Windows 10: Taskbar & desktop randomly refreshes after upgrading to ten

Discus and support Taskbar & desktop randomly refreshes after upgrading to ten in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I recently upgraded both my laptop and desktop to win 10 and I am having exactly the same issue on both. Every so often the desktop and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pumpsmith, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Pumpsmith Win User

Taskbar & desktop randomly refreshes after upgrading to ten

Hi,

I recently upgraded both my laptop and desktop to win 10 and I am having exactly the same issue on both.

Every so often the desktop and teaskbar will refresh. It doesn't seem to be associated with having anything open, it happens randomly anytime whatever I'm doing. if i'm playing a game it will take me out of the game to the desktop too, it won't close the game though.

I found some information about it possible being AutoCAD 2014 software which I had, but now have unisntalled to try and eliminate the issue but it still persists.

Any help would be awesome *Smile

:)

Pumpsmith, Sep 19, 2015
  2. Seikojin Win User

Windows 10 exits Fullscreen mode in games randomly and sometime on the hour and hour 1/2

Ever since getting windows 10, everyone in my family has this issue with games. Since going on the insider program, I get it more frequently.

Ratandeep - Microsoft Community, why is the first solution to install in windows 8 Compatibility mode? Why is there no consistency in solutions? No education as to why you post that solution? As a support
    professional, it was my first priority to offer a working solution, and a second priority to educate/inform the user of what is happening. Both had to be delivered. Just boggles my mind to see neither being properly offered.

When I attempt to get the Nvidia Geforce 970 driver to run with win8 compatibility, it says my version of windows is unsupported and does not install. If I leave it as the win 10 driver it is, it installs fine. I found another topic that may be related:
    Windows 10 Taskbar and Desktop Constantly Refreshing and am trying without cloud drive running.

Still occurs with windows cloud drive not running. So it sounds like some process or application is causing a refresh. There was talk about Akami also doing this, however I have disabled its automatic actions a while ago and I still have this issue.

Poking around, Taskbar & desktop randomly refreshes after upgrading to ten Solved - Windows 10 Forums talks about using the reliability monitor to see what may be causing the refresh or any other issues, and it looks
    like Explorer.exe is crashing a LOT. The post Taskbar & desktop randomly refreshes after upgrading to ten Solved - Windows 10 Forums has information on how to setup
    dump capturing for the crash, using windbg to isolate what component interacted with explorer and caused the crash, and how to find what that component belongs to. Another user later mentioned a tool in post Taskbar & desktop randomly refreshes after upgrading to ten Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    to help resolve their specific issue.

I believe the user talking about the debug diag tool meant: Download Debug Diagnostic Tool v1.2 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Seikojin, Sep 19, 2015
  3. fjungman Win User
    Desktop & Task Bar refresh every few minutes after Win 10 upgrade - with loss of focus, ejection from Win Explorer or Control panel

Mine was once every 60 seconds, like clockwork. None of the common files mentioned (IDT Audio, Bitdefender, etc.) were the culprit. It was MLCFG32.CPL, which was located in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 directory. I never installed the
    mail application, yet it was crashing explorer.exe.

I used these instructions (7th in list) to debug it (much thanks to Tractable):

Taskbar & desktop randomly refreshes after upgrading to ten Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Hope this helps someone!

fjungman, Sep 19, 2015
  4. joeyroks Win User

I have the same issue.. I think its a bug in Windows 10, maybe its gonna be fixed later in a update...

joeyroks, Sep 20, 2015
  5. have a look in Reliability History
    Go into Control Panel and search for reliability

Not sure if this is normal or not, but I get this when a store app has been updated
    Reliability History will show if an app has been updated so you can see if they tie into when you see the refresh

paulsalter, Sep 20, 2015
  6. joeyroks Win User
    Thanks i'm gonna look to *Biggrin

joeyroks, Sep 20, 2015
  7. Pumpsmith Win User
    Thanks, I just had a look and found multiple instances of windows explorer stopped working. However I'm not totally sure that's it. I will have to monitor it to see it happen.

We may be able to narrow it down if we compare are applications possibly.

Do you have any autodesk products installed? This caused the same issue in win8

What security setup and any other related things do you have running? Mine is the stock windows defender + ccleaner and have disabled a lot of startup stuff, all of which I know what it is though.....like One drive. I also have a program called Starter and I have disabled a lot of unnecessary services like bonjor from apple from starting up.

Both laptop and desktop are wireless. I will try turning off to test.

I doubt any of these could be the cause though :-/

Pumpsmith, Sep 20, 2015
  8. Pumpsmith Win User

Ok to confirm, I just caught it happening again and quickly checked the event viewer and reliability history. Its definitely the explorer.exe, found a load of instances in the last week. I can't seem to find anything else which happens at the same time though.

I can view the technical info of each event, but they all seem similar. However one interesting thing to note is that most of them seem to be located at C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe and then I found one located at C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE (why caps?)".

