Windows 10: Taskbar right-click menu and system tray icons delay

Discus and support Taskbar right-click menu and system tray icons delay in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, recently my system has developed a weird issue. Right-clicking on the taskbar on any open applications that I have stops working quite often... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zil, Aug 22, 2017.

1. ZIL
    zil Win User

Taskbar right-click menu and system tray icons delay

Hello,

recently my system has developed a weird issue. Right-clicking on the taskbar on any open applications that I have stops working quite often (the black task menu to minimize/close etc doesn't appear), meaning: after logging in it's all good, then after a while it won't appear, or if it does, it's with enormous lag. So basically it goes back and forth, having periods when all is at it should, but then not working when I want it to, there's no consistency. Right-clicking anywhere else: on desktop, unused area of the taskbar is without delay. I've tried sfc /scannow which found some errors to repair, then I used DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image commands (3 different to check, scan and repair). Went through all of that, it finished, then tried sfc /scannow again, it finished its repairs, but the issue prevails.

The same lag/delay applies when I try to left-click on system tray icons that I have: power, connections and volume. They either appear with very long delay or don't work at all, then if they work, they do so for a short while and then stop functioning again.

What can I do to solve these?
    Win 10 Pro x64 version 1703 OS build 15063.540

Thanks,

:)

2. Odd behaviour from Windows Taskbar

For some reason, Windows 10 taskbar is behaving in an odd fashion. I am unable to right click on the icons on the taskbar. I am able to launch the application, sure, such as file explorer etc., with the left click, but right clicking on any icon has no
    effect.

On the other hand, I am not able to left click on any of the icons in the system tray, but I am able to use the right click to bring up the menu. The same goes for the Start button (Windows button).

So in essence, right click on the icons in the taskbar does not work, and the left click on icons in the system tray, does not work. The opposite action on both, works...

I have restarted the system, and restarted the Windows explorer process as well, to no avail.

Kindly advise.

tigrisofgod, Aug 22, 2017
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Task Bar - how can I shorten task bar by putting icons in a folder?

You can put many of the icons on the right [the "System tray"] into a sub-folder-ish item that appears as a little up arrow next to the System tray.

Right-click on the Taskbar, Properties, Notification area - Customise

and use

Select which icons appear on the taskbar

and

Turn system icons on and off.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

You can also put your own icons into a menu system instead of always being on the taskbar whether they are in use or not.

Right-click on the Taskbar, Toolbars, New toolbar ...

Create a folder somewhere convenient and put all the icons you want in there. You can make subfolders as well and the result is very XP-like. Then point the Taskbar, Toolbars, New toolbar ... at your new folder.

An example,

Taskbar right-click menu and system tray icons delay [​IMG]

This method works in Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Tryx3, Aug 22, 2017
  4. linhlz Win User

You should be able to fix this issue by changing the settings for the power plan. a. Click on start button, type power option and press enter.b. Select High performance power plan. (If you don't see High performance option then, search for it underHide additional plans.)c. Now check for the issue.

linhlz, Aug 22, 2017
  5. ZIL
    zil Win User
    I always have high performance mode on.

6. ZIL
    zil Win User
    Okay, it seems I've found something, finally. I bumped into it quite randomly after seeing a recent Windows Update package KB4034674 in the Programs and Features uninstall list. I looked into it on Google with the package nr and "right click" as keywords and found this solution:

Windows 10 Taskbar Icon Right-Click broken after Windows Update KB4034674 - Super User

Basically, you just have to go and uninstall KB4034674 package, nothing else. After doing that, the problem seems to have disappeared. On the downside, though, the lock screen, which I had previously disabled, is back. I would like to get rid of it, as it was before, but that is a different topic.

Thema:

1. Taskbar right-click menu and system tray icons delay - Similar Threads - Taskbar right click

2. Windows 11 System Tray Security Icon. No Context Menu when right click.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 System Tray Security Icon. No Context Menu when right click.: Hello. I have Windows 11 Ver.22H2. Not sure if this problem happened after an update or not but the Windows security Icon in the system tray will no longer show the context menu when I right click on it. All other icons in the system try work fine no problem getting the...
  3. Windows 11 System Tray Security Icon. No Context Menu when right click.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 System Tray Security Icon. No Context Menu when right click.: Hello. I have Windows 11 Ver.22H2. Not sure if this problem happened after an update or not but the Windows security Icon in the system tray will no longer show the context menu when I right click on it. All other icons in the system try work fine no problem getting the...
  4. Right click menu doesn't show up in taskbar icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click menu doesn't show up in taskbar icon: Hey. So basically, I can't view the right click menu that pops up whenever you right click on a taskbar icon I can on the desktop and file explorer though. I don't know if this is related but I recently updated my Windows too....
  5. Keyboard shortcut to "right click" taskbar/system tray items

Keyboard shortcut to "right click" taskbar/system tray items: Community: I'm aware of the keyboard shortcuts to access the TaskbarWin-T and System TrayWin-B. I can then navigate the items on those bars using arrow keys. From there, is there an option to "right click" the selected item? For instance, using Win-T I navigate to...
  6. Right Click menu for taskbar broken

Right Click menu for taskbar broken: Hello dear All, After updating windows to 1909 from 1803 my right menu is brocken When I try to click the actions in the right click menu I always have this message for every program: [ATTACH] The same behavior in the start menu Many thanks, Iacob...
  7. Right-click menu doesn't come up for taskbar icons ... ???

in Windows 10 Support
    Right-click menu doesn't come up for taskbar icons ... ???: Seems like in Windows 10 with the latest cumulative updates (as of 9/14/19 yesterday), I can't right-click on my taskbar icons and have the right-click menu come up (the one that allows for the pinning or unpinning of icons). I uninstalled the updates, and this functionality...
  8. Delay in Right Click

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Delay in Right Click: Hi all, I am facing a problem in Right Click in mouse. Whenever I make a right click on blank space in Desktop or in File browser in order to "Refresh" or to create "New Folder" or any other purpose, it takes quite a bit of time (3 seconds) for the menu to pop-up. I don't...
  9. Right Click Taskbar Menu

Right Click Taskbar Menu: Not sure if possible but can you add to this menu? 27413
  10. Taskbar: Can't right click app icons & can't left click system icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar: Can't right click app icons & can't left click system icons: Hi, After doing a lot of tweaking, I've came across a very weird problem at taskbar. When I right click pinned apps on taskbar nothing happens. But left click works. When I left click system icons like volume and network, nothing happens. But right click works....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 taskbar system icons dont respond to click

2. PAUSE WHEN RIGHT CLICKING ON TASKBAR ICONS