Windows 10: Test Run to Upgrade 8.1 to 10

Discus and support Test Run to Upgrade 8.1 to 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; With the RTM date fast approaching I want to try an actual upgrade installation as opposed to clean install on separate hard drive. I will make a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gramps, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Gramps Win User

Test Run to Upgrade 8.1 to 10

With the RTM date fast approaching I want to try an actual upgrade installation as opposed to clean install on separate hard drive. I will make a system image of my 8.1 setup to an external drive, then I plan on cloning my 8.1 to a hard drive and perform the upgrade on the clone drive to see how things go. Any advice/comments from anyone who tried something similar?

:)

Gramps, Jul 13, 2015

2. Windows Task Bar unresponsive

Reverting back to 7 is not possible, who would of guessed? God damn wheres the **** support for this ****!

I have also tried to use an Ethernet cable to connect to the internet and the same or similar problems arise (not being able to access the flashing or none flashing taskbar with along with the windows associated programs). I suppose the direction windows
    is going, that internet is just a useless thing of the past??

Windows 11 or "9" must be the answer to the inbred thinking to windows 10. AWFUL COMPANY AND PRODUCT! thanks for the damn support Test Run to Upgrade 8.1 to 10 ;) i feel appreciated as a customer.

downgraded to 10, Jul 13, 2015
  3. Windows Task Bar unresponsive

I will just disregard this message and revert back to Windows 7. This has been very disappointing. This is a Microsoft upgrade and a Microsoft issue, which there is minute support for. I use this computer for work purposes, and this experience has done nothing
    but conflict the way I make my money. Therefor, I will not be wasting my money on a company that has no interest in supporting their customers or taking the time (three years obviously was not nearly enough) to make sure,
    their product, is fully functional before it is pushed out.

Please ignore this entire post unless there is a known fix or an update that solves the incompetency of this upgrade. I wish to not waste anymore of my time with dead ends. Wish me good luck in reverting back to 7 as I have little faith in this faulty operating
    system!

downgraded to 10, Jul 13, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I did it and I had zero issues. My procedure was to have Win10TP on a separate HDD then I unlocked it and I ran the setup while I was in Win8.1. The upgrade went just fine.. for me at least.

BunnyJ, Jul 13, 2015
  5. Gramps Win User
    Thanks Bunny. I was successful in upgrading to build 10166, all of my previous installed programs and data were fine, nothing got broke in the process. Took about 50 minutes from start to finish. Couple of minor bugaboos w/video and sound drivers, and onedrive, got them all sorted out. I did just get an updated NVidia driver, 353.50, via windows update, it installed and there was no mention that a re-start was needed, but to get it work I had to re-start. To get the correct audio driver I had to do a driver update through device manager, it would not install through the windows update process, kept getting a failure message. 10166 seems real stable, my cloned 8.1 system may not see the light of day again...at least I hope I won't need it.

Gramps, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Test Run to Upgrade 8.1 to 10 - Similar Threads - Test Run Upgrade

2. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  3. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  4. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. upgrade 8 to 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade 8 to 10?: upgrade 8 to 10 - how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-8-to-10/3faa6b74-8fec-41cf-a677-b81ebb72a4f2
  6. upgrade 8 to 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrade 8 to 10?: upgrade 8 to 10 - how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-8-to-10/3faa6b74-8fec-41cf-a677-b81ebb72a4f2
  7. [Belfast] - Lamya - Test 1

in Windows 10 Customization
    [Belfast] - Lamya - Test 1: test Q 1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/belfast-lamya-test-1/c4a28dd7-57e0-473d-96f8-d6bb3f5edd5e
  8. WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1: After I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 my WiFi is not working. When I restart also it isn't working. Randomly after I shutdown and start my laptop, it's working. Hope a quick solution for this issue. Thank you....
  9. Running windows 8 upgraded to 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Running windows 8 upgraded to 10: My computer crashed hard. I did nothing but come home from work and all I had was Windows 10 lost all my programs Now I get this message that say's to reconnect drive file history. I'm no computer whiz-bang. But I don't understand I have found where drive D is turned off...
  10. windows 8 to 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 8 to 10 upgrade: I have windows 8 (not 8.1) on a laptop. I have ran updates till there are no more important updates. I want to upgrade to 10. I looked at the tutorial (Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup#step6) and it seems straight forward....