"Explorer.EXE" formatted like that used to show up on my win7 because I had a custom start orb or something, I remember researching it. But I've never had win 7 on laptop or theme patched it. Its probably nothing to do with it, but is a little curious.

Pumpsmith, Sep 21, 2015
  9. tractable Win User
    Well, I am having this issue for the last 10 days, until today i decided to kill it. It took 3 hours to troubleshoot and finally issue no more exist.
    1-First you need to know which file/program is culprit for crashing explorer.exe. Make a folder in "c" drive and name it "dumps".
    Open notepad and copy the following.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe]
    "DumpFolder"=hex(2):63,00,3a,00,5c,00,64,00,75,00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00
    "DumpCount"=dword:00000002
    "DumpType"=dword:00000002

Save the file on desktop as explorercrashdumps-to-C.reg , run the file and it will add entries in registry. Now whenever explorer crashes, it will write a dump file in c:/dumps
    2. Go to Kits and tools for Windows 10 - Windows 10 Hardware Dev Center
    click on Get Debugging Tools for Windows (WinDbg) (from the SDK). Run it and during installation check only Windbg (it was 200-300 mb i recall), it will download and install Windbg.
    3. Meanwhile your explorer must have crashed some times and you will be able to see at least two dump files in c:/dumps
    make a new folder in C:/localsymbols, Open Windbg (x64 or X32 based on your OS), choose File>Symbol file path and wirte SRV*c:\localsymbols*Symbol information and click ok.
    Go to File>Open crash dump and choose one of the dump files in C:/dumps.
    You may see something similar to this:

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.10240.9 AMD64
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\dumps\explorer.exe.6712.dmp]
    User Mini Dump File with Full Memory: Only application data is available

WARNING: Minidump contains unknown stream type 0x15
    WARNING: Minidump contains unknown stream type 0x16

************* Symbol Path validation summary **************
    Response Time (ms) Location
    Deferred SRV*c:\localsymbols*Symbol information
    Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\localsymbols*Symbol information
    Executable search path is:
    Windows 10 Version 10240 MP (4 procs) Free x64
    Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS Personal
    Built by: 10.0.10240.16384 (th1.150709-1700)
    Machine Name:
    Debug session time: Wed Sep 23 01:00:48.000 2015 (UTC + 3:00)
    System Uptime: 0 days 1:42:19.488
    Process Uptime: 0 days 0:02:43.000
    Loading unloaded module list
    This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
    The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
    (1a38.c4c): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
    No .natvis files found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64\Visualizers.
    ntdll!NtWaitForMultipleObjects+0xa:
    00007ff8`01933aaa c3 ret

There is a box at the bottom of windbg, write !analyze -v
    The status will come as busy (you must be connected to internet) and different files will be downloaded. After few minutes you will see detail crash report.

Last few lines I am copying here:
    SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 0
    SYMBOL_NAME: vtkfiltering.dll!Unloaded+0
    FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner
    MODULE_NAME: vtkFiltering
    IMAGE_NAME: vtkFiltering.dll
    DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 4e1d3238
    STACK_COMMAND: .ecxr ; ~~[0xc4c]s ; .frame 0 ; ** Pseudo Context ** ; kb
    FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: INVALID_CLASS_PTR_READ_FINALIZER_LEAK_IN_CALL_c0000005_vtkFiltering.dll!Unloaded
    BUCKET_ID: INVALID_CLASS_PTR_READ_INVALID_POINTER_READ_FINALIZER_LEAK_IN_CALL_vtkfiltering.dll!Unloaded+0
    PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS: INVALID_CLASS_PTR_READ_INVALID_POINTER_READ_FINALIZER_LEAK_IN_CALL_vtkfiltering.dll!Unloaded+0
    FAILURE_PROBLEM_CLASS: INVALID_CLASS_PTR_READ_FINALIZER_LEAK_IN_CALL
    FAILURE_EXCEPTION_CODE: c0000005
    FAILURE_IMAGE_NAME: vtkFiltering.dll
    FAILURE_FUNCTION_NAME: Unloaded
    FAILURE_SYMBOL_NAME: vtkFiltering.dll!Unloaded
    ANALYSIS_SOURCE: UM
    FAILURE_ID_HASH_STRING: um:invalid_class_ptr_read_finalizer_leak_in_call_c0000005_vtkfiltering.dll!unloaded
    FAILURE_ID_HASH: {126d30c7-9792-66f7-c085-c1398cc18998}
    Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

Note down the failure symbol name , failure image name. You can also click on module name and it will show you a link of "browse full module list". Click on this link and you will see many .dll files, you need to copy their names and search in c: drive and program folders and look their location. The relevant software in program files is the culprit and you must uninstall it.
    In my case and in most of the cases reported on internet all files belong to Autodesk inventor Bin folder located within Inventor folder. I have cut Bin folder and pasted it at different location and my problem is resolved.
    Thanks,

tractable, Sep 22, 2015
  10. joeyroks Win User
    I have ccleaner en Windows Defender and i have a lot of background startup programs disabled, but i have the newest insider build so sometimes my explorer just crash... so i don't think i can help you with this now

joeyroks, Sep 22, 2015
  11. Pumpsmith Win User
    Thanks for all the info *Biggrin. This looks very promising, especially as you mention it was autodesk associated. I do have that folder I think, Ill have to check properly tomorrow or next day. I will give what you suggested a try and hopefully nail it.

