Windows 10: Temporary black box shows on startup

Discus and support Temporary black box shows on startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Running Win 10 on a HP Envy and upon startup everything normal, then icons appear on desktop, then a 5 inch black square in upper right of screen and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sammy12, Jan 2, 2016.

1. sammy12 Win User

Temporary black box shows on startup

Running Win 10 on a HP Envy and upon startup everything normal, then icons appear on desktop, then a 5 inch black square in upper right of screen and this hangs for about thirty seconds then disappears and everything is fine. This does not occur on restart. At the top of black box is the following C:\programdata\242466\sysmon.exe How do I get rid of this delay....thanks Sammy

:)

sammy12, Jan 2, 2016
  2. msinport Win User

Can't boot Windows 10 in Normal Startup, Use original boot configuration not working

Under your "enable the Normal startup" instructions.......as soon as I click on Apply, my settings instantly revert to Selective Startup with Load System Services box showing a black square.....Load Startup Items being checked.....Use Original Boot Configuration
    being checked, but greyed out.

Normal Startup CANNOT be persuaded to activate and STAY activated.

Do you have any MORE suggestions?

Thanks

msinport, Jan 2, 2016
  3. rdmeyer Win User
    The search box locks and only shows a black box

Sometimes the search box locks and only shows a black box, not the app searched for. I can reboot and it resumes its normal function but sometimes it stops again.

rdmeyer, Jan 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, a quick search for sysmon.exe which I assume you've done suggests it could be related to a variety of things from LiUtilities to a trojan. (I.e. legitimate to bad).

Do you have or have you had the Torch browser installed?

If you have a good AV installed, assume it's been scanned and hopefully is not bad.
    Suggest you go to C:\programdata\242466\ and rt click and examine the properties of sysmon.exe which might help to identify it.

Given that, you can use (e.g.) Sysinternals Autoruns (free, run as admin) and see if you can find sysmon.exe as a startup. Download Autoruns, install, run as admin, wait for it to load data, use Autoruns find.

If sysmon.exe is not found, it is presumably launched by sthg else.

Try a clean boot. If the box does not appear, enable more startups until it does. That way you may be able to identify what is launching it.

Idea for removal: Get Revo Uninstaller, use Force uninstall, and browse to Sysmon.exe. See what Revo shows in the list of what may be uninstalled. Read carefully, act with caution, and then decide whether to accept Revo's recommendations.

dalchina, Jan 2, 2016
  5. sammy12 Win User
    thanks, I found sysmon.exe in "C:\ProgramData\242466\sysmon.exe" /startup by using aurorun for sysmon.exe When I clicked the properties I got the following
    DESCRIPTION Microsoft .NET Services Installation Utility Microsoft Corporation
    LOCATION c:\programdata\2424662
    SIZE 32 kb
    CREATED DEC 20th 2015 modified DEC 19th 2015
    which is about time screen got black box. Should I now delete the file located in programdata or do you have a recommendation to do something else thanks again

sammy12, Jan 3, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Just wondering if this is also your post? If not, a curious coincidence.. also HP Envy
    SYSMON.exe startup - Windows Startup Programs Database

What I'm not sure about is whether this indicates an incomplete installation or stg else, never having come across this.. perhaps someone else will have an idea now we have the properties info.

What you could try is checking your .net framework installation using this small tool:
    .NET Framework setup verification tool, cleanup tool and detection sample code now support .NET Framework 4.6.1 - Aaron Stebners WebLog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

dalchina, Jan 3, 2016
  7. sammy12 Win User
    yes came here after more Google searching for Windows 10 forums as not much traffic on Beeping compared to here. Went to site you posted and did verifier, clean, and repair for 4.6 and it still shows box but for only about 2 seconds which is better. For a brief second the box shows a printed page but too fast to read. Maybe there is a way to stop that scroll before box disappears? At any rate my problem is now an irritant but I guess it's liveable...thanks for help so far

sammy12, Jan 3, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, it sounds as if the verifier found sthg from what you say.
    I'd suggest using Autoruns to try to identify sysmon.exe as a startup, and so disable it (i.e. try to stop it launching), or you could simply try deleting it.

(I don't have a sysmon.exe on my C*Smile

Or,
    You could try 'uninstalling' Net 4.6 (Turn features on/off, under Programs and Features in CPanel: see
    How to uninstall net framework 4.6? - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

When you've removed it, check that entry for sysmon.exe has gone.

and allow Win 10 to reinstall it when you tick the box, and hope it's all 'clean' and the symptom has gone.

dalchina, Jan 3, 2016
  9. sammy12 Win User
    ran autoruns agaiin with filter and sysmon.exe showed up in it's file and so deleted, No black box during startup. Guess all is well. Will try uninstalling Net 4.6 if further problems down the road .....thanks for help

sammy12, Jan 4, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Good news- don't forget to click the thumbs up button if happy.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Temporary black box shows on startup - Similar Threads - Temporary black box

2. Temporary black screen on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temporary black screen on startup: Every time I boot my pc, I get a flash of a black screen for about 3 seconds exactly when the windows startup chime is. It is annoying to say th eleast but I think this might be leading to a bigger software/hardware problem....
  3. Temporary black screen on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temporary black screen on startup: Every time I boot my pc, I get a flash of a black screen for about 3 seconds exactly when the windows startup chime is. It is annoying to say th eleast but I think this might be leading to a bigger software/hardware problem....
  4. All Notifications show as blank, black boxes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All Notifications show as blank, black boxes: All pop out notifications are showing up as unreadable black boxes. This is causing serious issues with keeping apprised of meeting starts, email notifications, just basic daily functions.Windows is up to date.GPU Drivers removed and re-installed.Notifications are on.Focus...
  5. All Notifications show as blank, black boxes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Notifications show as blank, black boxes: All pop out notifications are showing up as unreadable black boxes. This is causing serious issues with keeping apprised of meeting starts, email notifications, just basic daily functions.Windows is up to date.GPU Drivers removed and re-installed.Notifications are on.Focus...
  6. Black box

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black box: HI! I just want to know how can I remove the black box that appears around the sliders and the date. Thanks! [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-box/476afa3c-8b3d-446d-96d2-dfcb6920a4d4
  7. Black boxes showing on desktop screen HELP

Black boxes showing on desktop screen HELP: Hi I download this thing that was supposed to clean up my desktop And make everything look a lot better in return I got this [IMG] How could i go about getting my icons back?...
  8. temporary black screen while windows creds box pops up

in Windows 10 Support
    temporary black screen while windows creds box pops up: Has anybody experienced a black screen for almost a minute whenever you trigger anything that needs admin creds? It doesn't happen consistently but I am noticing it happen on both the 1803 and the 1809 builds. Its more of an annoyance than anything and it just seems like the...
  9. black box

black box: what's the black box that has appeared in the videos https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/black-box/fd4f2975-dec4-4c57-a7aa-53a35bb73ce4
  10. Tooltips not showing, showing black box instead

Tooltips not showing, showing black box instead: When I hover over Min, Max and Close for any program like IE, Outlook, Skype, Windows Explorer. The tooltips are black boxes. It normally shows a text box saying Minimize, Maximize or Close. I am getting black boxes instead... Its almost like it is trying but cannot do it...