Windows 10: Taskbar Icon Troubles

Discus and support Taskbar Icon Troubles in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Am having a frustrating problem with my taskbar, the icons keep disappearing after I reboot/shutdown the machine. Today the problem seems to be getting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Riesling, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Riesling Win User

Taskbar Icon Troubles

Am having a frustrating problem with my taskbar, the icons keep disappearing after I reboot/shutdown the machine. Today the problem seems to be getting worse in that I can no longer (permanently) pin items to the taskbar. When the applications are open they appear there correctly, but if I close them they disappear from the taskbar.

Computer is an Asus ROG laptop, with Win10 Home. I've got 2 monitors hooked up to it, so its not running in tablet mode (which seems to be the only thing that normally causes this problem). Have also tried pinning the applications to the taskbar from the start menu with right clicking them from there and choosing "pin to start". Afterwards there is no change to the taskbar. Have right clicked on the exe files in the file explorer, chosen pin to start and then watched nothing change on the taskbar.

Prior to today I could restart explorer.exe from the run command and my pinned icons would show back up. Now that isn't working so am at a loss on where the actual problem might be. Any help/suggestions are appreciated at this point.

:)

Riesling, Jul 3, 2017

2. If I upgrade will all of my files and icons on desktop or taskbar still be there?

Something went wrong then, it shouldn't do that. Sorry for your trouble, please drag the icons you like back to the taskbar and drop them.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jul 3, 2017
  3. pmbgsilva Win User
    Windows 10 build 10547 taskbar stop working

Hi,

I have some trouble with my taskbar, when I click on taskbar system icons, such as power, network or sound everything in my taskbar stops working, start menu, cortana, others taskbar system icons, clock, action center, or even right click option. I have
    to restart the pc to solve the issue, or log out the account, restarting File explorer doesn't work either. If I don't click those system icons (power, network or sound ), everything runs just fine.

pmbgsilva, Jul 3, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Taskbar Icon Troubles

Check operating system integrity, drive, user id,interfering services

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste these commands:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3) chkdsk /scan
    4) net user test /add
    5) shutdown /r
    When the computer reboots log on with the new user named test.
    Check the problems with the task bar to see if the are present or absent.

Additional options if problems persist after creating a new user:
    place computer in clean boot > check performance
    place computer in safe mode > check performance
    perform in place upgrade repair and save files and applications

Let us know the results of steps 1 -5 and if you need additional help.

zbook, Jul 3, 2017
  5. Riesling Win User
    My apologies for the slow reply, this has been an extremely busy week for my line of work. With the steps outlined I didn't receive any errors, everything completed successfully. Here were the results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.15063.0

Image Version: 10.0.15063.0

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

124492796 KB total disk space.
    62644716 KB in 124391 files.
    93740 KB in 30135 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    449820 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    61304520 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    31123199 total allocation units on disk.
    15326130 allocation units available on disk.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

When I logged into the test account, the icons that should be there (from the OS clean install defaults) on the taskbar were there, and remained after I rebooted. I added a few to the taskbar to test them out, and they remained after reboot.

What then became odd was that when I logged out of the test, and then went into my normal account the pinned icons correctly loaded; then on reboot disappeared again.

I used to be in IT, but have been out of it for nearly 10 years now, Windows 7 was the last OS I really knew inside and out. To me it seems like a corrupted profile, would it be best to just create a new one and nuke my current one? Its a local account so aside from copying files over don't think I'll have much to loose, would that be best?

Riesling, Jul 7, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    The steps have confirmed that the operating system is ok.
    The steps have confirmed that the user profile is corrupt.
    The easiest method is to use a new user profile.
    If you are comfortable navigating the registry the user profile can be fixed.
    However in most circumstances the new user profile is the most efficient and effective method as it solves the problem immediately with little if any risk.

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Taskbar Icon Troubles

1. Taskbar Icon Troubles - Similar Threads - Taskbar Icon Troubles

2. Trouble with Taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble with Taskbar Icons: Hello,I recently purchased a new Lenovo laptop and I notice a problem I have with a Dell laptop I have. The Windows 11 taskbar does not show the icons for my programs properly. Some are fine, but many are just a white box with a blue box inside. I have tried numerous ways to...
  3. Trouble with Taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble with Taskbar Icons: Hello,I recently purchased a new Lenovo laptop and I notice a problem I have with a Dell laptop I have. The Windows 11 taskbar does not show the icons for my programs properly. Some are fine, but many are just a white box with a blue box inside. I have tried numerous ways to...
  4. taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    taskbar icons: I have my icons looks like white folder in my taskbar. When I click those icons it will open the app but sometimes I will misclick the app that I need since it is all the same white folder. I need to get my icon image back....
  5. taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    taskbar icons: I have my icons looks like white folder in my taskbar. When I click those icons it will open the app but sometimes I will misclick the app that I need since it is all the same white folder. I need to get my icon image back....
  6. Taskbar in trouble

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Taskbar in trouble: I have problems with the taskbar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-in-trouble/36e1ae68-ca3c-4fd0-8b64-1ef711d86be6
  7. No taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No taskbar icons: Window task bar icons were not visible after window update installation. After which i restarted my Dell Inspiron laptop with safe mode. ( Task manager>files>msconfig.exe) After which window restarted in safe mode and i am unable to login with my pin password or account...
  8. taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    taskbar icons: How do I make the icons on the taskbar LARGE in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icons/49d66daa-547e-4bc8-b41d-6b6469340fe5
  9. Trouble with shortcut icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Trouble with shortcut icons: My shortcut icons (which I created on the websites) are empty. When I go into their "properties" the target is a google app. When I try to change the target to the appropriate web address I get an error message that target is invalid. Is something interfering with me? 91788
  10. Taskbar icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar icon: How do I get rid of this? [img] 77636