Windows 10: temporarily disable indexing

Discus and support temporarily disable indexing in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I suspect that windows indexing might be causing the short, intermittent freezes that I have been experiencing. I want to test it. I went to services... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by shmu26, Jan 11, 2016.

1. shmu26 Win User

temporarily disable indexing

I suspect that windows indexing might be causing the short, intermittent freezes that I have been experiencing.
    I want to test it.
    I went to services and stopped windows search.
    But I see that the process SearchIndexer.exe is still running.
    What is the right way to do this?

:)

shmu26, Jan 11, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows trigger my HDD

To temporarily turn off the Indexing service:

Press the Windows Key and type services.msc

In the list of services, look for Windows Indexing Service

Select this service, double click it, stop the service and set its startup type to disabled

Then restart your system and keep an eye one your hard drives to see if the issue is resolved . . .

DaveM121, Jan 11, 2016
  3. JMTx Win User
    Indexing Never Finishes

Hello,

Ever since the last major Windows update which I only received a few weeks ago, I have noticed that Windows Search and Indexing takes up a large amount of system resources. Indexing never finishes and my system runs extremely hot and my battery life is
    very much shortened. I have deleted and reset the index multiple times and this helps only temporarily. I have customized the indexing to only my personal files and outlook but it still gets hung up and overheats. The only thing that works is completely
    disabling the indexing and search service. Any solutions? I would like this service again but I cannot tolerate the overheating. Thanks.

JM

4. lx07 Win User

You could go to indexing options and click on pause

5. shmu26 Win User
    it says "indexing complete"
    my problem is not an ongoing indexing job.
    It is rather the periodic checks that windows does, to make sure the index is up to date, it seems to do this when data changes.
    that's what I want to turn off.

shmu26, Jan 11, 2016
  6. shmu26 Win User
    okay, I disabled it from services, and restarted
    that works.
    but my computer just froze again for a couple seconds, so that isn't the problem.
    I get this thing where the active window becomes unresponsive for a couple seconds, and then goes back to normal.
    It could be MS Word, it could be Chrome, it doesn't seem to matter which program is open. It just freezes for a couple seconds.

I have an SSD with plenty of space, 8 gb ram, skylake i-5 cpu. And I am not running heavy applications. Can't figure it out.
    I checked for malware with various scanners and it comes up clean.

shmu26, Jan 11, 2016
  7. luarpc Win User
    If you have an SSD i advise you to permanently disable Windows indexing.

luarpc, Jan 11, 2016
  8. shmu26 Win User

modern SSDs are not going to wear out from normal use. So why disable it? I like to be able to search the contents of files.

shmu26, Jan 11, 2016
  9. topgundcp Win User
    True. However, Windows search is not the best thing to have and that's why there's 3rd party app that can handle search more efectively such as Everything Search Engine. I was using it until I try: Listary - Fabulous search utility | Keep files at your fingertips

If you still want to use Windows search feature then it's fine but look under :
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb
    This is where the index database is located. After all the major updates, Windows search will rebuild its database and sometimes it's huge, can grow up to many GB's and hence it will take time. You might want to delete this file (Windows.edb) and let Windows rebuild it.

topgundcp, Jan 11, 2016
  10. shmu26 Win User
    thanks
    I will check out listary.

shmu26, Jan 11, 2016
  11. shmu26 Win User
    Is deleting this file the same as rebuilding the index?, I mean, it forces windows to rebuild the index, if indexing is turned on?

shmu26, Jan 12, 2016
  12. topgundcp Win User
    Yes. You need to open services and disable Windows search first, delete the file Windows.edb then re-enable Windows Search

topgundcp, Jan 12, 2016
  13. shmu26 Win User

I think that also the advanced options in indexing allow you to rebuild the index

shmu26, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. temporarily disable indexing - Similar Threads - temporarily disable indexing

2. How do I temporarily disable windows defender?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I temporarily disable windows defender?: I am trying to temporarily disable windows defender on a PC running windows 11. I am not interested in getting a third party security program.When trying to install a program I know for sure is safe as I run it on my other pc, defender blocks the installation and deletes some...
  3. Search Indexing has been temporarily paused in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Search Indexing has been temporarily paused in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]Search Indexing is an integral part of the Windows 11/10 OS, which ensures that it can be shown to them when a user tries to find a file or folder. Without indexing, WIndows search will be a lot slower as files will be searched in real-time, and the process will have...
  4. How to temporarily disable lock & disable lock based on wifi connection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to temporarily disable lock & disable lock based on wifi connection: I was wondering if there is a feature in win 10 or a program which has an option to quickly disable screen locking as a tile in the notification panel or as an icon in the taskbar. In linux/gnome there is an extension called "caffeine" which just does that, and its very...
  5. How to temporarily disable antivirus and firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to temporarily disable antivirus and firewall: I am trying to download a game I know is safe but I'm being "protected" by my antivirus. None of the articles I have read so far have been helpful....
  6. Can AntiMalware be temporarily disabled?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can AntiMalware be temporarily disabled?: Can I temporarily disable antimalware? I keep my Win 10 PC up to date. Sometimes it gets extremely slow. When I open Task Manager, it indicates Antimalware is running and using all my memory, and the end task box is not available. It would be nice to be able to stop...
  7. Disable Indexing Service\Windows Search

in Cortana
    Disable Indexing Service\Windows Search: Several people have told me I should do this to help my SSD. How do I do this? "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." John Muir...
  8. Disabling certain applications temporarily

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling certain applications temporarily: Is there a program that allows me to temporarily disable certain applications/services while I am running something? Just wanna use that to stop my anti-virus program (and some other stuffs as well) while I'm playing a game. I often find it annoying because it constantly...
  9. Temporarily disable Windows Update Reboot

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Temporarily disable Windows Update Reboot: Hello all, I'm about to have a meltdown caused by Win updates. I'm trying to recover data from a 8TB drive, and it's taking an unusually long amount of time (1+ week), but it's progressing and about done. The drive in question is on it's last leg and the BIOS fails SMART, I...
  10. Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows How to Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows [img] Information By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Temporarily disable search indexing utilities