Windows 10: Temporarily stopping automatic file sorting?

Discus and support Temporarily stopping automatic file sorting? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I rename some of the files in a folder they are always immediately sorted. Is there a no-brainer way or a freeware tool to toggle that on or off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Terrypin Win User

Temporarily stopping automatic file sorting?

When I rename some of the files in a folder they are always immediately sorted. Is there a no-brainer way or a freeware tool to toggle that on or off please? Research found a couple of registry hacks which would not be quick.

I'm surprised this isn't a simple folder option!

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Sep 19, 2017

2. Manage internet data usage and Windows updates in Windows 10

Hi,

I set metered connection. But, still my Windows 10 updating automatically. Is there any way to stop?

Temporarily i turned off the updates from disable the update services file. Metered connection option was not useful for me in my Windows 10.

VinOth_VingO, Sep 19, 2017
  3. Received Zip file via Bluetooth

Unsupported files such as zip files are "saved" only temporarily and are eventually automatically removed by the phone's automatic processes.....they are not accessible to the user in this temporary status.

Julie fka profjulie, Sep 19, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, try the answer here for a way round that
    Microsoft Community

As the man with the square head said, 'Sometimes you have to think outside the box'

dalchina, Sep 19, 2017
  5. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks.That's a clever solution but not really ideal for my purposes. I typically start with files in filename order and step through, selectively renaming certain ones. So I want to simply see the names change after my F2 edit and decide myself when to resort them.

Terrypin, Sep 19, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 19, 2017
  7. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks, I'll follow up those suggestions. Currently trying the approach using fixed sort column of Date Created and it's not as awkward as I expected.

Terrypin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Temporarily stopping automatic file sorting? - Similar Threads - Temporarily stopping automatic

2. Windows 11 File Explorer Does not Sort Automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer Does not Sort Automatically: When I change filenames in a Windows 11 Explorer window, it does not automatically sort. I have set my view options for the folder exactly how I want it, gone into Folder Options-View-Apply to Folders-OK. I have attached two examples, both showing files I have renamed with...
  3. Windows 11 File Explorer Does not Sort Automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer Does not Sort Automatically: When I change filenames in a Windows 11 Explorer window, it does not automatically sort. I have set my view options for the folder exactly how I want it, gone into Folder Options-View-Apply to Folders-OK. I have attached two examples, both showing files I have renamed with...
  4. File Sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Sorting: Can some explain to me why two folders, both created just using CTRL+SHIFT+N sort the files differently *EDIT- some folders have been created using the 'New Folder' option when sharing a copy of files from Adobe Scan to Google Drive on an Android Phone*? I want the files to...
  5. File sorting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File sorting: I have a folder on a drive that has multiple sub-folders. I want to search the entire folder including sub-folders and sort the results individual files in a particular order date, size, file type, etc..How can I do that?...
  6. File sorting

in Cortana
    File sorting: I have a folder on a drive that has multiple sub-folders. I want to search the entire folder including sub-folders and sort the results individual files in a particular order date, size, file type, etc..How can I do that?...
  7. File sorting

File sorting: Re the sorting of files. I am not given the option of choosing A to Z, just the normal Name, Date modified, Type etc. So how do I get out of the sorting A to I, H to P and Q to Z? - for those who did not see my original question....
  8. Automatic sorting files and folders cancel in Win10 Explorer.

Automatic sorting files and folders cancel in Win10 Explorer.: Is it possible to force WinExplorer to have the files in the same place when I reopen the same window when I put them in my own order before? I tried it according to this tutorial - https://windowsreport.com/disable-auto-arrange-folders-windows-10/, but it only works 50% -...
  9. Stop compressing files automatically

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop compressing files automatically: My PC got pretty low on storage a few months ago and started compressing files by itself. I have now got around 200gb free and would like it to stop. Has anyone got any potential solutions to stop this, please? I have already looked at the properties of the C drive and the...
  10. Temporarily stop Windows Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Temporarily stop Windows Update: Is there simple procedure to temporarily stop the “Auto Windows Update” while I am working with the computer? 74527