Windows 10: Taskbar doesn't work

Discus and support Taskbar doesn't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, today after booting up my PC I noticed that my taskbar would overlap with the YouTube video I was watching. At first I thought that i could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by firephoenix, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Taskbar doesn't work

Hello,
    today after booting up my PC I noticed that my taskbar would overlap with the YouTube video I was watching.
    At first I thought that i could just fix it by restarting the Explorer using the Task Manager, but after that didn't work, I just restarted my computer. That also didn't work. After a quick google search I saw that I could try something with the Taskbar-Settings, but they didnt open. I also can't use the windows key (both on my keyboard and the task bar).
    I really have no idea on how to fix it and any help is really appreciated.

:)

firephoenix, Feb 16, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User

I love when Windows taskbar doesnt work

Anybody know exactly how the OP's Taskbar "doesn't work?"

My Taskbar works fine.

BulldogXX, Feb 16, 2018
  3. Windows 10 taskbar doesn't work.

my pc's windows 10 taskbar doesn't work.

the start screen doesn't open.

Cortana doesn't run when I click icon.

action center doesn't open and when I right click on apps on the taskbar the menu doesn't open.

Masterchief512, Feb 16, 2018
  4. CmmTch Win User

Taskbar doesn't work

Welcome to tenforums firephoenix *Smile

Open settings (the gear icon) either from the taskbar or the start menu, click Personalization > Taskbar (on the side menu) this opens the settings for the taskbar.

There are probably a dozen or more settings, you should be able to find what you're looking for there.

Good luck *Smile

CmmTch, Feb 16, 2018
  5. Thats the problem. The windows icon doesnt work, so I cant open the Start Menu

6. CmmTch Win User
    Sorry 'bout that, I misunderstood and thought the taskbar was what you couldn't get to *Confused Didn't realize the Start button was having problems too.

Try this, on the desktop do a right click, then select personalize on the menu box that appears. That should bring up the settings box.

CmmTch, Feb 16, 2018
  7. Tried that, anything settings related doesn't seem to work

8. Bree New Member

Taskbar doesn't work

Does WinKey+R bring up the Run box? If so, run ms-settings:taskbar to get the Taskbar settings, or just ms-settings: to get the Settings home page.

If you can get a command prompt you can also open Settings with the command start ms-settings:

9. I can get the run window, but it still doesn't start

firephoenix, Feb 17, 2018
  10. Update: After looking into taskmanager i found a window telling me an error-number: dateisystemfehler -2147219200

11. EdTittel Win User
    According to my knowledge of German, this translates in "file system error" and with that error code, I found this answers.MS.com thread "File system error." Looks like you want to try checking your system files for corruption. The best way to do this is to run the system file checker and/or DISM, as follows (in an admin command prompt window or PowerShell (Admin) session).

First, try this DISM command which simply checks your Component Store for errors:
    Code: dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth[/quote] This runs quickly and will let you know if it finds anything.

Next, try this command to see if the system file checker finds anything wrong with your Windows system files:
    Code: sfc /scannow[/quote] Warning! This can take some time to complete, so be patient. If it finds anything, most experts recommend that it be run THREE TIMES (so, two more times after the first run) to completely clean things up.

The heavy artillery is DISM cleanup:
    Code: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth[/quote] This, too, takes a while. Sometimes this will throw errors because DISM can't find the files it needs to replace damaged component store elements locally. In that case you'll need to re-run the command and add the /source attribute to point to a known, good, working .wim or .esd file for the current version of Windows you have installed (must match for bittedness [32 or 64-bit], language, and version [Home, Pro, Enterprise, Education]). This is well-covered in Brink's excellent tutorial: "Use DISM to Repair Windows 10."
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 17, 2018
  12. Is there any way to open PowerShell with the run window? I cant open it with the start menu, because that doesnt work

13. AndreTen Win User

Taskbar doesn't work

typing powershell.exe would do that. You can also run it from Task manager (in file - run new task - type powershell and check mark for elevated)

Taskbar doesn't work [​IMG]

AndreTen, Feb 17, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
    ...and you open task manager from the run box, run taskmgr.exe

15. AndreTen Win User
    *Smile
    or Ctrl + shift + esc... or ctrl + alt + del

AndreTen, Feb 17, 2018
Thema:

Taskbar doesn't work

1. Taskbar doesn't work - Similar Threads - Taskbar doesn't

2. I have a problem when ever I open windows my taskbar doesn't show and i have to click...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a problem when ever I open windows my taskbar doesn't show and i have to click...: I tried my settings all the stuff but doesn't work what do i do?!?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-problem-when-ever-i-open-windows-my/f13f18b1-9686-4c48-b165-e0ac6a806024
  3. I have a problem when ever I open windows my taskbar doesn't show and i have to click...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a problem when ever I open windows my taskbar doesn't show and i have to click...: I tried my settings all the stuff but doesn't work what do i do?!?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-problem-when-ever-i-open-windows-my/f13f18b1-9686-4c48-b165-e0ac6a806024
  4. When I move my cursor to the bottom of my screen, the taskbar doesn't show up, and I want...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I move my cursor to the bottom of my screen, the taskbar doesn't show up, and I want...: I realised that the taskbar is just hidden behind all the tabs, how do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-move-my-cursor-to-the-bottom-of-my-screen/0eb1dbfe-3b0c-4797-bda5-959c8eb1a252
  5. When I move my cursor to the bottom of my screen, the taskbar doesn't show up, and I want...

When I move my cursor to the bottom of my screen, the taskbar doesn't show up, and I want...: I realised that the taskbar is just hidden behind all the tabs, how do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-move-my-cursor-to-the-bottom-of-my-screen/0eb1dbfe-3b0c-4797-bda5-959c8eb1a252
  6. Taskbar Search Doesn't Show Recents

Taskbar Search Doesn't Show Recents: When I go to the search icon in taskbar, right click to open pane, click on search, it only shows trending and masses of irrelevant crud. It used to show recent searches, making the box pretty empty, which was great. Now suddenly it has tons of useless suggestions. How do I...
  7. Taskbar Search Doesn't Show Recents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Search Doesn't Show Recents: When I go to the search icon in taskbar, right click to open pane, click on search, it only shows trending and masses of irrelevant crud. It used to show recent searches, making the box pretty empty, which was great. Now suddenly it has tons of useless suggestions. How do I...
  8. Taskbar Search Doesn't Show Recents

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. My language bar on the taskbar doesn't have the "classic" design

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My language bar on the taskbar doesn't have the "classic" design: Hello!I recently added a new input language to my system. I only had 1 language installed on my Windows 10 until recently. The problem is that the language bar on the taskbar looks like an old version. It looks like this: I thought it needs to look like this: How can I change...
  10. My language bar on the taskbar doesn't have the "classic" design

My language bar on the taskbar doesn't have the "classic" design: Hello!I recently added a new input language to my system. I only had 1 language installed on my Windows 10 until recently. The problem is that the language bar on the taskbar looks like an old version. It looks like this: I thought it needs to look like this: How can I change...