Windows 10: Taskbar wider than the screen and Start button not showing

Discus and support Taskbar wider than the screen and Start button not showing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; On my WIndows 10 system, the taskbar wider than the screen for some reason. A side effect of this is that the Start button is not showing. Any ideas... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jonnygto, Aug 6, 2018.

1. jonnygto Win User

Taskbar wider than the screen and Start button not showing

On my WIndows 10 system, the taskbar wider than the screen for some reason. A side effect of this is that the Start button is not showing.

Any ideas why this should be and/or how to fix it?

:)

jonnygto, Aug 6, 2018

2. Jump lists do not show on taskbar but do on Start button

I want jump lists on both taskbar and Start button, they are only showing on Start button. I have checked the registry key that controls this attribute and the value is "1" so both should show. The "Show recently opened items... " switch in Settings is set to ON. Something is supressing the jump lists on my Taskbar icons. I do get live thumbnails on the icons but that is all. Right clicking does nothing.

Windows 10 Pro is an upgrade install and did not clean install afterwards. In my opinion not needed. I have run SFC /scannow and got a clean report.

CORRECTION: The Start button is showing the context menu on right click, not the jump list, unless that IS the jump list.

Is the registry key value 1 to show the jump lists?

Cbarnhorst, Aug 6, 2018
  3. Jia Chie Win User
    Jump lists do not show for Taskbar buttons.

‘Jump List’ that debuted in Windows 7 was one of the mostly used feature in Windows 8 to me. When the ‘Jump List’ failed to show; I tried to create another account to see if that issue was due to corrupted user profile. While it seemed to work initially,
    ‘Jump List’ failed to show up again!

Then by accident, after right-click the icon on taskbar, I immediately click the start button, guess what? The ‘Jump List’ appeared. As I recalled, when start screen appeared on Windows 8, the taskbar did not show up because it was part of the desktop;
    as desktop was somehow designated as an ‘app’ on Windows 8. Obviously, it was wrong for technical reasons. It was no longer designated as so in Windows 10. However, in this case, a new complication arises; that is, taskbar always shows up even in Start Screen
    if it is not configured to be hidden. While ‘Jump List’ may or may not show up when I right-click on taskbar icon; it seems that when I go to ‘Start Screen’, ‘Jump List’ always shows up when I right-click on taskbar icon. It seems to be a bug; but this ‘workaround’
    should be fine to me for the time being until Microsoft fixes this issue.

Jia Chie, Aug 6, 2018
  4. DEMACLIO Win User

Taskbar is not showing icons and windows button is not working

Hello all,

Just as the title says, my taskbar is not working properly. Nothing is showing up on it, the Windows button does nothing, although I am able to right click the taskbar and Windows button.

I have tried restarting Windows Explorer through the task manager, but then I can't right click the taskbar anymore and my desktop is nothing but my personal colour.

Here is a list of posts from other websites I have tried:

5 Steps to Fix Your Windows 10 Taskbar Issues

Windows 10 Taskbar unresponsive, frozen or not working

Taskbar/Start button not working! Solved - Windows 10 Forums

FIX !!!! Windows 10 taskbar not working FIX!!!! Build 10074

home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532

Any and all help is appreciated, thank you

DEMACLIO, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Taskbar wider than the screen and Start button not showing - Similar Threads - Taskbar wider screen

2. Desktop icons are wider than normal

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop icons are wider than normal: [ATTACH] I turned on my pc this morning and realised the icons were spread apart more than normal. I realised quickly that the icons were wider. Does anyone know a solution to make them square (less wide) again? This is what I am talking about submitted by /u/ialfiree...
  3. Taskbar and start button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar and start button: When I plugged in my headphones into my computer, the start and taskbar did a weird thing and now it won't go back to normal. I don't know how to fix this and it's affecting how I do my work. The problem is that the taskbar won't show mircosoft edge, my files, and the other...
  4. Start button and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button and Taskbar: I have a Windows 10 laptop, start button & task bar does not work. Only the desktop icons are clickable. Not even clicking the clock in the lower right corner pops up the time & calendar....
  5. Start button - taskbar

Start button - taskbar: I like how Windows 8 did not have the start button. When they updated to Windows 10, the least they could have done is give us the option of having it on the taskbar, like the Cortana thing. Who clicks on the button anyways? Please recommend if I can do anything to remove...
  6. wider screen

wider screen: My laptop screen it seems wider, I tried all the setting steps but I can't get it right? Any idea how to correct it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/wider-screen/9a9db205-0fd4-4642-b051-2c0e323f571c
  7. wider screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    wider screen: My laptop screen it seems wider, I tried all the setting steps but I can't get it right? Any idea how to correct it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/wider-screen/2d286f50-48de-4e8c-99d0-a31ec394c82e
  8. taskbar and start button

taskbar and start button: I started my computer and my bottom taskbar including the start button and search box appears for a second and then disappears. I am running Windows 10. I can't get them to stay on/visible. Frankly, Windows 7 was much better. Help anyone?...
  9. Taskbar/Start Button NOT WORKING

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar/Start Button NOT WORKING: Hello, I have a Surface Pro 3, updated for Windows 10. I have been switching in and out of tablet mode, and I find myself at a point where now my task bar are not working. For example, when I click on the "Action Center" nothing pops up, or when I click on the WiFi...
  10. How to make taskbar labels wider?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make taskbar labels wider?: I always have labels showing in my taskbar so I can see exactly what I have open with the titles of each spreadsheet for example listed in my taskbar rather than hidden behind an icon. However it is frustrating how narrow the labels are because the titles are always cut...