Windows 10: Taskbar Items Not working

Discus and support Taskbar Items Not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Start, Search items won't open from the taskbar. Clicking on Start or search results in the busy icon showing for less that a second and nothing else... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by flhthemi, Aug 2, 2015.

1. flhthemi Win User

Taskbar Items Not working

Start, Search items won't open from the taskbar. Clicking on Start or search results in the busy icon showing for less that a second and nothing else happens!

Tried restarting explorer - no joy.

:)

flhthemi, Aug 2, 2015
  2. Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 2, 2015
  3. nhanley19 Win User
    Taskbar Problems

This may seem a little confusing, but I'll try to explain it as best as I can.

Basically, when trying to attempt some taskbar functions, when I try to click on stuff, nothing happens. I can switch between open programs on the taskbar, select items in the search bar in the taskbar, right click on the items (to see more options), open
    the action center, etc., but, selecting items within the action center (i.e. deleting notifications, going into quiet hours mode, etc.) no longer works. Clicking on functions after right clicking on a taskbar icon no longer works. The settings app no longer
    works, as I can't click on anything there.

Interestingly enough, the Groove app seem to be partially unaffected (I can play music, but I can't look into albums). Any help is appreciated.

nhanley19, Aug 2, 2015
  4. flhthemi Win User

Well now it's happening on another machine! This has been an issue, it seems, for sometime with Win 10 and it's still not resolved anywhere that I can find.....this sux!

flhthemi, Aug 4, 2015
  5. kshillmck Win User
    I have the same problem. Nothing launches when selected from the taskbar; not even the start menu. I've rebooted....killed the explorer....and nothing works. This is very frustrating!

kshillmck, Aug 10, 2015
  6. usgroupie Win User
    I have three Dells (2 Desk & 1 Lap). Had upgraded to Win10 from 8.1 on or about Aug. 1. Yesterday Win10 did update KB3081436 on 1 Desk and Lap, after which the Taskbar icons for Start, Search and New Notifications still appear in Taskbar, but do not open. With this, cannot access Settings, Action Center, Windows Update, Search, etc.

The 3rd Dell Desk had not yet installed the KB and the icons still worked. I went ahead and installed KB3081436 on 3rd Dell, and now have the same problem with icons not working.

I uninstalled the KB in the Dell Lap, rebooted, and the icons still do not work. Ran sfc /scannow, dism /online /cleanup-image /restore health (and checkhealth), and no issues reported. I then did a manual download and install of the

Also ran Fix Problems with Windows Update, System Maintenance, MalwareBytes.

So, I narrowed it to the KB3081436 update of Aug. 11 when the problem started.

Dear Mr. Gates and oh mighty program effects lady, please do I have one number right? And even if you issue another grand update, how am I to get it and install it if I cannot access Windows Update? Why did “uninstall” of the KB3081436 not restore the icons to original state?

Thank you.

usgroupie, Aug 11, 2015
  7. vegasf1 Win User
    My problems started with this same update as well. The action center, settings, windows update, cortana, etc. all do not work as should or do not work at all in some cases. I can't even change between my 2.4 and 5.0 wifi channels anymore. I regret upgrading to win 10 within the first 3 months. I knew I should have let a few months go by before adopting it. We are the true beta testers.

vegasf1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Taskbar Items Not working - Similar Threads - Taskbar Items working

2. multiple items on taskbar is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    multiple items on taskbar is not working: Hi,I don't know what happen but for some reason most of the items on my taskbar is not working this includes; search bar, calendar, and even weather....
  3. multiple items on taskbar is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    multiple items on taskbar is not working: Hi,I don't know what happen but for some reason most of the items on my taskbar is not working this includes; search bar, calendar, and even weather....
  4. multiple items on taskbar is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. w10 multiple items on taskbar not working

w10 multiple items on taskbar not working: I noticed that multiple items on my taskbar is not working. When I click on the apps such as clock and calendar it will close automatically right away. What can I do to fix this?...
  6. Taskbar items not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar items not working properly: I noticed a while ago I couldn't open my calendar by left clicking on my clock as I normally did. Then I realized clicking the volume button wouldn't open the volume control, and now I find right clicking on or hovering above apps in the taskbar i.e. File Explorer does...
  7. Taskbar items not working properly

Taskbar items not working properly: I noticed a while ago I couldn't open my calendar by left clicking on my clock as I normally did. Then I realized clicking the volume button wouldn't open the volume control, and now I find right clicking on or hovering above apps in the taskbar i.e. File Explorer does...
  8. Taskbar items not working properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Taskbar Items Not Working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Items Not Working?: Hello all, By Task Bar items I mean; Start button, Cortana search, speaker icon, Network icon, Date/time. When I click on the badge(?) nothing happens. The apps like File Explorer, Chrome open with no problem. If i Right click Start button and click Search then nothing...
  10. taskbar and menu items not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    taskbar and menu items not working: After an apparently smooth upgrade to Win 10 I realised the buttons on the taskbar don't lauch the programs anymore. Nor do the items on the start menu. The only few that work are the ones added by Win 10 such as Microsoft Edge, and inexplicably Skype and Viber. I have...