Windows 10: Tasks running but not appearing in Task Scheduler: Need to edit

Discus and support Tasks running but not appearing in Task Scheduler: Need to edit in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi. After upgrade to windows 10, tasks still run but don't appear in task scheduler so I can't edit them. Where are they kept? More importantly, how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by pxfragonard, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Tasks running but not appearing in Task Scheduler: Need to edit

Hi. After upgrade to windows 10, tasks still run but don't appear in task scheduler so I can't edit them. Where are they kept? More importantly, how to I get them to show up where I can edit them?

When opening Task Scheduler I get at least 50 boxes I have to close before I can exit the program (or use task manager to do so.)

Anyone else have this problem?

:)

pxfragonard, Oct 17, 2015

2. How do I schedule a defender scan?

The question here is “How do I schedule a Defender scan?” The answer is that the only proper way to schedule a Defender scan is with a new user-defined scheduled task. The only preexisting task is the
    Windows Defender Scheduled Scan task, which appears at this location (which you've captured in your second screenshot):

Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender

This is emphatically not a blank scan task that was just left there so that it could be configured and scheduled by users – this is the scheduled scan task that’s run by
    Windows Automatic Maintenance. It was fine-tuned for that specific purpose, and therefore properly belongs to the
    SYSTEM. In the previous version of Windows 10 (and maybe also in the current version) we needed to modify this task in order to get the
    Automatic Maintenance scan to run consistently – but this is not the place to schedule a Windows Defender scan. In order to schedule a proper scan, you need to open
    Task Scheduler and select “Create Basic Task…
    from the Action or Actions menu, and then proceed according to the steps that I’ve outlined in the threads cited above.

Once your task has been created, it will appear when you click on the
    Task Scheduler Library
    folder – and then you can edit the schedule by double-clicking on the task, or by right-clicking on it and choosing
    Properties – which will bring up the windows that appear in my screenshots. These screenshots depict the
    Properties and Edit Trigger windows for a Defender scan task that I had just created a few minutes prior to my reply, simply for the sake of demonstrating how to edit the run time of a scheduled task.

GreginMich, Oct 17, 2015
  3. gwfME Win User
    Why is "Last Backup" date a week old when files are set to back up "Daily"?

I may have found a solution - could you please let me know if this is what you intended:

1) Click the Start button, and type Task Scheduler

2) Click on the Task Scheduler Desktop App to launch it

3) In the left pane, click the chevron next to the "Task Scheduler Library" to expand it

4) Click the chevron next to "Microsoft" to expand it

5) Click the chevron next to "Windows" to expand it

6) Left-click on "FileHistory" in the left pane to highlight it

7) Left-click on "Properties" in the right pane to edit this task's properties

8) Left-click on the "Conditions" tab at the top of the Properties dialog

9) Left-click in the box (causing a check mark to appear) next to "Wake the computer to run this task"

10) Left-click the "OK" button at the bottom right of the dialog

11) Left-click the "X" in the top right of the Task Scheduler dialog to close it

Hopefully my computer will now wake, should it need to, when the FileHistory task decides to run.

gwfME, Oct 17, 2015
  4. Tasks running but not appearing in Task Scheduler: Need to edit

TairikuOkami, Oct 17, 2015
  5. I got frustrated and went back to windows 7. I had to restore factory settings so I've got headaches still. But I may come back to windows 10 and I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I ran scannow but only once. If I come back I will use this information. It is very valuable.

pxfragonard, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Tasks running but not appearing in Task Scheduler: Need to edit

1. Tasks running but not appearing in Task Scheduler: Need to edit - Similar Threads - Tasks running appearing

2. Task scheduler is not running randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task scheduler is not running randomly: Hi, I had set up jobs in Task Scheduler in my computer but part of them are not running up as scheduled time. What's the reason to lead this issue? What if I had set up too many jobs in Task Scheulder? Is Window version too old be the reason?...
  3. Run Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Run Task Scheduler: I am trying to run a Powershell script in Windows 10 21H2 version using Task bar and the PS window pops up. Later found out that this is happening because the task is run as "Run only when user is logged on".I tried to set this to "Run whether user is logged on or not" and...
  4. Run Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Run Task Scheduler: I am trying to run a Powershell script in Windows 10 21H2 version using Task bar and the PS window pops up. Later found out that this is happening because the task is run as "Run only when user is logged on".I tried to set this to "Run whether user is logged on or not" and...
  5. Run Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Scheduled task not running

Scheduled task not running: I use the "portable apps" platform to hold a lot of small programs I dont want installed - but even from my C: ssd its very slow to load. So I have set up a scheduled task to run it as soon as the pc becomes idle. [ATTACH] However it does not run. Even when I right-click...
  7. Unable to run Task using Task Scheduler

Unable to run Task using Task Scheduler: Task scheduler using local non-admin account to run shutdown /s not working. Asks for password then gives error that account does not have privileges'. I change the user running the account to admin, run whether logged off or not, not storing password, same error after...
  8. Task scheduled in Task Scheduler won't run from shortcut

Task scheduled in Task Scheduler won't run from shortcut: I have a task set up in Task Scheduler on Win 10 Pro 64-bit and it runs correctly when run from Task Scheduler. I cannot get the task to run from a shortcut. I do not know whether this is relevant, but in the Settings window of Task Scheduler it shows the checkbox next to...
  9. Unable to schedule tasks in Task scheduler with option run the task whether the user is...

Unable to schedule tasks in Task scheduler with option run the task whether the user is...: I am able to schedule tasks with the first option that is - run when the user is logged on. But when I try with the other option - run whether the user is logged on or not, it doesn't work....
  10. Task Scheduler Not Running

Task Scheduler Not Running: I've already tried and a lot of solutions for this but sadly I still don't have a solution. I've also tried these steps in this link (https://computerstepbystep.com/task_scheduler_service.html), still no luck What happened is I'm trying to update my GeForce Experience but I...