Windows 10: Temporarily stop Windows Update

Discus and support Temporarily stop Windows Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Is there simple procedure to temporarily stop the “Auto Windows Update” while I am working with the computer? 74527 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by big10, Jan 10, 2017.

1. big10 Win User

Temporarily stop Windows Update

Is there simple procedure to temporarily stop the “Auto Windows Update” while I am working with the computer?

:)

big10, Jan 10, 2017

2. Windows 10 Update Issue

You could stop the Windows Update service temporarily.

Press Windows key + R

Type: services.msc

Hit Enter

Scroll down to Windows Update

Select it then click Stop.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 10, 2017
  3. Marvelos Reg, Jan 10, 2017
  4. Temporarily stop Windows Update

Hiya big10

Sadly not as easy as in previous operating systems such as Windows 7.

Have you checked out Active Hours? They work by only allowing updates to install/restart when you are not using the computer, by you setting a time period for this.

Also you can configure Battery saver mode (if you have a laptop) to only download and install updates when fully charged or when not in Battery saver mode.

Other ways to Disable Windows Automatic Updates (however may not be suitable for a temporary disable).

ellellell1, Jan 10, 2017
  5. big10 Win User
    Every time when Windows 10 is updating, my computer slows down.

It seems I should temporarily stop my work to give way to auto update.

big10, Jan 10, 2017
  6. I see. It is interesting that an automatic update slows your computer down as it usually runs in the background and doesn't take up a huge amount of memory.

You could look at increasing the speed of your computer by:

• Uninstalling programs that you no longer need
    • Install CCleaner to do a quick clean up of non-important files
    • Type 'msconfig' into search and in startup > taskmanager select the programs you actually want to be running at the start of a boot (leave all microsoft and system services checked)

Did you find any success in my suggestions from my previous post?

I did find an article on this which focuses more on a temporary stop for windows updates which I hope will give you a solution *Wink

As annoying as windows updates can be, I do encourage you to leave automatic updates on where possible as it does make you computer more secure and improves general performance *Smile

ellellell1, Jan 10, 2017
  7. big10 Win User
    Thanks ellellell1.

I perform your suggestion regularly, but my computer is a cheap desktop, it has only 2GB RAM.

Some of the options mentioned in the article are not available in W10 Home version, "Set as metered connection" seems to the simplest method, I will buy a WiFi dongle, and try this method.

big10, Jan 10, 2017
  8. Temporarily stop Windows Update

Stop and disable Windows Update service when you are going to work and then enable it afterwards.

Or you can do it via those 2 files, run it as admin as needed.

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Temporarily stop Windows Update

1. Temporarily stop Windows Update - Similar Threads - Temporarily stop Update

2. Temporarily pause Insider updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temporarily pause Insider updates: The last Windows Canary build messed up my system and I had to roll back to the previous build. If I click on pause Windows Updates for 1 week, it stops everything including spotlight and antivirus and driver updates. When it resumes it tries to download and install the...
  3. Temporarily pause Insider updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temporarily pause Insider updates: The last Windows Canary build messed up my system and I had to roll back to the previous build. If I click on pause Windows Updates for 1 week, it stops everything including spotlight and antivirus and driver updates. When it resumes it tries to download and install the...
  4. Touchpad stops working temporarily when key is pressed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Touchpad stops working temporarily when key is pressed: When I press a key and try to use the touchpad simultaneously the touchpad keeps stopping. I assume this is some sort of palm rejection but I have spent like an hour following every single tutorial I could find but none solve my problem. The settings in the tutorials just do...
  5. Keyboard letters and numbers suddenly and temporarily stop working in most windows.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard letters and numbers suddenly and temporarily stop working in most windows.: This has been happening to me for 2 weeks in a row, I haven't installed any new applications and have been working only with chrome I don't have Firefox installed. It is really annoying.Punctually in my case, without prior warning or increased consumption of computer...
  6. Postpone or Pause Updates & Reboots Temporarily

Postpone or Pause Updates & Reboots Temporarily: I'm assuming this has been asked, but I can't find it., so I'm posting a question with answer here. If you want to postpone Windows 10 updates temporarily (e.g., I'm running an analysis in Python that takes ~14 days, but Windows thinks it's OK to download updates and reboot...
  7. Windows 10 Notifications Stops working Daily, Reboot fixes temporarily.

Windows 10 Notifications Stops working Daily, Reboot fixes temporarily.: I have battled this problem for quite some time now. I've read pretty much every thread in the Community forums related and tried all the fixes however nothing seems to fix this problem. I have performed the 3 methods listed below along with creating a new profile & have...
  8. Temporarily disable Windows Update Reboot

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Temporarily disable Windows Update Reboot: Hello all, I'm about to have a meltdown caused by Win updates. I'm trying to recover data from a 8TB drive, and it's taking an unusually long amount of time (1+ week), but it's progressing and about done. The drive in question is on it's last leg and the BIOS fails SMART, I...
  9. Heads up: temporarily prevent Windows or driver update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Heads up: temporarily prevent Windows or driver update: Microsoft has posted a downloadable troubleshooter to temporarily prevent Windows 10 from installing updates that may be causing problems. It works by hiding the update(s) you choose from a list of available updates, pretty much as worked in previous Windows versions. The...
  10. Temporarily stopping automatic file sorting?

in Windows 10 Support
    Temporarily stopping automatic file sorting?: When I rename some of the files in a folder they are always immediately sorted. Is there a no-brainer way or a freeware tool to toggle that on or off please? Research found a couple of registry hacks which would not be quick. I'm surprised this isn't a simple folder...