Windows 10: Taskbar not working after update

Discus and support Taskbar not working after update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have an HP Pavillion laptop that came with windows 8.1, but I have upgraded to windows 10. I upgraded on launch day and everything was fine. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MattHellstrands, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Taskbar not working after update

Hi, I have an HP Pavillion laptop that came with windows 8.1, but I have upgraded to windows 10. I upgraded on launch day and everything was fine. I went out and left my computer on, when I came back, my computer was updating in a cool sci-fi looking gui, big percentage sign, categories with their own percentages, etc. Now my taskbar doesn't work.

When I look at my taskbar as I write this, I see (From left to right)
    My Windows Logo, Cortana's "Ask my anything" and microphone. Task View, giant gap, my steam task menu icon, and my touch keyboard. Nothing but the steam and touch keyboard icons are interactive, and I have several things pinned on my taskbar, like my clock and google chrome. That aren't visible.

Please help, I am not able to run some programs because I don't know the directory to run them from their folder.

Thanks, Taskbar not working after update :)

:)

MattHellstrands, Dec 15, 2015
  2. DorothyE Win User

Non-functioning taskbar apps

There was an update pushed through by MS. After a restart, the taskbar apps are working again! I don't know what else was updated, but at least the taskbar apps are working.

DorothyE, Dec 15, 2015
  3. Nick Dich Win User
    Taskbar not working after Windows Update Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.192)

Hi Juan,

There might be corrupted system files or incorrect system processes running on your computer after the update. Kindly check the link provided here and see if it helps:

Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Nick Dich, Dec 15, 2015
  4. brummyfan Win User

Taskbar not working after update

brummyfan, Dec 15, 2015
  5. How do i run a command prompt in admin mode, if I can't access my start menu. I've tried Win+R but it doesn't run admin'd mode. So it denied me access.
    Found a better way than the one reccomended to me.
    Ctrl+Shift+Esc > Command Prompt > File > Run New Task > type cmd > Check the elevated privileges box.

6. Did it. Got this as a result

Verification 64% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

7. davidhk Win User
    MattHellstrands,

How to access elevated command prompt.................
    Restart your computer > when you come to the sign in screen, do NOT sign in .
    Bottom right is a Power icon. Left click at it will give you Restart.
    Press SHIFT key and Hold > click Restart > click Troubleshoot > click Advanced options > select Command Prompt.
    That is your Administrator command prompt.

davidhk, Dec 15, 2015
  8. EricTheO Win User

Open Task Manager go to the Processes tab scroll down to Windows Explore and right click on that process and left click on restart. Then see if the taskbar is now fully functional.

EricTheO, Dec 15, 2015
  9. Thanks for the help, but it doesn't work, I've already done that a few times in attempt to get this to work. Still doesn't.

10. davidhk Win User
    MattHellstrands,

If you still want to run sfc /scannow successfully, please follow the steps listed below.
    I've just finished doing it...........................Result : Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    Restart your computer > do NOT sign in >bottom right, click the Power icon to show the Restart option > press Shift key and Hold > click Restart >Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > right side, click the Restart button > you are now choosing Safe Mode options > press 6 at the keyboard > sign in > you have now an Administrator: cmd.exe to run your sfc /scannow.

davidhk, Dec 15, 2015
  11. brummyfan Win User
    Then try running DISM command from this tutorial, after completing run sfc command again.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...-10-image.html

brummyfan, Dec 15, 2015
  12. Sorry I went away for a while, I tried the sfc command, and it worked temporarily, even though it said after finishing it couldn't perform the requested operation. But it keeps not working, I tried the DISM command and then the sfc again, and it made no difference. Works for a bit, then stops.

MattHellstrands, Dec 22, 2015
  13. Taskbar not working after update

Bumping this post because it's still not fixed. It's Only gotten slightly better, the taskbar is still unusable, but all the icons show up as usual.

MattHellstrands, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Taskbar not working after update - Similar Threads - Taskbar working update

2. Issue with taskbar after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with taskbar after update: I don't know why all the icon present at taskabar vanished after windows update , i tried restarting it but nothing helped ,pls suggest some ways to fix this...
  3. Taskbar tray icons not working after update 22h2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar tray icons not working after update 22h2: Taskbar tray icons not working after update 22h2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-tray-icons-not-working-after-update-22h2/8b483018-3b57-4bb0-861a-8554f1e36c39
  4. Taskbar tray icons not working after update 22h2

Taskbar tray icons not working after update 22h2: Taskbar tray icons not working after update 22h2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-tray-icons-not-working-after-update-22h2/8b483018-3b57-4bb0-861a-8554f1e36c39
  5. Taskbar Does Not Work after latest update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Does Not Work after latest update: Yesterday, Windows Update wanted to update my computer and I allowed it to update and restart but it killed my taskbar. The taskbar was there but there were no start, search, or other icons displayed. I could basically not access anything except from desktop icons. I used...
  6. Taskbar Does Not Work after latest update

Taskbar Does Not Work after latest update: Yesterday, Windows Update wanted to update my computer and I allowed it to update and restart but it killed my taskbar. The taskbar was there but there were no start, search, or other icons displayed. I could basically not access anything except from desktop icons. I used...
  7. Translucent taskbar after update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Translucent taskbar after update.: There has been a few times where after a Windows update, the taskbar would become translucent. Unlike Windows' own "transperacy effects," which is just a glorified matte finish to the accent color, the backgroud picture is actually visible, albeit translucent. I thought it...
  8. System taskbar icons doesn't work after 1903 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System taskbar icons doesn't work after 1903 update: The clock, network, volume and notification center icons doesn't work when I left click them. The clock doesn't work at all when either left or right click them. Not even in Safe Mode they work. It has been like this for several weeks. Anyone have any idea what's wrong?...
  9. Combine Taskbar Buttons is not working after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Combine Taskbar Buttons is not working after update: I have a Lenovo T470 laptop with Windows 10. Last night Windows update ran updates and now my Taskbar buttons do not combine anymore. I have reviewed the Taskbar configuration, moved the Combine Taskbar Buttons pulldown to other options and then back to "Always, hide labels"...
  10. Build 9879 after updates - Taskbar doesn't work

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Build 9879 after updates - Taskbar doesn't work: Hi there After applying the latest set of updates to my Windows build 9879 running on VMWARE workstation 10 the Taskbar no longer functions - the taskbar appears but clicking any item results in NOTHING. Desktop Icons work so programs can run -- you just can't launch...