Windows 10: Taskbar freezes after a minute, refreshing explorer only temporary

Discus and support Taskbar freezes after a minute, refreshing explorer only temporary in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, Just one of many issues that has plagued my laptop recently is the inability to use the taskbar to open applications, run programs, open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Voxelated, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Voxelated Win User

Taskbar freezes after a minute, refreshing explorer only temporary

Hello all,

Just one of many issues that has plagued my laptop recently is the inability to use the taskbar to open applications, run programs, open the start menu, or any of the extraneous functions located in the bottom right corner (an exception to this is the "Show desktop" panel in the bottom right, which still functions as normal and is able to minimize all applications at once). I have tried many different solutions, none of which have worked:

• Closing/Restarting the "explorer" process in the expanded Task Manager. When I do this, the taskbar works as normal, though only for a brief moment. It has been the only way I can open up applications (Alt+Tab is surprisingly unreliable at displaying minimized processes). I have noted that when restarting explorer, it ceases to work once third party applications (placed under the carat near the wifi symbol) appear in the dock, along with the battery life.
    • Attempting to perform the series of instructions listed here- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...39195ea?auth=1 . Powershell will not accept the command and running as an administrator is an impossibility, as right clicking on an application or shortcut simply leads to hanging on the layer it resided in (any explorer window will lock, as will the desktop, though the other windows that were not right-clicked in remain responsive).
    • Tomfoolery with folders and other objects is possible though slow.
    • Any attempt to restart the computer, of course, simply results in the same issues.

I suspect it is being driven by a third party application, as the taskbar hangs once these are represented in it, but which one? There are a multitude of culprits, being a home computer, from antiviral software to games to social messaging applications including Skype or Discord. Any additional information as required can be (or attempted to be) supplied as necessary.

:)

Voxelated, Oct 26, 2016

2. Windows 10, Taskbar frozen

my laptop taskbar take not responding after do this (ctrl+shift+esc)

MaNoJ CHouDHary_ 773, Oct 26, 2016
  3. Windows 10, Taskbar frozen

There is a fairly easy but temporary fix for the problem.

Whenever the Taskbar freezes

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager

2. Under the Head "Windows Processes" of the Processes Menu find Windows Explorer.

3. Click on it and then Click on Restart button on the bottom right.

4. In a few seconds Explorer restarts and Taskbar starts working again.

ArchitKhandelwal, Oct 26, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

First, try a Clean Boot. If this works then go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. If you can't Right click, browse to C:\Windows\system32 scroll down and look for CMD.exe and click it.
    In the Elevated Command Prompt type SFC /scannow and press enter. This will replace any missing system files.

spunk, Oct 26, 2016
  5. Voxelated,

Welcome to the forum!

Does the same problem happen in Safe Mode (SM)?
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
    Go to: Option 2

^^Good suspicion!^^

...and if the issue does not happen in SM, that gives more validity to your thought.

cottonball, Oct 26, 2016
  6. Voxelated Win User
    Hello, I'm on my phone now as my computer has severely crippled in function.

Perhaps I should have mentioned I was running the display via external monitor; I was not aware that booting the computer into safe mode would cause it to ignore the drivers associated with HDMI. As my computer screen is broken, I have no way to see what shows up now.

So, to derail my own topic, I have two paths to persue in getting my computer fixed once more:

ーBuy an HDMI to DVI adapter and attempt to rectify my issue. I'm not sure if this will work considering I'll still need an HDMI port, but I believe DVI is built in, no?
    ーSee if I can blindly reconfigure Windows to boot into normal mode, allowing me to continue once more.

If anyone knows how to fix this issue, I would much appreciate it.

Voxelated, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Taskbar freezes after a minute, refreshing explorer only temporary - Similar Threads - Taskbar freezes minute

2. Windows Taskbar freezes. the PC restarts after 5 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Taskbar freezes. the PC restarts after 5 minutes: Hi there,I've recently built a new PC and noticed that my computer would start freezing and restarting randomly. It happened at around 4am when the computer wasn't in use and then has happened twice on seperate days while working on my PC. I noticed that the taskbar and my...
  3. Windows Taskbar freezes. the PC restarts after 5 minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Taskbar freezes. the PC restarts after 5 minutes: Hi there,I've recently built a new PC and noticed that my computer would start freezing and restarting randomly. It happened at around 4am when the computer wasn't in use and then has happened twice on seperate days while working on my PC. I noticed that the taskbar and my...
  4. Windows Taskbar freezes. the PC restarts after 5 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Alienware Temporary Freeze every few minutes, black screen, crashes only sometimes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Alienware Temporary Freeze every few minutes, black screen, crashes only sometimes: I have an older Alienware 18x. Using an mSata 1TB Samsung EVO Boot. Had it for years. Works fine. Undated Win 7 to 10 years ago. No issues at all. Game for hours.Suddenly a month ago, it started acting up. It would freeze, the fans would race, the screen would blink off or go...
  6. Windows Alienware Temporary Freeze every few minutes, black screen, crashes only sometimes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Alienware Temporary Freeze every few minutes, black screen, crashes only sometimes: I have an older Alienware 18x. Using an mSata 1TB Samsung EVO Boot. Had it for years. Works fine. Undated Win 7 to 10 years ago. No issues at all. Game for hours.Suddenly a month ago, it started acting up. It would freeze, the fans would race, the screen would blink off or go...
  7. Windows Alienware Temporary Freeze every few minutes, black screen, crashes only sometimes

8. Windows 10 freezes only a few minutes after startup.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 freezes only a few minutes after startup.: Hello. I have recently reset my laptop and everything was working fine until a large update needed to be installed. It got to 21% and suddenly ran into an issue which restarted my pc. Afterwards, while it was booting, an error saying "Media test failure check cable" and it...
  9. Screen freezes after refreshing on a boot

Screen freezes after refreshing on a boot: When I start my PC and refresh it, The screen instantly freezes and I cant select any icon. It happens every time. The comes to normal after about 5 minutes. What can I do?...
  10. Taskbar Refresh

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Refresh: I was curious to know if this was something common in any of the updates for Win10. Currently running OS Build 16299.402 of 1709. Everytime I open a program (usually which are Adobe titles) and I go to file open or to a file save, the first time I click on either of these,...