Windows 10: Taskbar needed at top but windows get stuck behind it.

Discus and support Taskbar needed at top but windows get stuck behind it. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I need to have my taskbar at the top of my screen but is it possible to make it so I can not drag a window behind it? Several times I have had to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by castingflame, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Taskbar needed at top but windows get stuck behind it.

I need to have my taskbar at the top of my screen but is it possible to make it so I can not drag a window behind it? Several times I have had to autohide the task bar just to get at the window to drag it back again.

Kind Regards, Paul

:)

castingflame, Feb 12, 2016

2. taskbar

The top of the taskbar has never been a hard edge. Even on Windows 7, things could go behind it. The taskbar does stay on top of the stack, but it's never blocked you from putting something behind it.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Feb 12, 2016
  3. RTWI Win User
    taskbar

I'm trying to get my taskbar to stay 'always on top' but can't find a setting for it. if I use show windows stacked, I can pull my browser window down below the taskbar so it's hidden behind the taskbar. I miss Win7 when the top of the taskbar was a hard
    edge and your other windows didn't phase past it or through it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

4. flhthemi Win User

Taskbar needed at top but windows get stuck behind it.

My problem might be the same but displays differently.
    I run Kodi in full screen 24/7
    After some hours and a change to HDMI port 2 from port 1 (tv on port 1) if I minimize Kodi I find I have no taskbar at all and I have to restart windows explorer to get it back. I run my taskbar at the top too in autohide. Maybe I'll try the bottom and see what happens. I'm considering a fresh install.

flhthemi, Feb 17, 2016
  5. Hi I do mine like that all the time I prefer to have my taskbar autohide that way I get a full screen
    Then if I want another app just hover over taskbar and click the app I want.
    The only other way is put your taskbar at the side or bottom

hTconeM9user, Feb 17, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    You should not be able to drag the window behind the task bar so something is not quite right. Are your graphics settings correct, size and resolution matching the native screen size and resolution etc? What happens when you maximise the window, does this disappear behind the taskbar as well?

I guess the only workaround is the autohide function as you have found.

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
  8. Taskbar needed at top but windows get stuck behind it.

I would say its a work around more than a solution. *Smile

Yes I have an ultra wide monitor and it is set to its native resolution.

When I maximize a window everything behaves correctly and it sits below the taskbar. If I pick up a window and drag it, I am able to drop it behind the task bar. Ok, so ill stop trying to be an idiot and do that, but sometimes a program launches and sits behind the taskbar at the top.

castingflame, Feb 17, 2016
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Curious, why do you NEED the taskbar at the top?

Ztruker, Feb 18, 2016
  10. flhthemi Win User
    Because that's where we like it! *Wink I think in my case, it's because of some early (MSDOS) programs that had everything at the top. I'm so old I can't remember the name of the dang thing.
    EDIT: It was Lotus 1-2-3!

So...every windows version I have used I put it at the top because that's where I got used to having a menu. Everyone that uses my PCs always asks me why....my wife thinks it's stupid. *Wink

flhthemi, Feb 18, 2016
  11. I have mine at the top
    On Autohide
    Not Stupid at all

hTconeM9user, Feb 18, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    Each to his own.
    During the Vista and Windows 7 days, I had users wanting to have it on the side.

davidhk, Feb 18, 2016
  13. flhthemi Win User

*Smile Now that is dumb.

flhthemi, Feb 20, 2016
  14. caperjack Win User
    Weird isn't it,i always use mine on the bottom, never auto hide,,, when I use my raspberry Pi I like it on the top,,weird

caperjack, Feb 20, 2016
  15. flhthemi Win User
    You know this is really ticking me off....this taskbar problem I have...

Here it is again:
    This is Win 10 on a Zotac Zbox BI320. I have two of them both acting as HTPCs and running Kodi V15.2
    They run 24/7 with Kodi in full screen mode. One of them keeps hiding the taskbar and I can't get access to it unless I restart explorer or or restart the box. I've tried leaving Kodi in a window on the desktop but within 24 hrs it will minimize to the taskbar. If I leave it full screen within 24 hours the taskbar is gone. I've tried moving the taskbar to left, right, top and bottom and resetting the screen resolution and no joy. Next on the list is Intel video drivers and if no joy there a fresh install of Win 10. The other BI320, has NO issues and both were upgrades from Win 8.1 to Win 10. All the same drivers were installed as well. Could it be something to do with the TV and HDMI??

flhthemi, Feb 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Taskbar needed at top but windows get stuck behind it. - Similar Threads - Taskbar needed top

2. Windows 11 taskbar stuck at the top

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 taskbar stuck at the top: Hi AllAbout every other time I log on, the taskbar has moved itself to the top of the screen and won't move back down where I want it. The only way to rectify is to sign out and sign in when it then usually appears back at the bottom.I have tried:Run System File Checker1...
  3. Windows 11 taskbar stuck at the top

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 taskbar stuck at the top: Hi AllAbout every other time I log on, the taskbar has moved itself to the top of the screen and won't move back down where I want it. The only way to rectify is to sign out and sign in when it then usually appears back at the bottom.I have tried:Run System File Checker1...
  4. Windows 11 taskbar stuck at the top

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 taskbar stuck at the top: Hi AllAbout every other time I log on, the taskbar has moved itself to the top of the screen and won't move back down where I want it. The only way to rectify is to sign out and sign in when it then usually appears back at the bottom.Any ideas?D...
  5. Windows 11 taskbar stuck at the top

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 taskbar stuck at the top: Hi AllAbout every other time I log on, the taskbar has moved itself to the top of the screen and won't move back down where I want it. The only way to rectify is to sign out and sign in when it then usually appears back at the bottom.Any ideas?D...
  6. Taskbar hidden behind windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar hidden behind windows: There's an issue with the taskbar's auto-hide feature. At random intervals, the start menu becomes un-openable. Meaning no matter what you do, you cannot access the task bar & start menu using you mouth, because some window covers it.The only way to access the task bar/start...
  7. Taskbar is behind minimized windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar is behind minimized windows: [ATTACH] This is really annoying. The problem is when windows aren't fullscreen. If I drag them down, they are on top of the taskbar. I took a screenshot of the problem to illustrate. The second problem is related- when I have the taskbar set to auto-hide (which I would...
  8. Windows are always getting stuck on top

Windows are always getting stuck on top: Hello, I've got a rather strange problem. I've had this problem for months, since my last clean install, and I've just done a clean install of Win10 to find the issue still there. Ultimately, some windows are just getting stuck on top (of others). For example, if I open...
  9. Apps getting stuck on top

Apps getting stuck on top: I've got a couple apps that seem to be stuck in an "Always on Top" state. That is, I have to minimize these apps before I can view anything that is behind it. I'm not even sure how it got to this state or what caused it. How does it get into that state in the first place, and...
  10. Cursor Gets Stuck Behind Window

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cursor Gets Stuck Behind Window: At least once a day on my Dell 7391 2in1, my cursor will get stuck behind the window and I have to sign out and back in to fix it. Any idea how to fix this for good?...