Windows 10: Taskbar Search: Launch Windows Explorer Search

Discus and support Taskbar Search: Launch Windows Explorer Search in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; What I'd like to find is a way to have a searchbox on the Taskbar that launches Windows Search, not the new Windows search. I'm pretty sure it's just a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Slartybart, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Taskbar Search: Launch Windows Explorer Search

What I'd like to find is a way to have a searchbox on the Taskbar that launches Windows Search, not the new Windows search. I'm pretty sure it's just a different GUID or namespace. This will do for now though.

From the SevenForums (SF) Tutorial section
    Search Shortcut - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums

Download ZipSearch.zip

The compressed folder, ZipSearch.zip, contains three shortcuts
    • Search.lnk
    • Search [GUID].lnk
    • SF Search Shortcut - Create tutorial.url

Open the compressed folder and extract one or the other Search shortcuts to your desktop. If you want the SF tutorial for reference - extract that too.
    Both search shortcuts do the same thing; open an Explorer Search window. The difference is the target of the shortcut (how the Explorer search window is opened)

Search.lnk target:
    %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe search-ms:
    Search [GUID].lnk target:
    %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{9343812e-1c37-4a49-a12e-4b2d810d956b}
    Right click the Search shortcut you extracted, select Properties, select the General tab, then press the [Unblock] button at the bottom right if it is present.

Right click the Search shortcut you extracted, select Pin to taskbar
    -> You could also Pin to Start The tile has not shown up on the Start Screen, so maybe you can only pin it to the Start menu

As Shawn is wont to say: That's it

:)

Slartybart, Nov 9, 2014
  2. BDesco Win User

Index search in File Explorer

Hello,

thank you for your help, but there is a provision other than Cortana for searching the entire index.

Just type search-ms: in the address bar (not the search box!) of file explorer. You get what I wanted!

I made a shortcut link to "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe search-ms:"

I chose some nice looking icon from %systemroot%\system32\imageres.dll.

Right clicked the shortcut: "Pin to taskbar"

Voila

Source:

Taskbar Search: Launch Windows Explorer Search Solved - Windows 10 Forums

BDesco, Nov 9, 2014
  3. Missing Internet Explorer in Windows 10

Hi,

In the search bar (lower left) located in task bar, type Internet Explorer. Right click on the App > Select Pin to Taskbar.

You'll see the well known e symbol appear in your taskbar and can launch Internet Explorer by clicking on it.

Smittychat., Nov 9, 2014
  4. Taskbar Search: Launch Windows Explorer Search

I'm feeling a little silly here, the easy way to control the scope of a search is to launch Explorer, navigate to the location you want to search and get a full list using the kind: tag in the search box.

Sort by the view and columns you prefer (I like Details sorted by Date Modified)

You can then save the search (pick a meaningful name, SearchProfile or SerachThisPC for example) which creates a shortcut in your links folder.

There's a trick to get this pinned though. I'll revisit SevenForums because I know Brink has a tut on this - I helped another member do some gymnastics with the taskbar once - that member came up with a third way of pinning to the taskbar (special jumplist req I think)

Three searches should suffice for most members (ThisPC, Profile, and Programs/Apps - the last one will take some work to get the search criteria correct). You can create as many of these as you want (kind:=Document; kind:=Music; kind:=Picture; kind:=Video; kind:=E-mail; see more kind:= filters in the search box)

Bill

Slartybart, Nov 9, 2014
Thema:

Taskbar Search: Launch Windows Explorer Search

1. Taskbar Search: Launch Windows Explorer Search - Similar Threads - Taskbar Search Launch

2. Taskbar Search

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar Search: Hi, my taskbar search app will come black sometimes please help me to solve it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-search/7a0eba8b-3df3-4c5a-9339-dfa36c8fefb8
  3. Explorer search box - temp hide/disable (not taskbar search).

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer search box - temp hide/disable (not taskbar search).: Reading elsewhere it seems that the idea of wanting to hide/disable the Explorer search box is stupid .... I have multiple duplicates from years of being paranoid (copies of backups and vice versa). Now housekeeping "extreme". On my 1920x1080 screen even with navigation pane...
  4. Searching no the taskbar

in Cortana
    Searching no the taskbar: When searching on the taskbar can you change your results to come up in google chrome instead of edge https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-no-the-taskbar/2a902ef6-e471-4a4f-9917-e51baaea2e5c
  5. windows search not working in taskbar and file explorer

in Cortana
    windows search not working in taskbar and file explorer: [ATTACH] it just keeps crashing i tried restarting and using the troubleshooter i cant even use file explorer search how to fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-not-working-in-taskbar-and-file/25d5c8be-22dd-41d5-b44f-02ab3dfe9cf4
  6. Search taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search taskbar: my search task bar quit working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-taskbar/b8d39b56-a926-4aa8-878e-de907b541f90
  7. Explorer and taskbar search not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer and taskbar search not working: Build 1904.338 When I click into the search bar the cursor doesnt appear, a black box briefly appears above and I cannot type. The same happens in the File Explorer search box. After many frustrating googles and many blind allys I am stuck trying to find out if the search...
  8. TASKBAR // SEARCH

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    TASKBAR // SEARCH: Is there a way to hide “top apps” in the search taskbar. submitted by /u/4__skins [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hgdl7s/taskbar_search/
  9. Taskbar - search window

in Cortana
    Taskbar - search window: How can I keep the search window from popping up and getting in my way when I don't want it.? It pops up unexpectedly and I have trouble closing it. Why does it pop up?...
  10. windows search in taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows search in taskbar: I was forced to update my windows 10. Then after the update, this huge white searchbar appears in the taskbar, and when I click on it, useless "top apps" and "Recent activities" pops up. 1. How do i remove the searchbar and just keep the icon as it was 2. How can i get it...