Thanks again

Pumpsmith, Sep 25, 2015
  12. Pumpsmith Win User
    Ok I've tested it about a week and the problem is gone! *Smile

Big thanks to tractable . I used the ms debug diagnostic tool and tracked it down the autodesk sync. I was to scared to uninstall it in case some of my stuff relied on it, so I just transferred all the .dll files in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk Sync to a folder on my desktop so sync won't work anymore.

So far everything is good, no crashes at all.

Pumpsmith, Oct 12, 2015
  13. jrtrout Win User

I have performed debugging as mentioned above, but now I can't seem to find the files to move or delete. File explorer keeps crashing when I search for all the .dll files. Can't seem to find Autodesk either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

jrtrout, Jan 30, 2016
  14. WNYer Win User
    THANK YOU, TRACTABLE!! I've read through tons of support sites and forums for months...tried all the suggestions and nothing worked. I had to press the mouse button so many times to continue typing or scrolling due to all the refreshes that I had to replace my palmrest to fix the mouse button! The dump file said IDTNC64.CPL was the culprit. Since it wasn't a .dll file, I searched it to understand what it was. "The root cause of the problem is that the audio software supplied by IDT and used by several PC manufacturers (Dell, HP and probably others) is not compatible with Windows 10. IDTNC64.CPL is one component of that software and the correct solution is to uninstall the IDT audio altogether." And so I uninstalled it. VOILA! No more refreshes! Feels great to be productive again! Thank you!

WNYer, Apr 11, 2016
  15. dherberg Win User
    Dunno if you found a solution yet. What work for me on two different machines uninstalling iCloud on one computer and the refresh went away. On another I uninstalled IDT Audio and THAT worked as well.

dherberg, Jun 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Taskbar & desktop randomly refreshes after upgrading to ten - Similar Threads - Taskbar desktop randomly

2. Desktop and taskbar constantly refreshing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop and taskbar constantly refreshing: This has been happening for a few days, I’ve tried solutions to no avail. I’m pretty sure windows problem reporting is the cause of it though, since when I end it in task manager the refreshing stops, but at that point I still can’t do anything because the taskbar and desktop...
  3. Taskbar Randomly Refreshed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Randomly Refreshed: Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!So recently, the taskbar of my PC refreshed, I did nothing and I didn't have any resource intensive apps open.Is there any reason why this happened?HP Sent me this PC after their repaired it at one of their shops.I've scanned my PC with...
  4. Taskbar Randomly Refreshed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar Randomly Refreshed: Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!So recently, the taskbar of my PC refreshed, I did nothing and I didn't have any resource intensive apps open.Is there any reason why this happened?HP Sent me this PC after their repaired it at one of their shops.I've scanned my PC with...
  5. Taskbar Randomly Refreshed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Refreshing taskbar and desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Refreshing taskbar and desktop.: Dear users, I have recently run into a recurring issue where my pc seems to do a routine refresh. It doesn't matter what apps are open, the screen goes slightly whiter and pulls me out to the desktop where i have to watch my apps refresh flicker. I then have to go back...
  7. Desktop & taskbar randomly refreshes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop & taskbar randomly refreshes: Started to notice it around a year ago. Randomly my desktop keep refreshing itself and while im browsing sometimes i can see Chrome icon on my taskbar blink (like it got unselected for a split second). I did 2 reinstall since it started and it keeps returning. submitted by...
  8. Desktop/Taskbar keeps refreshing after logging in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop/Taskbar keeps refreshing after logging in: After a windows update last night I go to login and everything is fine. Then after logging in, the desktop screen and taskbar keeps refreshing every 5 seconds. I was able to get into task manager quick enough and it is not effected by the refreshing. It appears that windows...
  9. Taskbar refreshes randomly?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar refreshes randomly?: it doesn't happen every 2 minutes, but it's really noticeable and distracting. i've tried doing the restore files thing and that didn't work, and my graphics driver is already updated. i think what could have caused the refreshing was updating it, since i started noticing it...
  10. Desktop Taskbar Refresh

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Taskbar Refresh: Having just upgraded to Windows 10 from W 7. My problem is that the Desktop and the Task Bar frequently refreshes. This results in any work I am doing on the Desktop is cancelled. Can anybody please help. Thanks in anticipation 54757