Windows 10: Taskbar Items Not Working?

Discus and support Taskbar Items Not Working? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, By Task Bar items I mean; Start button, Cortana search, speaker icon, Network icon, Date/time. When I click on the badge(?) nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jeddie, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Jeddie Win User

Taskbar Items Not Working?

Hello all,
    By Task Bar items I mean; Start button, Cortana search, speaker icon, Network icon, Date/time. When I click on the badge(?) nothing happens. The apps like File Explorer, Chrome open with no problem.
    If i Right click Start button and click Search then nothing happens.Just had a trojan which I cleared with the help of this site.
    All the above were working fine even while I had the Trojan.The problem occurred after I downloaded Adwcleaner and I updated my Malwarebytes (Free) from ver 2.2x to ver 3.2.2.x.

I have uninstalled Malwarebytes, but the problem persists.

Can anyone advise on what I should to rectify this?

PS just noticed my windows PC updated yesterday; same day as this problem. i'm on 15063.726.

:)

Jeddie, Nov 16, 2017

2. Jumplists for Taskbar items

Where do we now specify the size of the jumplists for taskbar items? It used to be in the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties and after a scan through Settings, I couldn't find anything (or my eyes are letting me down).

Alan Russell, Nov 16, 2017
  3. Items on Taskbar not visible

Hi Louis,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Did you make any changed prior to the issue? Isn’t right click on the program and pin it to taskbar not helping?

I would suggest you to set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications/drivers or startup items are causing the issue.

Refer the article and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, follow the section
    "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

If not, please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

SujataMoktan, Nov 16, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Press the Win key+X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) here type SFC /scannow and press enter. This should replace any missing system files.

spunk, Nov 16, 2017
  5. Jeddie Win User
    Thanks Spunk. Already tried that. Just to be sure just did it again. No integrity violations found.

As I mentioned I had a windows update at the same time the problem presented. Should I do I System Restore?

Any other ideas?

Jeddie, Nov 16, 2017
  6. I have also noticed this problem last couple of days. Start button sporadically does not not work and clicking on pinned apps take longer for them to open.

What is frustrating is that this is a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro literally a few days old.

RamboMcMutNutts, Nov 16, 2017
  7. Jeddie Win User

Ok I have solved my problem. Here's what I did;

• I used a system image from a couple of days ago. This returned the task bar to fully operational status.
    • Then I ran the same programmes as before ie Adwcleaner, followed by Malwarebytes free version. Taskbar is still operational.
    • The only difference is I did not upgrade to Ver 3 of Malwarebytes. So my best guess is this is the culprit.

Jeddie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Taskbar Items Not Working? - Similar Threads - Taskbar Items Working

2. multiple items on taskbar is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    multiple items on taskbar is not working: Hi,I don't know what happen but for some reason most of the items on my taskbar is not working this includes; search bar, calendar, and even weather....
  3. multiple items on taskbar is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    multiple items on taskbar is not working: Hi,I don't know what happen but for some reason most of the items on my taskbar is not working this includes; search bar, calendar, and even weather....
  4. multiple items on taskbar is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. w10 multiple items on taskbar not working

w10 multiple items on taskbar not working: I noticed that multiple items on my taskbar is not working. When I click on the apps such as clock and calendar it will close automatically right away. What can I do to fix this?...
  6. Taskbar items not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar items not working properly: I noticed a while ago I couldn't open my calendar by left clicking on my clock as I normally did. Then I realized clicking the volume button wouldn't open the volume control, and now I find right clicking on or hovering above apps in the taskbar i.e. File Explorer does...
  7. Taskbar items not working properly

Taskbar items not working properly: I noticed a while ago I couldn't open my calendar by left clicking on my clock as I normally did. Then I realized clicking the volume button wouldn't open the volume control, and now I find right clicking on or hovering above apps in the taskbar i.e. File Explorer does...
  8. Taskbar items not working properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. taskbar and menu items not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    taskbar and menu items not working: After an apparently smooth upgrade to Win 10 I realised the buttons on the taskbar don't lauch the programs anymore. Nor do the items on the start menu. The only few that work are the ones added by Win 10 such as Microsoft Edge, and inexplicably Skype and Viber. I have...
  10. Taskbar Items Not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Items Not working: Start, Search items won't open from the taskbar. Clicking on Start or search results in the busy icon showing for less that a second and nothing else happens! Tried restarting explorer - no joy. 11982