Windows 10: Taskbar crashing/restarting when I open the Start menu

Discus and support Taskbar crashing/restarting when I open the Start menu in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So, I am trying to open the Start menu, but it's not responding and after that, it crashes and restarts. Every time I press the Windows button to open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by EthanChai1, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Taskbar crashing/restarting when I open the Start menu

So, I am trying to open the Start menu, but it's not responding and after that, it crashes and restarts. Every time I press the Windows button to open the Start menu, the desktop flickers and the taskbar restarts itself. How do I fix this?

:)

EthanChai1, Apr 25, 2024

2. Taskbar hides and shows itself after opening start menu.

Steps:

1. Using HDMI for a second monitor.
    2. Open start menu using the icon.
    3. Close start menu using the icon.
    4. Click anywhere other than the task bars. (e.g. an open window, the desktop, even the first monitor's desktop)
    5. Taskbar on second monitor slides down to be hidden.
    6. Taskbar then immediately slides up to reappear.

If after closing the start menu (step 3), you click on the taskbar, then click outside the taskbar, this behavior does not occur.

Performing the steps on the main monitor's taskbar does not produce this behavior.

This has been happening for as long as I can remember using this laptop (~3years), with different nVidia drivers and Windows 10 updates.

Dreaming Void, Apr 25, 2024
  3. AndreePin Win User
    AndreePin, Apr 25, 2024
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Taskbar crashing/restarting when I open the Start menu

Start menu and taskbar not working.

Hi Deva,

Thank you for updating.

I suggest you to refer the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana.

Fix problems with the Start menu - Microsoft Support

Hope the Start menu works after performing the steps suggested. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Apr 25, 2024
Thema:

Taskbar crashing/restarting when I open the Start menu

1. Taskbar crashing/restarting when I open the Start menu - Similar Threads - Taskbar crashing restarting

2. Taskbar crashing/restarting when I open the Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar crashing/restarting when I open the Start menu: So, I am trying to open the Start menu, but it's not responding and after that, it crashes and restarts. Every time I press the Windows button to open the Start menu, the desktop flickers and the taskbar restarts itself. How do I fix this?...
  3. Apps will not open from start menu or taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Apps will not open from start menu or taskbar: Hello, I am running windows 10 and when I open the start menu to search for a program, it will not open. When I click an app or file from within the menu, it says the following: "The item you selected is unavailable. I might have been moved, renamed, or removed..."...
  4. Windows Apps ,taskbar, start menu crash

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Apps ,taskbar, start menu crash: Hello, I had a problem with system restore so I followed the procedure to rename WindowsApps to another name. System Restore Worked but when I changed the name back to normal, several crashes occur. None of the windows applications opens, when I try to open one, the...
  5. Start menu opens when I press esc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu opens when I press esc: Hello, my name is Maks and I have a question my problem is, when I click esc opens start menu and I can't change sites on firefox and other weird things, I turned off sticky buttons That bug doing at random times and when I restart the computer everything works for 10 min/1,5...
  6. Weird Delay When I Open Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird Delay When I Open Start Menu: After 20 secs or more (I timed it) of not touching the start button, when I press it, it'll take a full second to even a second and a half before it finally pops up. This is a minor thing, I know, but it's really irritating. Is anyone else experiencing this? I also did some...
  7. Critical error when I open the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Critical error when I open the start menu: Hi when i press the start menu button or the search bar i get a critical error saying your start menu isnt working. I was getting an error earlier where when i turned on my pc i got an error saying unexpected kernel mode trap. I unpluged my pc power supply and all usb...
  8. taskbar and start menu very slow to open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    taskbar and start menu very slow to open: Does any one have problems with items in taskbar and start menu very slow to open, examples Google Chrome, Opera, email client. It's taking close to a minute for programs to open. I'm running an insider preview. Version 1903, OS build 18965.1000 Wondering if anyone else is...
  9. Cortana crashes when using search from taskbar/start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana crashes when using search from taskbar/start menu: Asus G750JM Windows 10 Home As soon as I start to type in the search bar the search bar crashes preventing me from using the search function at all. With the task manager open I can see one of the cortana processes disappear and reappear - i guess indicating that Cortana is...
  10. On restart, developed problems with search, start menu, and taskbar.

in Windows 10 Support
    On restart, developed problems with search, start menu, and taskbar.: Alright, so, a few days ago I restarted my laptop, a couple weeks after upgrading to W10, and over the next hour i noticed three seemingly unrelated problems that all started at the same time. I first noticed that two of my pinned taskbar icons are "blank". They show no...