Windows 10: Temporary add-on loading coming to Firefox

Discus and support Temporary add-on loading coming to Firefox in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Andy McKay, Engineering Manager at Mozilla, announcedyesterday on the official add-ons blog that Mozilla would implement temporary add-on loading in... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by binbinmen, Dec 23, 2015.

1. binbinmen Win User

Temporary add-on loading coming to Firefox

Andy McKay, Engineering Manager at Mozilla, announcedyesterday on the official add-ons blog that Mozilla would implement temporary add-on loading in its Firefox web browser.
    Now why would the organization do such a thing? One major change to the add-on system of Firefox that hit Firefox 43 was the add-on signing enforcement.
    All versions of Firefox ship with a switch that allows users to disable the enforcement so that they can load and run unsigned extensions in the browser. This will change in the future (likely Firefox 45) for Firefox Stable and Beta versions as Mozilla plans to remove that option from those browsers.

The change impacts not only users of the browser but also add-on developers. Considering that testing is a large part of the add-on creation process, not being able to test unsigned add-ons in Firefox Stable or Beta would seriously hinder and delay the development process.
    Firefox Load Temporary add-ons

Temporary add-on loading is Mozilla's solution to the problem. Starting with Firefox 45, Firefox will support an option to load an add-on temporarily in the browser.

Temporary add-on loading coming to Firefox [​IMG]

The feature is aimed at developers who need to test their add-ons on Firefox Stable and Beta versions, but can be used by anyone using Firefox.

To load temporary add-ons in Firefox, do the following:

• Load about:debugging#addons in the Firefox address bar.
    • Click on the "Load Temporary Add-on" button on the page that opens.
    • Select a Firefox .xpi file from the local system that you want to load and click open afterwards. You can load a file from the add-on directory instead to load the extension.

The selected add-on is added to Firefox automatically without installation prompt. It is listed under Extensions on the page, and will remain enabled for the length of the browsing session. Once you restart the browser, it is removed automatically again and won't be available anymore until you load it again in the browser.

The new temporary add-on feature bypasses the add-on signing restrictions that are in place in Firefox allowing you to load unsigned extensions in the browser.

Since add-ons are loaded only for the session, it is not really of use to Firefox users who want to keep on using unsigned extensions without switching to Firefox Developer Edition or Firefox Nightly.

One big issue of the approach that Mozilla has not mentioned is that the method won't work for add-ons that require a restart of the browser.

The solution is not ideal, and if Mozilla would look over at how Google handles these things, it should probably consider bringing Google's Developer Mode feature to Firefox instead. This would be far more developer and user-friendly than what is created right now.
    source

:)

binbinmen, Dec 23, 2015
  2. Azuch Win User

EDGE Microsoft needs a browser that works

Edge still stinks - 1.5 years after its release.

It is SLOW, STILL refuses to close at times, (Version 1607 build 14393.576 ), and pages have problems loading. If you have the "This page is having a problem loading" message, clearing your temporary internet files will fix it. This comes up WAY to frequently.
    Who wants to stop and clear browser temp files constantly to get a pages to load?

I always used Microsoft browsers, but now I switched to Chrome and will also try Firefox. Chrome has NONE of these problems.

Wake up Microsoft and fix this GARBAGE.

Azuch, Dec 23, 2015
  3. add an account will not load

HP Envy touchscreen, windows 10 - opened mail and clicked 'add account', and opened accounts>add an account - both begin to load, a temporary flash of a new window and then nothing.

LouisMarks, Dec 23, 2015
Thema:

Temporary add-on loading coming to Firefox

1. Temporary add-on loading coming to Firefox - Similar Threads - Temporary add loading

2. Need permission to load Firefox

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Need permission to load Firefox: When I try to load Firefox I get the message You’ll need to ask an adult in your family if you can use Firefox. But I am the administrator and an adult. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-permission-to-load-firefox/233d6aff-c25e-4e2e-99d2-3a8028c01a74
  3. New Firefox coming June 1

in Browsers and Email
    New Firefox coming June 1: Behind the design of the fresh new Firefox coming June 1 | The Firefox Frontier A new Firefox is coming your way on June 1 with a fresh look designed for todays modern life online. We pored over the browsers user interface pixel by pixel, measured the value users were getting...
  4. Cannot Add Firefox Add-ons to Toolbar or Overflow

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot Add Firefox Add-ons to Toolbar or Overflow: Hello. First, I tried to search about it, couldn't find an asnwer. I use Firefox and Firefox Developer and issue is the same on both browsers. I have add-ons, in my add-ons list, which are activated,but they are not either in the toolbar or the overflow menu or even in the...
  5. Cannot Add Firefox Add-ons to Toolbar or Overflow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Add Firefox Add-ons to Toolbar or Overflow: Hello. First, I tried to search about it, couldn't find an asnwer. I use Firefox and Firefox Developer and issue is the same on both browsers. I have add-ons, in my add-ons list, which are activated,but they are not either in the toolbar or the overflow menu or even in the...
  6. Firefox And Add ons

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox And Add ons: I must admit Firefox has improved dramatically in the centuries since I last used it. However, I have installed add on FVD Speed dial (better than Vivaldi or Opera) and after a false start uninstall and reinstall, got it sorted and would like to ask now if: There is any way...
  7. twitter won't load in Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    twitter won't load in Firefox: Very peculiar - all of a sudden, twitter will no longer load in Firefox on my desktop pc. When I try to open twitter, for a split second I see it starting to load posts and then the little circle "loading icon" appears and it just stalls there. It has never done this before...
  8. temporary profile loaded

in Windows 10 Customization
    temporary profile loaded: Each time I log on to my computer it loads a new profile...how come? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temporary-profile-loaded/05397ed1-3beb-48dc-8164-73b73ea4c8c6
  9. New password security features come to Firefox with Firefox Lockwise

in Windows 10 News
    New password security features come to Firefox with Firefox Lockwise: Remembering unique, strong passwords for all your accounts and apps is a challenge, but it’s also essential for good digital security. We’re making that easier by helping you generate and manage passwords with Firefox Lockwise — all seamlessly, straight from your browser....
  10. Firefox Add-ons attacked

in Windows 10 News
    Firefox Add-ons attacked: NoScript and other popular Firefox add-ons open millions to new attack | Ars Technica 46530