Windows 10: Testing remote connection / VPN from same Lan

Discus and support Testing remote connection / VPN from same Lan in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Network Gurus Is there any way to test a Remote connection / VPN from WITHIN the same LAN -- I know you can do it via a mobile phone hotspot setup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, May 22, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Testing remote connection / VPN from same Lan

Hi Network Gurus

Is there any way to test a Remote connection / VPN from WITHIN the same LAN -- I know you can do it via a mobile phone hotspot setup and connect a laptop to that but that's a bit of a mess when I want to debug a VPN that's not working properly. I'm sure the port forwarding part is working OK and I've fixed the server on the network to have its own IP address.

I've tried via using separate ethernet connector but it's all on the same LAN so the external IP address is the same --

Any ideas

please not Teamviewer etc -- need proper solution without 3rd party apps.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 22, 2018

2. WM6.5 - Remote desktop over VPN

So i am trying to access a server on my network using my MW6.5 remote desktop over a VPN-connection

These are the issues i have:

• Remote desktop connects locally but not remote
    • VPN is working for Active Sync but not Remote Desktop
    • I have tried to access the remote client using only Remote desktop, and also tried to start the VPN-connection manually but there is no go
    Remote desktop works perfectly locally but as soon as i am outside the network it don't work.
    I use the same VPN-settings as for my Active Sync (pushmail from my exchange) and i am also trying to access the exchange server... that is, the same IP is used for both Active Sync and Remote Desktop.

I would guess that since Active Sync activelly start the VPN-connection when it tries to sync my email Remote Desktop would do the same when i use it - but no!

I am using a localized HTC HD Mini (swedish), we have a cisco VPN-concentrator, server is running Windows Server 2008 R2. I would like to know how to make this work.
    (if i missed some info needed i will supply what is asked for)

Robert Österlund, May 22, 2018
  3. bambooyip Win User
    Win 10: DNS resolution of remote network via VPN connection not working

Thank you ECC-Dan.

Changing the metric to 15 for TCP/IP v4 && v6 works. After ipconfig /flushdns, nslookup is pointing to the remote DNS server (it is DHCP scope setting for VPN clients) as opposed to local DNS server. So, from the angle of nslookup, it works ...

Additionally, I discovered another messy area on W10 is the Edge browser. I have a simple web page on the remote network for testing purpose. Edge DOES NOT work when I tried to open www.mydomain.local (it works in W7/8/8.1. I have to open it in IE !!

Nice to share my troubleshooting experience here.

Ben

bambooyip, May 22, 2018
Thema:

Testing remote connection / VPN from same Lan

1. Testing remote connection / VPN from same Lan - Similar Threads - Testing remote connection

2. Remote desktop connection via VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote desktop connection via VPN: I have remote desktop on both a laptop and a mini PC. Both have windows 11 pro. I am able to connect while on the same network. I'd like to understand how to connect remotely while on different networks via the VPN method....
  3. Remote desktop connection via VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote desktop connection via VPN: I have remote desktop on both a laptop and a mini PC. Both have windows 11 pro. I am able to connect while on the same network. I'd like to understand how to connect remotely while on different networks via the VPN method....
  4. Windows VPN - Can connect and ping VPN server but cannot ping any other devices on remote LAN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows VPN - Can connect and ping VPN server but cannot ping any other devices on remote LAN: I've set up a VPN in Windows exploiting the "Incoming connection" feature and a DDNS service no-ip.com.Follows my configuration:- Remote LAN vpn server LAN:192.168.1.0/24 router IP 192.168.1.1VPN server pc static 192.168.1.50PPP interface 192.168.10.1- VPN connection settings...
  5. Windows VPN - Can connect and ping VPN server but cannot ping any other devices on remote LAN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows VPN - Can connect and ping VPN server but cannot ping any other devices on remote LAN: I've set up a VPN in Windows exploiting the "Incoming connection" feature and a DDNS service no-ip.com.Follows my configuration:- Remote LAN vpn server LAN:192.168.1.0/24 router IP 192.168.1.1VPN server pc static 192.168.1.50PPP interface 192.168.10.1- VPN connection settings...
  6. Windows VPN - Can connect and ping VPN server but cannot ping any other devices on remote LAN

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Remotely connecting to Desktop from a non-local LAN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remotely connecting to Desktop from a non-local LAN: Hello there! As the title says I want to remotely connect to my desktop from my laptop from a different LAn connection not the local one. I already enabled the remote connection and it worked superb on local LAN. But when I forwarded my port through wifi and everything step...
  8. VPN Connected but Remote Server Not Connected

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    VPN Connected but Remote Server Not Connected: elloI Purchase HP Laptop Spectre Windows 10 Home editionNow My PC Configuration VPN in My Machine, Also Update Group Policy Configuration Then I want to connect remote server in my office PC then Getting ErrorPlease Check it and give me feed back ThanksAlpesh Patel...
  9. Remote Desktop connection using VPN connection

Remote Desktop connection using VPN connection: Hello there, Can anyone help me with the below issue please, For some reason, i couldn't connect to my work remote desktop computer. However, i can connect this from my laptop. Recently got a new Desktop so, wanted to connect to my work virtual computer from my desktop....
  10. Two Ethernet Connections for Simultaneous VPN and LAN

Two Ethernet Connections for Simultaneous VPN and LAN: Hey Guys, I've got an interesting question for you guys: I'd like to be able to place a computer inside a VPN protected network for me to access. This is easy and will be no problem. I would also like to remote desktop into this computer so that I can run specific software...