Windows 10: Testing Wifi speed

Discus and support Testing Wifi speed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How can I test the speed of my laptop's 802.11ac wifi connection? I would like to know how fast I can retrieve (but not store) data from my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by machare, Sep 28, 2017.

1. machare Win User

Testing Wifi speed

How can I test the speed of my laptop's 802.11ac wifi connection?

I would like to know how fast I can retrieve (but not store) data from my Synology NAS, or maybe send data to the NAS.

The laptop has (2x2) and connects at 867 mbps. I should be able to transfer data at half this speed say 433Mbps, but when I use Windows 10 to copy a file the speed barely reaches 300Mbps, perhaps because the file is being written to the laptops SSD.

:)

machare, Sep 28, 2017

2. Slow internet speed.

I used speedtest.net and the results were relatively the same on all my devices.

download speed of 23.66 Mbps

upload speed of 5.96Mbps

Three other laptops and 4 phones all function with pretty normal speed when hooked up to the wifi.

chadi terad, Sep 28, 2017
  3. Slow Internet speed on only one computer.

I have cable internet, download 150mb / upload 10mb. When i test the connection on my phone via wifi in the same room as the computer it is downloading at 175mb / and uploading at 12mb. Ive tested other computers and they are not having the same issue.
    The speeds are identical when testing speeds over ethernet and wifi.

Thank You

Moved from: [Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures]

CODYPORTER, Sep 28, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Testing Wifi speed

Is the connection between you and the NAS, wifi?

swarfega, Sep 28, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    Also there are other overheads. TCPIP sends various ack, nak and checksums back and forth so it isn't only your data being sent. That should account for around 10% reduction.

You could turn on jumbo frames to reduce this.

6. Helmut Win User
    It is not particularly easy to test WiFi speed as there is often some other hardware limitation(s), also higher errors with WiFi than Ethernet which means data being resent.

I have A Synology NAS box, wired 1 Gbs network interfaces hardware, and the limitation is around 300-400 Mbs. That is a limit of hardware probably the HDDs(WD Red) or other NAS box hardware.

I got marginally more using up to SMB2 & large MTU.

When I had 100 Mbs network cards/router, same NAS box, I got about 80-100 Mbs wired.

Basically there is probably nothing wrong with your setup, looks about right to me for Wireless. Obviously try wired 1 Gbs and compare.

Helmut, Sep 28, 2017
  7. machare Win User
    A 1Gbps wired connection from my desktop PC to the NAS via the same router (acting just as a Wifi access point and switch) gives me 888Mbps or so during a file copy. I am just curious as to why the laptop does not get nearer to half the connection speed which this document made me this document https://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...or-dummies.pdf made me think I should be able to achieve.

machare, Sep 28, 2017
  8. Helmut Win User

Testing Wifi speed

It's about right for Wireless a max real speed of a third or so of the connection speed. You are expecting too much of Wireless.

A third is the number I use. Going way back to Wireless G it was about 18 Mbs real for 54 Mbs connection speed.

Helmut, Sep 29, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - the 50% is rarely ever met in real life (your 1/3rd rule is a pretty good guide).

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Testing Wifi speed

1. Testing Wifi speed - Similar Threads - Testing Wifi speed

2. CPU speed test

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU speed test: What is a fairly safe CPU speed test program to use? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-speed-test/574591c7-f2bd-4641-a959-e7dd508a8664
  3. CPU speed test

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU speed test: What is a fairly safe CPU speed test program to use? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-speed-test/574591c7-f2bd-4641-a959-e7dd508a8664
  4. Speed Test confusion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Speed Test confusion: Hello, I run Windows 10 Pro 1909. Recently I upgraded to Fibre and ran some speed-tests to confirm all was well; this is where the confusion came in. Using the identical speed-test I found a difference of 10Mg between results depending on which Browser I accessed the...
  5. Speed Test confusion

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Speed Test confusion: Hello, I run Windows 10 Pro 1909. Recently I upgraded to Fibre and ran some speed-tests to confirm all was well; this is where the confusion came in. Using the identical speed-test I found a difference of 10Mg between results depending on which Browser I accessed the...
  6. Network speed test

Network speed test: Network speed test - service to perform network speed test not available error -try again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-speed-test/e20a44e6-96e4-4ee8-8a3d-258ecfbbeebd
  7. Easy Speed Test

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Easy Speed Test: I have restored this to a previous day from where it began on my computer. It is not displayed in the programs. How do I get rid of it. It pops up upon start up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/easy-speed-test/da2588ef-d17b-4b3a-bf2a-a1b48b924251"
  8. Chrome speed test issue

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome speed test issue: After having problems with IE 11 on my old eMachine with Win-10 (Home)/ Comcast server I installed Chrome. It works good but the speed test resulted in 1/3rd the speed of IE 11 or FireFox. Several typical dead end suggestions (Internet ‘sperts) I assume that Chrome has some...
  9. Speed test recommendations?

Speed test recommendations?: I've been using Flash Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test but I just got through with an exhaustive two separate night support case with AT&T Fiber Optic where it was shown to be incredibly inaccurate. Is there a better more accurate speed test out...
  10. Win speed test different from Speed test.

Win speed test different from Speed test.: My laptop, a Dell Studio 1535 running WIN 10, is ethernet connected to my Century Link 1000A modem/router, When I run the speed test, on the laptop, provided by windows it displays 5.?? mbit upload and a 5.?? download. When I run SpeedTest I get a 5.?? upload and a 47 mbit...