Windows 10: temporary boot problem

Discus and support temporary boot problem in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My desktop PC is dualboot with two SSD's and HDD. It ran for a long time without problems. This morning the PC suddenly stopped working and my monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by PiKo, Oct 2, 2016.

1. PiKo Win User

temporary boot problem

My desktop PC is dualboot with two SSD's and HDD. It ran for a long time without problems. This morning the PC suddenly stopped working and my monitor told me: no signal. Several restarts did nothing. Waiting for half an hour and starting up did nothing. The PC refused to boot. No messages, dark screen.
    Trying to boot from a recovery disk: The DVD did close itself during startup but the recovery disk did not spin. No booting possible, although the DVD is the first booting device.
    My conclusion: hardware failure or serious Bios problem, so we go to the PC shop.
    After an hour in the PC shop, after several restarts suddenly everything started working again. No problem anymore.
    Check 1: was there a disturbing Windows update: no; check 2: something to see in the error logs: no.
    Although everything works now, I am wondering what has happened and what could be a possible cause. Was it just a long time waiting that some (boot?)memory could reset itself? Or possibly a lingering hardware issue? Thanks for ideas.

:)

PiKo, Oct 2, 2016
  2. p.reis Win User

Windows 10 Temporary Profile

because of another problem, i changed the windows fast boot option.

this no longer seems to be a problem for me.

i believe (and have no way to prove):

-for whatever reason or logic Microsoft multithreads ALL boot up processes

-they get in the way of each other and if "things" are done in the wrong order it ends up thinking my profile is corrupted, ergo the temporary profile

-i removed the "fast boot option" which ***i think*** removes the multithreading in the boot up processes and they are then done in the proper order

-since they are done in the proper order, there are no profile "errors", and no temporary profiles created.

-the cost to do this? Microsoft says the boot process may take longer. i would guess that my boot up process is a split second LONGER (unless you consider the 5-10 minutes to create the new temporary profile and then a soft reboot as part of the boot up
    process - then it is VERY MUCH SHORTER, and it WORKS)

since i have made this change i have NEVER had a new temporary profile created.

"Grrrr" (and hope this helps others here looking for a solution)

p.reis, Oct 2, 2016
  3. Can't access the admin profile

Thank you, but the problem is still there. Seems like Windows is cycled to boot always to temporary profile. In account settings, I can see the admin profile, plus the new profile, I have created. But when I restart the machine, Windows goes directly to
    temporary.

BTW using the official stable version.

Jan Matějka, Oct 2, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

temporary boot problem

My best guess is a transient or intermittent power supply (PSU) problem. Contact your shop and ask them if your $30 fee will include a quick bench test of your power supply should this problem recur. If so, you can exercise that option if and when it happens again. If not, you might want to consider buying this $18 part from Newegg: Rosewill RTK-PST - Digital LCD Power Supply Tester-Newegg.com. You'll have to take your PC pretty much apart to use this thing to check your power supply, but it will tell you if it isn't working properly on one or more of its output rails. If you work on PCs, or build your own, it's something worth having for your toolkit anyway, and it's not terribly expensive.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 2, 2016
  5. PiKo Win User
    Thanks for your suggestion; I will keep it in mind when it happens again.
    Still a question: my desktop is 5 years old (and still very fast). Could it be an effect of the end-of-life of the CMOS battery? However, with other people's PC's, I saw the end-of-life causing wrong dates/times and that was not what happened here.

PiKo, Oct 3, 2016
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    It is hard to imagine this as anything but a hardware problem. A bad or failing CMOS battery could not do this. Most likely suspect would be the PSU.

LMiller7, Oct 3, 2016
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Agreed. That said, CMOS batteries cost a couple of bucks. They're easy to swap out. If you're game to try, it won't take much time, money or effort to make that happen. One big BUT: you'll lose all of your current BIOS settings if you swap out the battery. If you've made any alterations to the BIOS, you should take a snapshot and save it to a file, and learn how to replace the default BIOS with your customized version. OTOH, you can go through all the screens and record all settings, then restore them by hand. I prefer the record and replay method because it's less work. Do as you see fit!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

temporary boot problem

1. temporary boot problem - Similar Threads - temporary boot problem

2. There's a temporary problem with the service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There's a temporary problem with the service: Like so many people on here, none of whom seem to have received a satisfactory response, I can't get a password email sent. Every time I do I get the message "There's a temporary problem with the service. Please try again. If you continue to get this message, try again...
  3. There's a temporary problem with the service

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    There's a temporary problem with the service: Like so many people on here, none of whom seem to have received a satisfactory response, I can't get a password email sent. Every time I do I get the message "There's a temporary problem with the service. Please try again. If you continue to get this message, try again...
  4. "There's a temporary problem with this service"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "There's a temporary problem with this service": I have a elderly friend with a PC Windows 10 and when trying to boot up going past the login page she gets a dialogue "Verify your identity". There is an option for text to a mobile but when she tries this she gets "There's a temporary problem with this service. Please try...
  5. "There's a temporary problem with this service"

"There's a temporary problem with this service": I have a elderly friend with a PC Windows 10 and when trying to boot up going past the login page she gets a dialogue "Verify your identity". There is an option for text to a mobile but when she tries this she gets "There's a temporary problem with this service. Please try...
  6. "There's a temporary problem with this service"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Temporary profile problem

Temporary profile problem: Hi , I have problem with temporary profile in windows 10. After that i saw some solution videos and in that they suggested to go in regedit and profile list and delete .bak code file from there. I had deleted that .bak file but i think it was my original profile. So now...
  8. Temporary memory problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temporary memory problem: I'm running Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 4 tablet and I can't seem to delete the temporary files that are eating up all my memory. When I click to clean up files and remove temp files, first it doesn't show about 180GB of files that are listed in the temporary files. When I...
  9. Temporary Profile problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Temporary Profile problems: After update 1903 I have been logged into a temporary profile. I do not think I am competent enough to do a 'regedit'. How can I get my own profile re-instated?...
  10. Temporary profile problem?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Temporary profile problem?: Ok so I know how to fix the problem from looking on YouTube with directions as it's happened to me twice now but now the actual problem i'm having to ask here is regarding fixing my mom's name on the computer. After I finished fixing my name and restarted the computer which...