Windows 10: Taskbar search results fail to open - settings Gear

Discus and support Taskbar search results fail to open - settings Gear in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Ive hunted online and have seen various options to try and resolve this issue but Ive tried them all to no avail; rebuilding index,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by brutaledilusso, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Taskbar search results fail to open - settings Gear

Hi,

Ive hunted online and have seen various options to try and resolve this issue but Ive tried them all to no avail; rebuilding index, re-registering cortana and disabling my anti virus.

When selecting any search results with the settings gear like the image below nothing happens. Other entries with icons such as the edit power plan work as expected and open fine.

Any ideas why this is the case other than windows 10 being buggy and is there a fix Ive missed?!

Thanks for any assistance.

Taskbar search results fail to open - settings Gear [​IMG]

:)

brutaledilusso, Sep 23, 2016
  2. Roggsf Win User

No Search - No Cotana Ability

Hi,

Thanks - Your solution link kinda /almost works.

If I type willy-nilly in the start screen it does bring up a search ability. However, it does not allow me to change Settings
    to on for Cortana. There is no gear icon for Settings
    as indicated in the solution. I did fumble around and opened some type of settings dialog box but it too does not work by holding the set Cortana to on......

No such Settings icon is listed.

"If you hide the Search button on the Taskbar,
    simply open the Start menu and type anything to bring up the Search Windows dialog. Then, go to Settings menu (Gear icon), and slide the toggle for Cortana can give
    you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more
    to On."

I still click on the search/cortana icon in the task bar and nothing happens. I think it tries to come up but quickly then fails to display.

Thanks for the reply - Got ideas? Roger

Roggsf, Sep 23, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    icons bottom right of screen5

Hi Temb0, on your Start Menu, click the gear icon to open the Settings App

Go to Personalisation - Taskbar

In the Notification Area section, click 'Turn System icons on or off'

Check there for the icons you need and turn them on

Failing that, go back and click 'Select which icons appear on the Taskbar'

DaveM121, Sep 23, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Taskbar search results fail to open - settings Gear

Can you open Settings from the other cogwheel, the one on your Start menu?

'Settings' is a 'Modern Windows App', all your other results are not. There are some problems that only affect Modern Apps. Try another one, such as Calculator. Can you open that from Search? If not, can you open it from All Apps?

5. Thanks Bree for your reply.

Yes, I can open Settings on the Start Menu.

I can also open Calculator from both the Search and All Apps.

Interesting that this is isolated to the 'Modern Windows App' as you say!

brutaledilusso, Sep 24, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    Glad to hear it's not affecting all modern apps, there's a known issue that does for a very few users - they flash up briefly then close immediately however you try to open them.

I suppose you've tried the obvious 'fix for all problems'? Restart the PC? If you have fast start turned on (it's on by default) then just shutting down isn't sufficient to clear all settings, parts of the system state are saved to disk and read back when you turn the PC back on. It's similar to Hibernate in that respect.

7. Thanks Bree, yeah I gave the restart a shot but to no avail. Its not a deal breaker but frustrating nonetheless! As you say at least its not across the board!

brutaledilusso, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Taskbar search results fail to open - settings Gear

1. Taskbar search results fail to open - settings Gear - Similar Threads - Taskbar search results

2. Gear Icon On Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gear Icon On Taskbar: What is this icon and how can I get rid of it? It doesn't appear in Settings. I can't figure what program it belongs to. I thought it was related to Google Chrome but I can't delete it with any Chrome setting....
  3. Gear Icon On Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gear Icon On Taskbar: What is this icon and how can I get rid of it? It doesn't appear in Settings. I can't figure what program it belongs to. I thought it was related to Google Chrome but I can't delete it with any Chrome setting....
  4. Search result in Settings problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search result in Settings problem.: So, the search result in Settings is not showed in my main profile, But the other profile, The search result in Settings is showed as you can see in the image. Can anyone help me?...
  5. Search result in Settings problem.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search result in Settings problem.: So, the search result in Settings is not showed in my main profile, But the other profile, The search result in Settings is showed as you can see in the image. Can anyone help me?...
  6. Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Results: When I search my Documents directory, I often get results from .css, .js etc when really all I want are folders, .html, .pdf How to I stop the .css, .js files appearing in the search results? I know I can apply filters afterwards but having to do so when all I want to do...
  7. Windows 10 Settings Search No Results

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Settings Search No Results: When i try to search something in Windows 10's Settings at that search box nothing shows up, no results. Any solutions? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-settings-search-no-results/e1cdce7a-1131-48e8-ab53-d7bc2f2e0d32
  8. Documents in Taskbar Search results open in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents in Taskbar Search results open in Explorer: Hello again I'm having a weird problem. Suddenly, whenever I search for a document of any kind (xls, docx, pdf, doesn't matter), using the Taskbar Search, the document will open in File Explorer when i click it, rather than the program that's supposed to open it. For...
  9. Keeping search results open

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Keeping search results open: Hi, I hope I'm missing something here. Is there a way to keep the search results box open? If click away from the box it closes itself which not what I want to happen. Dave 32360
  10. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...