Windows 10: Telnet

Discus and support Telnet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi All, I just signed up and this is my first post. My question is: since there is no telnet server in Windows 10 that would be the reason I can not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Railroadman100, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Telnet

Hi All,
    I just signed up and this is my first post. My question is: since there is no telnet server in Windows 10 that would be the reason I can not Telnet in from my Centos VM Correct? I can Telnet into my CentosVM from my Windows VM but not vice versa,
    Thank You in advance
    Tom

:)

Railroadman100, Oct 27, 2017
  2. cjpa---01 Win User

E71 "no gateway reply"

Open a command prompt and type "Telnet 192.168.1.254" (basically telnet your gateway, if you have changed its ip, then telnet it); After you login run these commands:

wireless qos config mode=disabled

saveall

This should resolve the problem.

cjpa---01, Oct 27, 2017
  3. VPN Server on Windows 10 not Working

OK, the fact that the telnet command generated a blank console means that the telnet server did what it was supposed to do. You now know that it is active on this machine.

The next step consists of running the telnet machine on a different machine
    on the same network
    :

telnet 192.168.1.x

Make sure to type the server's internal IP address. Again you must get a blank console.

Frederik Long, Oct 27, 2017
  4. pparks1 Win User

Telnet

Ummmm, you should be using SSH to connect into your Linux box. It's far more secure than using Telnet.

Windows doesn't offer the same sort of connectivity. You can run RDP, but that gives you a remote desktop. You "can" install the subsystem for Linux to get some of that functionality. But natively you don't connect from Linux to Windows and get a terminal

pparks1, Oct 27, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    Use WINSCP with Putty. You can also run Webmin in the backend to use it as a web access for changes.

bro67, Oct 27, 2017
  6. pparks, Yes usually I would use SSH, this is for a lab in advanced networking, the lab is designed around windows 7. We have access remotely to our Windows 10 VM, inside there we have access to the Citrix server which is where we created our CentOS machines. We then putty to our Centos machine, start vncserver and then connect to our Centos desktop. Our Professor wanted us to connect back and forth using telnet and ftp, just to get a feel for it. In order to telnet IN to my Centos machine I had to comment out some lines in the /etc/pam.d/remote file, then I could use the Win10 telnet client to connect. I spent about 4 hours troubleshooting that and then I couldn't Telnet in to my CentOS machine. I just wanted to make sure my hypothesis was correct about the reason, which is no Telnet server in Win10.
    Thank You for the reply!

7. pparks1 Win User
    There is a telnet server and telnet client in win 10. Add and remove windows features.

pparks1, Oct 27, 2017
  8. Telnet

Can you tell me where to find it, all the research I did says they only put the client on Win10, they want you to use RDP
    Telnet [​IMG]

9. bro67 Win User
    Again use WinSCP and Putty. A whole lot better than the Microsoft clients. As for a Telnet Server, the Centos would be that, not Windows Desktop. If you want to use a Telnet server for testing between CentOS and Windows Desktop, there are plenty if you look through the depository that Majorgeeks.com keeps. Just remember that the more services active, the better chance to have it open to security risks.

bro67, Oct 28, 2017
  10. pparks1 Win User
    Jeez, my bad. It was deprecated in 8 and 2012R2. So, its no longer there. Its not included anymore as its terribly insecure.

My bad for thinking it was still there.

pparks1, Oct 28, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    A lot of stuff got depreciated. The only question is for what the OP needs for a Telnet server and that really the CentOS should be running it when you only need it, not all of the time, unless they create a good set of SSH Hashtag keys.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Telnet

1. Telnet - Similar Threads - Telnet

2. No buffer using command prompt for telnet Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No buffer using command prompt for telnet Windows 11: Hello,I notice when using Command Prompt in Windows11 that after you telnet to a device there is no buffercan't scroll back to previous output. If I just stay within command prompt everything works fine and the buffer is there. This never was the case with Windows10. Is there...
  3. No buffer using command prompt for telnet Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No buffer using command prompt for telnet Windows 11: Hello,I notice when using Command Prompt in Windows11 that after you telnet to a device there is no buffercan't scroll back to previous output. If I just stay within command prompt everything works fine and the buffer is there. This never was the case with Windows10. Is there...
  4. Unable to telnet on 443 to slb.cynet.com saas site using telnet

Unable to telnet on 443 to slb.cynet.com saas site using telnet: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-telnet-on-443-to-slbcynetcom-saas-site/ec27821f-5621-4e41-9ab6-5a1ab7a47ab1
  5. Unable to telnet on 443 to slb.cynet.com saas site using telnet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to telnet on 443 to slb.cynet.com saas site using telnet: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-telnet-on-443-to-slbcynetcom-saas-site/ec27821f-5621-4e41-9ab6-5a1ab7a47ab1
  6. why do i not have the telnet client on my windows 10 computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why do i not have the telnet client on my windows 10 computer?: so i wanted to enable telnet just to see it cant find the telnet client, what do i do?im on the newest windows 10 versipn https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-i-not-have-the-telnet-client-on-my-windows/607cb08c-e911-4848-b5d0-e65e069326bf
  7. why do i not have the telnet client on my windows 10 computer?

why do i not have the telnet client on my windows 10 computer?: so i wanted to enable telnet just to see it cant find the telnet client, what do i do?im on the newest windows 10 versipn https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-i-not-have-the-telnet-client-on-my-windows/607cb08c-e911-4848-b5d0-e65e069326bf
  8. why do i not have the telnet client on my windows 10 computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Can't set telnet client for telnet links...

Can't set telnet client for telnet links...: If I turn on the telnet feature, it doesn't add the necessary registration keys. If I install a telnet client that is supposed to set the default telnet app, it doesn't. I seem to have the telnet client disabled in the OS. If I click on a telnet link from a browser, nothing...
  10. Can't set telnet client for telnet links...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't set telnet client for telnet links...: If I turn on the telnet feature, it doesn't add the necessary registration keys. If I install a telnet client that is supposed to set the default telnet app, it doesn't. I seem to have the telnet client disabled in the OS. If I click on a telnet link from a browser, nothing...