and I am wondering if there is...
  10. Odd behavior for desktop taskbar buttons

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd behavior for desktop taskbar buttons: I think I posted about this before with no solution, but I discovered another element that I hope will be familiar to someone or lead to an answer. This only affects desktop taskbar buttons to file explorer folders, not buttons to programs or browsers. I will click on a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taskbar button behaviour excel