Windows 10: Taskbar/Start Button NOT WORKING

Discus and support Taskbar/Start Button NOT WORKING in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Surface Pro 3, updated for Windows 10. I have been switching in and out of tablet mode, and I find myself at a point where now my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jmoussa31, Oct 23, 2015.

1. jmoussa31 Win User

Taskbar/Start Button NOT WORKING

Hello,

I have a Surface Pro 3, updated for Windows 10.

I have been switching in and out of tablet mode, and I find myself at a point where now my task bar are not working.

For example, when I click on the "Action Center" nothing pops up, or when I click on the WiFi icon, or Volume icon. My start button on my screen, and the physical one on the tablet itself are not working either.

I am trying to get off of tablet mode, but I can't access the Action Center do be able to get off of it.

Can anyone please help?

:)

jmoussa31, Oct 23, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

The taskbar start button

That option is not available in Windows 10, as far as I remember, this has never been an option in Windows . . .

DaveM121, Oct 23, 2015
  3. The taskbar start button

How do I change only the position of my windows start button on the taskbar? like, now the button is left, but I want it right, with the taskbar still bottom.

OzieLenirdson, Oct 23, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

WIN key + A will open action center.

JohnC, Oct 23, 2015
  5. jmoussa31 Win User
    Thank you very much for your reply.

Not even the WIN key on my keyboard is working.

Is there any other way around this?

jmoussa31, Oct 23, 2015
  6. JohnC Win User
    You can turn it off in Settings>System> Tablet mode.

JohnC, Oct 23, 2015
  7. jmoussa31 Win User
    When I try to go to my settings and click on Tablet Settings, I get this error "Tablet buttons are not installed on this computer." Everything was working fine a few days ago.

jmoussa31, Oct 23, 2015
  8. JohnC Win User

Sorry about the delay getting back to you. and BTW welcome to Ten Forums. It sounds like something got corrupted. Windows has a tool for that. It should clean up the system for you. This is from the tutorial section. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html . Give this a try, it should take care of things.

JohnC, Oct 23, 2015
  9. jmoussa31 Win User
    Thank you so much for your help.

I performed the Command run, and I was able to get to the Tablet settings, and recalibrate my pen and tablet.

The issue still persists, where I am unable to use my taskbar and start button.

When I remove my detachable keyboard, it doesn't give me the prompt is used to give me which asks if I want to switch to Tablet Mode, and when I put back the keyboard, it doesn't give me the prompt either.

I believe that my surface is stuck on tablet mode, but I can't figure out how to change that. Within the Tablet Settings in my Control Panel, it did not give me the option to close tablet mode, but just to calibrate the screen.

Thanks again for your help, hopefully you have some additional thoughts on this matter.

jmoussa31, Oct 23, 2015
  10. JohnC Win User
    I'm on a desktop so I can't be of much more help. Settings> System> Tablet Settings there should be a switch to turn off tablet mode. Try toggling it, for some reason they unstick when you do this. You need to run the SFC command maybe three times, follow the info in the tutorial here is a note from that. The system restore is probably moot as it seems to be turned off by default. When the problem is fixed turn it on. it's a fast way to go back and fix things.

Taskbar/Start Button NOT WORKING [​IMG]

JohnC, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Taskbar/Start Button NOT WORKING - Similar Threads - Taskbar Start Button

2. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Cortana
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working: Hi everyone I have just recently started to experience this issue from reading other posted it would appear to be a fairly common occurrence " Start button and search button of the taskbar not working "As suggested on the post below I have followed each instruction but I...
  3. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working: Hi everyone I have just recently started to experience this issue from reading other posted it would appear to be a fairly common occurrence " Start button and search button of the taskbar not working "As suggested on the post below I have followed each instruction but I...
  4. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working.

in Cortana
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working.: My PC start and search button of the taskbar is not functioning. Whenever I clicked on start and search button, nothing happens, there is no start menu and no search dialogue box on clicking those buttons. However, when I hover on the start and search buttons, they display...
  6. Start button and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button and taskbar not working: Hi. Windows 10 Home , 64 bit now showing "critical error, your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in". I've triedeverything from running powershell in task manager, try to reinstall windows apps, trying to reset the pc, running windows...
  7. Start button and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button and Taskbar: I have a Windows 10 laptop, start button & task bar does not work. Only the desktop icons are clickable. Not even clicking the clock in the lower right corner pops up the time & calendar....
  8. Windows start button, and taskbar not working

in Cortana
    Windows start button, and taskbar not working: I have a surface pro 5 running Windows 10, I was unable to logon due to a Group Policy service not starting. I ran a number of suggested fixes without success. I have now reinstalled Windows 10 (keeping my files option). I can now log in, but the start button does not work,...
  9. Start Button and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Button and taskbar not working: Please help. Windows 10 has worked pretty well since installing it a couple of months ago but last week suddenly the taskbar is empty and start button not working. I tried the powershell idea but as nothing shows up in the taskbar I can't run as administrator. I'm 62 years...
  10. Taskbar/Start button not working!

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar/Start button not working!: I have Window 10, just upgraded it was working great I turned my computer off and went to bed last night. Today I turn it on and now when I click the start button or windows key. The mouse just looks like it is loading, the taskbar flashes, and nothing comes up. I'm not able...