Windows 10: Taskbar icons hidden until new program is pinned

Discus and support Taskbar icons hidden until new program is pinned in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've read many posts about hidden icons or icons showing wrong images etc, but my problem seem to be different from others. When I log on after a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Maothor, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Maothor Win User

Taskbar icons hidden until new program is pinned

I've read many posts about hidden icons or icons showing wrong images etc, but my problem seem to be different from others.
    When I log on after a reboot, I only see the search icon and the Task View icon in the task bar even though I have several other programs pinned.
    If I open a pinned program I see it in the task bar and have the option to unpin the r-click menu, but if I close it, the icon disappears again.
    If I open a program that is not pinned, and I r-click and pin the program, the task bar seems to 'refresh' and suddenly I see all my pinned programs in the task bar - and they all work when clicking on them.

Can anyone tell me how I can make the task bar show the pinned programs without having to pin a new program after every reboot?

Thanks in advance *Smile

:)

Maothor, Mar 4, 2016

2. Pinning programs to the taskbar

When I pin a program to the taskbar, it does it correctly and the icon is visible and clickable. However, when I click the icon to run the program, the program opens but two icons now become visible on the taskbar: the original pinned program and the
    running program. It does this with Firefox, Musicbee, and almost all of the programs that I pin. Does anyone have a possible solution to this?

BenjaminKitchens, Mar 4, 2016
  3. adding new printer icon to taskbar in Windows 10

I changed printers, but the printer icon is missing (from the old printer) and I can't figure out how to add the icon for the new default printer to the taskbar. The only instructions seem to be for pinning a program to the taskbar.

IngridMcGowan, Mar 4, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Maothor, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

This may be corrupted. If you like, use the tutorial below to reset and clear all pinned items on the taskbar. Afterwards, pin your items back to the taskbar to see if they will work properly now.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Mar 7, 2016
  5. Maothor Win User
    Running the commands in the .bat file did delete the files and the registry entries, but that didn't solve the problem for me unfortunately *Sad

Maothor, Mar 7, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 7, 2016
  7. Maothor Win User
    I managed to solve the problem, and thought I'd share the solution.
    I had moved the location of the Desktop folder to a network disk, and for some reason that caused the problem - changing the location of the Desktop folder to the local disk fixed the problem - the pinned icons now show up in the taskbar.
    If anyone can explain why this solved my problem, I'd like to hear about it as it does not make sense to me, since the information about pinned programs is stored somewhere in Registry and in a subfolder to the AppData folder which always resided on my local disk.

Maothor, Mar 7, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Great news.

I'm not sure why either, but moving the desktop folder usually does cause unknown issues.

Brink, Mar 7, 2016
  9. Maothor Win User
    Thanks for taking the time to help *Smile

Maothor, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Taskbar icons hidden until new program is pinned - Similar Threads - Taskbar icons hidden

2. Generic icons for programs pinned to taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Generic icons for programs pinned to taskbar: Only 3rd party programs icons are not showing, windows' programs icons are showing correctly.I can't add screenshot because your editor here doesn't work as it should....
  3. Generic icons for programs pinned to taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Generic icons for programs pinned to taskbar: Only 3rd party programs icons are not showing, windows' programs icons are showing correctly.I can't add screenshot because your editor here doesn't work as it should....
  4. Taskbar ''Show Hidden icons''

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar ''Show Hidden icons'': Hi, when I update my windows to Windows 11 Insider Preview 22538.1000 rs_prerelease I faced like this. What is this and how does it work , is this bug or something? I can't do anything ,doesn't work right click or left click!! Other widgets gone upward ,that is so weird...
  5. Hidden icons in taskbar.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hidden icons in taskbar.: All of a sudden my taskbar hidden icons folder is filling with red X marked icons. New one every 10-15 seconds! Only one visible in taskbar itself. If I click up arrow on taskbar to make them all visible I can just wave my mouse pointer around them and they disappear in no...
  6. Difrent icons on hidden taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Difrent icons on hidden taskbar: As you can see...……. any ideas? [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difrent-icons-on-hidden-taskbar/b0d3cc8a-9854-4cbf-aa64-58c7941caf4d
  7. pinned icons in taskbar are hidden or not visible

pinned icons in taskbar are hidden or not visible: hi there, after an update my pinned icons in the taskbar like windows explorer, internet explorer, and pinned icons like chrome and other stuff which is present on the left-hand bottom as u know are not visible only Cortana and start menu icon and search icon is...
  8. Change taskbar icons of pinned programs

Change taskbar icons of pinned programs: I'd like to change the icon of these icons, but I found no obvious way. [img] 15861
  9. Taskbar remove hidden icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar remove hidden icons: Dear folks In the snapshot attached if I want how can I remove hidden icons in the task bar ? Thanks [img] 101102
  10. Pin Program Icon to Taskbar Permanently

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin Program Icon to Taskbar Permanently: As you can see in the picture below, when I click the Firefox icon, it disappears. Instead, I want it to be there permanently. How to achieve this? [img] 86415