Windows 10: Taskbar shortcut icons disappeared

Discus and support Taskbar shortcut icons disappeared in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After checking and configuring my router I went to the regular desktop view which is plain and looks like Win7 Only the quick access, internet icon,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Rose W, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Rose W Win User

Taskbar shortcut icons disappeared

After checking and configuring my router I went to the regular desktop view which is plain and looks like Win7
    Only the quick access, internet icon, notices, lanquage and clock icons were visible.
    I had created a new toolbar which referenced the start menu in Windows Program Data.
    It was spread across the taskbar rather than compacted and previously available by clicking on the title Programs tucked in beside Quick Access.
    There was no visible line to use with the cursor for dragging this bunch of links across into the right side area.
    I removed that toolbar.
    The few daily use Taskbar shortcut icons when created cannot be dragged to the taskbar even if I lock it.
    (Browser, email, Notepad++,Everywhere search and a link to a Quick Stack popup collection of shortcuts)
    Any open application is not displaying on the taskbar
    Considered a 'Restore' and checked the list of restore points with a utility System Restore Explorer and it lists Oct.20 as the last restore point. I'm assuming Win10 does not do a daily restore point.
    The last system image is Oct.7 so several Windows updates would have to be done over and there are a couple of those.
    Is there a registry edit or workaround to restore the taskbar so shortcuts can be pinned there?

:)

Rose W, Nov 2, 2015
  2. Ed1-US Win User

Icon missing from Shortcut in Taskbar

I want to have a shortcut button on the Taskbar to open the Control Panel. I added a Control Panel shortcut to the Desktop and dragged it to the Taskbar. That created a Control Panel button/shortcut on the Taskbar, but the button/shortcut has no icon -
    it is just blank.

I have set the Taskbar setting for "Combine Taskbar buttons" to "Always, hide labels". If I change this setting to show the labels, the label for this Taskbar shortcut includes a small Control Panel icon. But it disappears when the setting is changed back
    to hide labels.

My other buttons/shortcuts in the Taskbar and in the Notification area all have appropriate icons.

How can I get an icon for the Control Panel in the Taskbar? I did have one displaying properly until I reset Windows 10.

Ed1-US, Nov 2, 2015
  3. gmopro Win User
    Settings - Tablet Mode - Make Windows more touch friendly when using touch screen

Ok, so when i change this to YES, all my taskbar shortcuts disappear and things on the right side also disappear. Why?

After seeing that, i switched it back to off. What is going on there? Why do the shortcuts that are pinned to the taskbar disappear?

gmopro, Nov 2, 2015
  4. Rose W Win User

Well...I don't know what caused explore.exe to stop allowing the taskbar....
    I used the icon that allows all views of apps (looks like monitors side by side) to see what I had open.
    Opened Task Manager. Stopped Explorer.exe
    Created a new task...explorer.exe
    Desktop refreshed and there was the taskbar with my most used shortcut icons.
    Thankful to have it back but what a bunch of fiddling around to get to applications and keep track of open windows.

Rose W, Nov 2, 2015
  5. I went from win 8.1 to win10 a while back, stuff stopped working, taskbar stuff went missing, pretty soon I could not sign into my own computer, I had to re-install, so I put win8.1 back in... plus, Saitek has screwed up drivers, for their joysticks, still messing with Beta after being 3 month late for working drivers, they still suck at releasing drivers that are signed by MS. A huge mess!

retiredat44, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Taskbar shortcut icons disappeared - Similar Threads - Taskbar shortcut icons

2. Icons on the taskbar disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons on the taskbar disappeared: I was working on My laptop until suddenly I got a blue screen, then when it ended during the reboot it said reparing the device, I am now in the desktop and My taskbar icons are missing, what do I do?...
  3. Icons on the taskbar disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons on the taskbar disappeared: I was working on My laptop until suddenly I got a blue screen, then when it ended during the reboot it said reparing the device, I am now in the desktop and My taskbar icons are missing, what do I do?...
  4. Taskbar icons disappeared!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar icons disappeared!!: Unsure what happened but my taskbar icons have disappeared, please help :' Tried looking through other questions but can't seem to find my answer.I'm not on tablet mode, checked taskbar settings and my system icons are all on, only have 1 screen, .. run out of solutions....
  5. Taskbar icons disappeared!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar icons disappeared!!: Unsure what happened but my taskbar icons have disappeared, please help :' Tried looking through other questions but can't seem to find my answer.I'm not on tablet mode, checked taskbar settings and my system icons are all on, only have 1 screen, .. run out of solutions....
  6. Taskbar icons disappeared!!

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Taskbar Icons Disappearing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar Icons Disappearing: [IMG] Sometimes my taskbar icons disappear. They still work and if I hover the mouse over a blank spot the name of the app appears. I can click and use the apps just fine. I just don't know why they go away....
  8. Program shortcut icons disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    Program shortcut icons disappear: I have some folders on my desktop which contain shortcuts to often used programs. Some of these icons sometimes get lost (quite reliably after I reinstall Windows from scratch and newly create the folder that holds the shortcuts and the shortcuts themselves) and only a white...
  9. Some shortcut icons disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some shortcut icons disappeared: I have tried every solution I have seen posted...earlier today a number of my icons disappeared from my desktop. Seems like it's mostly the icons that shortcut to an internet website. I am running Windows 10 and I recently updated and have rebooted. I have tried to select...
  10. Taskbar Icons Disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Icons Disappeared: Back in November of 2015 I upgraded from 8.1 to 10. I run a two monitor setup. The taskbar icons used to appear on both of my monitors, but now only appear on my secondary. I've tried the option to have taskbar icons appear on all monitors. Doesn't work. I should add...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shortcuts on taskbar disappeared

2. taskbar short-cut disappears