Windows 10: Taskbar Button How to always start a new instance on single left clicK

Discus and support Taskbar Button How to always start a new instance on single left clicK in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Win10 V.1511 and V.1607. Example TaskBar Button - File Explorer If you open an instance of File Explorer, then click the task bar button again,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by nickhog, Sep 7, 2016.

1. nickhog Win User

Taskbar Button How to always start a new instance on single left clicK

Win10 V.1511 and V.1607.
    Example TaskBar Button - File Explorer

If you open an instance of File Explorer, then click the task bar button again, File explorer window minimizes. If you right click, a popup opens with Pinned, Frequent, and File Explorer. If you click on File Explorer, another instance of Explorer will open.

If you open an instance of File Explorer and then, hold down the "Shift" key and left click the File Explorer TaskBar button again, another instance of file explorer will open.

This works with most any application that can run in multiple instances. At some time in the past (i.e. probably Win7 era) I found a way to make individual Task bar buttons work as if the shift key was pressed (i.e. each Left Click would always open another instance of the app). After upgrading to Win10 and subsequently after loading the anniversary updates, I managed to lose that function. Since I've slept once or twice since setting this up, I no longer remember how I did it.

So to my question, Does anyone know of a setting or registry hack that will make a taskbar button function as if the shift key is pressed when it is left clicked?

:)

nickhog, Sep 7, 2016

2. start button wont respond to a left click

I have had Windows 10 for several months. About a week ago, my start button did not function with a left click. It works well with a right click. I also have lost the search function. Aeveral of my programs vital for my work disappeared also. I have read
    many blogs and fixes for this issue and have not been able to remedy it.

Please help,

Royce

Dr. RoyceMalphrus, Sep 7, 2016
  3. start button wont respond to a left click

Hi,

Check Ruth Buruga's reply in this this thread :

After upgrading to windows 10

More methods you should use :

Windows Key + X - Command Prompt (Admin)

SFC /scannow

Note if that shows uncorrected errors - continue regardless.

When that completes run these :

DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Note if that shows any uncorrected errors - continue regardless.

Then restart the computer.

Be sure you are running the latest available BIOS and drivers.

Check with System Maker (Motherboard Maker for custom systems) for updates

to the BIOS, low level chipset drivers, and the major on-board and separate device

drivers. Run DriverView - set VIEW to Hide Microsoft drivers - update those without

Dump in their name.

DriverView - Free - utility displays the list of all device drivers currently loaded

on your system. For each driver in the list, additional useful information is

displayed: load address of the driver, description, version, product name,

company that created the driver, and more.

DriverView: Loaded Windows Drivers List

For Drivers check System Maker as fallbacks and Device Maker's which are the

most current. Control Panel - Device Manager - Display Adapter - write down

the make and complete model of your video adapter - double click - Driver's

tab - write down the version info. Now click UPdate Driver (this may not do

anything as MS is far behind certifying drivers) - then Right Click - Uninstall -

REBOOT this will refresh the driver stack.

Repeat that for Network - Network Card (NIC), Wifi, Sound, Mouse and Keyboard

if 3rd party with their own software and drivers and any other major device drivers

you have.

Now go to System Maker's site (Dell, HP, Toshiba as examples) (as rollback) and

then Device Maker's site (Realtek, Intel, Nvidia, ATI as examples) and get their

latest versions. (Look for BIOS, Chipset, and software updates at System Maker's

site while there.)

Download - SAVE - go to where you put them - Right Click - RUN AD ADMIN -

REBOOT after each installation.

Always check in Device Manager - Drivers tab to be sure the version you are

installing actually shows up. This is because some drivers rollback before the

latest is installed (sound drivers particularly do this) so install a driver - reboot

- check to be sure it is installed and repeat as needed.

Repeat at Device Makers - BTW at Device Makers DO NOT RUN THEIR SCANNER -

heck manually by model.

Manually look at manufacturer's sites for drivers - and Device Maker's sites.

How to Find and Download Drivers

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Sep 7, 2016
Thema:

Taskbar Button How to always start a new instance on single left clicK

1. Taskbar Button How to always start a new instance on single left clicK - Similar Threads - Taskbar Button always

2. Single left click rename problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Single left click rename problem: Single click rename files in explorer instead of two like always. Please helpI've already tried all these methods given by John DeV https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/single-click-rename-issues-on-windows-10/78e939c7-84c6-4dd0-8069-2f8ac61d3bd2 didn't...
  3. Single left click rename problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Single left click rename problem: Single click rename files in explorer instead of two like always. Please helpI've already tried all these methods given by John DeV https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/single-click-rename-issues-on-windows-10/78e939c7-84c6-4dd0-8069-2f8ac61d3bd2 didn't...
  4. Single left click rename problem

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 11 Start button not working Left Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Start button not working Left Click: I just updated to Windows 11, Version 22H2 and my left click on my start button no longer works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-start-button-not-working-left-click/78cae092-784c-4b76-843d-a08957ed09ad
  6. Windows 11 Start button not working Left Click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Start button not working Left Click: I just updated to Windows 11, Version 22H2 and my left click on my start button no longer works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-start-button-not-working-left-click/78cae092-784c-4b76-843d-a08957ed09ad
  7. Start button left click nothing happens

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button left click nothing happens: Have a Dell XPS 11. Clicking left on start button should open Cortana and Start Options. Nothing happens. There's a hamburger on the top left which will bring up the start menu, Most Used, Recently Added and File Explorer, Settings, etc. At the bottom, Power Symbol and a...
  8. windows start button no left click

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows start button no left click: Hello I have just upgraded from seven to ten. At first things were ok but I no longer have anything on the windows icon with left click. Also the new browser will not start and internet explorer browser icon went away. Can I do another free upgrade by using system restore?...
  9. Left click on combined taskbar icons (buttons) not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Left click on combined taskbar icons (buttons) not working: I just install windows 10 on my friend's laptop, but it has some issues. - Preview windows don't appear when hovering on taskbar icons. - Left clicking on taskbar icons does not work, the preview windows appear momentarily then disappear right away, this makes me...
  10. The Windows "Start" button on taskbar doesn't work with left-click

in Windows 10 Support
    The Windows "Start" button on taskbar doesn't work with left-click: I have four computers running Win10. On two of them the windows "Start" button on the task bar doesn't work. So I can't get to Settings or Apps. I can right click on the Start button and get the "right-click menu". All of the other task bar buttons work. What's going on...