Windows 10: telnet carriage return (with no line feed)

Discus and support telnet carriage return (with no line feed) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm using a windows 10 machine and running putty on it to telnet into a video switcher. The video switcher accepts SIS commands and one of the commands... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by neuronetv, Aug 19, 2017.

1. neuronetv Win User

telnet carriage return (with no line feed)

I'm using a windows 10 machine and running putty on it to telnet into a video switcher. The video switcher accepts SIS commands and one of the commands is ECI with a carriage return needed at the end of it - with no line feed. I don't really understand how a carriage return can have no line feed but I don't know how to deliver this in the telnet window. The video-switcher-user-manual uses a bent arrow symbol for a normal keyboard return but for this command it shows a straight arrow pointing to the left and the manual stipulates this as Carriage return (no line feed). How do I do this in telnet? Thanks for any help.

:)

neuronetv, Aug 19, 2017

2. How to send emails to a group of 35 contacts in Windows 10?

I have the same problem using Window 10 mail app. Although there is no option to send emails to group of contacts, I used the following trick in the mail app of Windows 8.1 : the email addresses were created in a column of an Excel sheet. Copying and
    pasting this column to the "To :" field of the mail app was working pretty well. Unfortunately, under Windows 10 the mail app makes a mess of the message because the addresses in the "To :" field are separated by the non printable carriage return/ line feed
    characters (address1@dom1;CRLFadrress2@dom2;CRLFadress3@dom3;...) when pasted from Excel. And Windows 10 mail app just cannot handle this ! Why, I do not know but this worked perfectly under Windows 8.1 mail app. Removing the carriage return line feed characters
    between the adresses, whatever way you want to use, will solve the issue.

chezmichdup, Aug 19, 2017
  3. 5800XpressMusic - problem entering carriage returns on web

I can enter carriage returns (either hitting the key in the QWERTY keyboard or hitting 0 three times) when texting, writing notes, and using my mailbox set up in messages, but I can't enter carriage returns when editing text boxes on webpages. Webmail,
    comment boxes on Facebook etc, either the carriage return key simply doesn't work, or the carriage return mark appears and is then ignored, and text continues on the same line.

Very frustrating - does anyone know of a fix or a workaround for this?

panderson1979, Aug 19, 2017
  4. mike s Win User

Sounds like putty is using the wrong terminal emulation configuration. You need to edit the parameters for the connection you have created for this task.

IIRC there is an option to set the line endings to send either CR (control-M), or CR/LF (control-M, control-J). In an emergency you can usually mimic these by using these explicit key combinations instead of the return key, until you get it figured out.

mike s, Aug 20, 2017
  5. neuronetv Win User
    ok mike thanks for your feedback

neuronetv, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. telnet carriage return (with no line feed) - Similar Threads - telnet carriage return

2. Can't set telnet client for telnet links...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't set telnet client for telnet links...: If I turn on the telnet feature, it doesn't add the necessary registration keys. If I install a telnet client that is supposed to set the default telnet app, it doesn't. I seem to have the telnet client disabled in the OS. If I click on a telnet link from a browser, nothing...
  3. Telnet works fine but telnet lib does not.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Telnet works fine but telnet lib does not.: I created a virtual router with gns3. I can connect it well with the telnet. It however fails when trying to use the exetnsion for pyhton, telnetlib....
  4. Telnet works fine but telnet lib does not.

Telnet works fine but telnet lib does not.: I created a virtual router with gns3. I can connect it well with the telnet. It however fails when trying to use the exetnsion for pyhton, telnetlib....
  5. Your Phone text message line feed or carriage return

Your Phone text message line feed or carriage return: How do I insert a line feed or carriage return when typing a text message with Your Phone on my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/your-phone-text-message-line-feed-or-carriage/ae4135c2-b34e-4faa-88b5-22e587ca3fc4
  6. carriage return

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    carriage return: how do I get excel to move from a1 tab b1 c1 to a2 and c2 to a3 etc ie https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/carriage-return/dd9b8916-c02d-46f2-8279-8fa11096b839
  7. Font size on my Tabs and in the feed line

in Windows 10 Customization
    Font size on my Tabs and in the feed line: Font size on my Tabs and in the feed line; my screen has been changing on its own, and now the text is much larger than I desire... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/font-size-on-my-tabs-and-in-the-feed-line/682eb7ef-8654-4f75-8b02-b386f8048dd2
  8. CARRIAGE JAM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CARRIAGE JAM: Cartridge holders jammed under cover and can't release them. Watched little carriage jam video but has no effect. Can't call up any options on printer control screen. Any ideas? Any ideas?...
  9. Telnet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Telnet: Hi All, I just signed up and this is my first post. My question is: since there is no telnet server in Windows 10 that would be the reason I can not Telnet in from my Centos VM Correct? I can Telnet into my CentosVM from my Windows VM but not vice versa, Thank You in...
  10. automatically add two carriage returns to all pasted text or images

in Windows 10 Support
    automatically add two carriage returns to all pasted text or images: It seems there used to be a windows interface for the clipbrd.exe utility but if there is one in Windows 10 I cannot find it. I am trying to add 2 <cr> (line break) or <Enter> characters to the end of anything I put in the clipboard before it gets pasted back. Since...