Windows 10: technet activations & free Win 10 upgrade question

Discus and support technet activations & free Win 10 upgrade question in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I used to subscribe to Technet before Microsoft discontinued the program. I have a legal, retail, Windows 7 Premium package that was an upgrade to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RichardW, Jul 19, 2015.

1. RichardW Win User

technet activations & free Win 10 upgrade question

I used to subscribe to Technet before Microsoft discontinued the program.

I have a legal, retail, Windows 7 Premium package that was an upgrade to Vista.

I just used one of my Technet Windows 7 Ultimate keys that I had saved from my Technet subscription to upgrade Premium to Ultimate in anticipation of the Windows 10 upgrade in 10 days.

I activated it and the "Get Windows 10" icon appeared. When I right click & check my upgrade status, it says: "Your update is reserved!". I had done the reservation before I upgraded from Premium to Ultimate.

Is the Technet Windows 7 Ultimate product key eligible for a free Windows 10 upgrade?

Did I make a bad mistake moving to Technet Ultimate from retail Premium? Am I OK right now?

:)

RichardW, Jul 19, 2015

2. One windows copy for multiply computers

Win 10 (unlessed purchased) is an upgrade.

1-if you upgraded your "genuine" win 7 to win 10 it is for that computer only

2-The free upgrade is finished so you cannot re-install win 7 then upograde for free

3-Once a computer is upgraded to win 10 and activated you can always re-install win 10 & or replace the HD. You Cant take the old HD and use it on a new motherboard.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 19, 2015
  3. billbill2 Win User
    I cant activate win 10 after hardware change (mobo, cpu)

hello

I have link licence to Microsoft account (free update from win 7 to win 10)

and after hardware change (motherboard, cpu) i cant activate win 10

ty

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install & upgrade

billbill2, Jul 19, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

TechNet subscriptions are considered retail licenses, and no different from any other retail. So yes, they are eligible.

Mystere, Jul 19, 2015
  5. RichardW Win User
    Thanks.
    I got worried after the "Get Windows 10" icon disappeared.
    I had forgotten to activate the Ultimate upgrade.
    After, I activated Ultimate, the icon came back.

RichardW, Jul 19, 2015
  6. mcleaver Win User
    My subscription is still active, but no Win10 downloads are covered?

mcleaver, Jul 28, 2015
  7. No TechNet subscriptions are still active anymore. The program was shut down a while ago, in 2014, if I remember correctly. You can still log in, but the download section only shows what's publicly available. You have to get Windows 10 the same way everyone else is getting it.

DeaconFrost, Jul 28, 2015
  8. mcleaver Win User

Technet is still fully functional for me. I can download other versions of Windows and Office (even for the Mac).

mcleaver, Jul 28, 2015
  9. It sounds like you are logging in to the Volume License Center. TechNet expired on September 30, 2014.

TechNet Subscriptions

10. mcleaver Win User
    But not if your subscription is still running. And mine has a couple of months to go.

mcleaver, Jul 28, 2015
  11. It shouldn't be. Consider yourself lucky. If you read the link I sent, they explained the extension period and when they weren't renewing anymore. You are the only person I've heard that still has active download links. Renewals haven't been accepted in quite some time.

I would download all you can at this point, because you should have been shut off a while ago. Get it while you can.

12. mcleaver Win User
    Subscription extended on 21 June 2013 for two years plus 90 days is still two months to go. Nothing wrong with that. ;-)

mcleaver, Jul 28, 2015
  13. Billbo Win User

My recent Technet Windows 8.1 install is "activated," but I have no Windows 10 notification in the taskbar. Any clues? Also, have tried Create Media Tool for the upgrade...twice without success. No error message. Just returns me to Windows 8.1.

Billbo, Aug 1, 2015
  14. Thomas Win User
    Some TechNet keys are still valid. I just upgraded W7 Pro to W10 on two machines and both have activated with the old TechNet keys. You can use Belarc Adviser or Show key to find keys. My Office 10 Pro keys still work.

Sign in to TechNet with your old ID and Password and you can find a list of keys assigned to you.

Thomas, Aug 1, 2015
  15. victory Win User
    has anyone come across a situation with Technet keys - 2 separate pcs - different Win 7 keys, but when upgrading to Win 10 both machines got the same product key. both machines are different (atom and i7).

victory, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

1. technet activations & free Win 10 upgrade question - Similar Threads - technet activations free

2. Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free: Hello folks, I'm a Senior male trying to help my neighbor who is even older than me. He stopped using his laptop after his wife died, so I thought with the little knowledge I have I would re set up his email. I found out he is still running Win 8. My question is, is there a...
  3. Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free: Hello folks, I'm a Senior male trying to help my neighbor who is even older than me. He stopped using his laptop after his wife died, so I thought with the little knowledge I have I would re set up his email. I found out he is still running Win 8. My question is, is there a...
  4. Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Free win 10 upgrade in the future?

Free win 10 upgrade in the future?: I have a PC with Windows7 and would like upgrade to Win 10. Will Microsoft offer free Win 10 upgrade in the future? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-win-10-upgrade-in-the-future/b66abe36-cadd-42f5-89c6-2f3152a74a9b
  6. Win 10 Free Upgrade

Win 10 Free Upgrade: I still have Win 8.1 Pro in one of my pc's. Is it too late to upgrade to Win 10 Pro for free. If so what would be the process.Win https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-free-upgrade/6c5b0473-a789-4832-918f-0579fdb5c9d2
  7. upgrade Win 8 technet licenses

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrade Win 8 technet licenses: I have a bunch of Win 8.1 licenses from my technet subscription. Obviously, the subscription no long exists, but I find these licenses still work when I activate my machines. So my question is: how can I batch upgrade these licenses to Win 10 before it the free upgrade...
  8. Free upgrade question

in Windows 10 Support
    Free upgrade question: Hi, I have been reading the free upgrade FAQ on here and stuff on other sites but still unsure about one point. Once my PC has downloaded the files for doing the free upgrade do I have to perform the upgrade within the first year since Win 10 launch or can I do it at a later...
  9. Free upgrade still working (old technet Keys)

Free upgrade still working (old technet Keys): Hi there I created some Windows images on different machines this morning (30 Jul 10:56 local time) -- still activating W10 --using old keys from my Technet subcription. If you've got some keys left and some machines grab the Free upgrade while it's still working...
  10. Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered: Here are a few more answers to some nagging questions about Windows 10 upgrades and activation in the post-Anniversary-Update era. Phasing out the year-long free Windows 10 upgrade promotion is, no doubt, a complicated process. But getting answers about how this process...