Windows 10: Taskbar Live Preview Stopped Working

Discus and support Taskbar Live Preview Stopped Working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am at wits end, and am loathing the option to reset windows, but I don't know what else to do. The windows taskbar works perfectly, except for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Quickdraw996, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Taskbar Live Preview Stopped Working

I am at wits end, and am loathing the option to reset windows, but I don't know what else to do.

The windows taskbar works perfectly, except for the missing window previews when I hover over the icon of an open program. All other aero features work perfectly. When I hover over an open program, I get nothing or just a small box with text. E.g. If I hover over the Steam client, I get a tiny white box that says "steam". That's it, and even that doesn't always show up depending on the program that I am hovering over.

Throuble shooting tactics that I have tried.
    -Reboots
    -Registry Edits
    -This command in an Admin Powershell - Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    -Made sure that it was enabled in Performance options
    -Double checked Taskbar and Start Menu Properties
    -Probably more that I cant remember because I am about to punch my monitor.
    -Ran sfc /scannow in an Admin Command Prompt

I LOVE Windows 10, but it apparently HATES me very much. If anyone has any idea on what other options are available, please let me know. I have so much set up and would hate to reset windows as a hail mary that may not help anyways.

P.S. Why is this editor overtyping?

EDIT-1: Added one more troubleshooting step I forgot to mention.

:)

Quickdraw996, Apr 4, 2016
  2. CMOYA Win User

Taskbar Live Preview Stopped Working Properly

This happens to me too and only happens when I have a 2nd monitor plugged in. It doesn't happen when I'm just using the laptop screen. It doesn't happen right away but only a little while after reboot. The taskbar preview just stops working. A related symptom
    is that when this happens, the tooltip is slower to appear and takes longer to disappear. It is a brain-melting, infuriating bug (one of many in Windows 10) and I am shocked that the Anniversary Update did not fix it.

I am not about to do a System Restore because I am 100% certain that the problem will come back eventually after I install Visual Studio or some new version of some program. Quite simply, this bug shouldn't exist regardless.

CMOYA, Apr 4, 2016
  3. Taskbar Live Preview Stopped Working Properly

When it comes to step 'g', should I copy the files highlighted files in the screenshot below or not?
    Taskbar Live Preview Stopped Working [​IMG]

Quickdraw996, Apr 4, 2016
  4. Taskbar Live Preview Stopped Working

I found a new bit of interesting information. It is explained in this video below that I uploaded to my Youtube channel.
    It is less than 30 seconds if you guys wish to see it for a better understanding, but a basic summary is that the previews do not work when hovered over, but if I click the program icon and it has more than 1 window open, it will display the preview. It will not display the preview if both conditions are not met.

[youtube]0z5vKncZLBE[/youtube]

Quickdraw996, Apr 6, 2016
Thema:

Taskbar Live Preview Stopped Working

1. Taskbar Live Preview Stopped Working - Similar Threads - Taskbar Live Preview

2. taskbar "live" thumbnail preview not playing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    taskbar "live" thumbnail preview not playing: I recently restored my desktop. After the restore, my taskbar thumbnail preview stopped showing a """live"""" picturevideo of what an application was doing, instead, it shows a still photo. I did notice that if the application wasn't minimized and I hovered over the thumbnail...
  3. taskbar "live" thumbnail preview not playing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    taskbar "live" thumbnail preview not playing: I recently restored my desktop. After the restore, my taskbar thumbnail preview stopped showing a """live"""" picturevideo of what an application was doing, instead, it shows a still photo. I did notice that if the application wasn't minimized and I hovered over the thumbnail...
  4. taskbar "live" thumbnail preview not playing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Taskbar preview not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar preview not working: Up til now i've found the taskbar preview/peek a very useful tool for if I temporarily leave an app however recently it stopped displaying what was in each window and just the name of the window instead. I did enable taskbar peek which would only temporarily fix the issue...
  6. Taskbar preview not working

Taskbar preview not working: Up til now i've found the taskbar preview/peek a very useful tool for if I temporarily leave an app however recently it stopped displaying what was in each window and just the name of the window instead. I did enable taskbar peek which would only temporarily fix the issue...
  7. Taskbar preview not working

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Taskbar live preview not working if window is minimized

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar live preview not working if window is minimized: This was happening for me for a while and im not able to make it work again Sometimes it happens like in the video or sometimes it appears a black box where the video should be playing. Im running the last windows version and my NVIDIA drivers up to date...
  9. taskbar "live" thumbnail preview not playing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    taskbar "live" thumbnail preview not playing: I recently restored my desktop. After the restore, my taskbar thumbnail preview stopped showing a """live"""" picture(video) of what an application was doing, instead, it shows a still photo. I did notice that if the application wasn't minimized and I hovered over the...
  10. Live Tiles Stopped Working

Live Tiles Stopped Working: Live tiles have stopped working both on my desktop and Surface Pro 4. This seems to have happened sometime on 11/2. Is anyone else seeing this? I was able to get the desktop live tiles going again by signing out of the account (a local account) and signing into a...