Windows 10: Text Disappearing All Over Windows Randomly

Discus and support Text Disappearing All Over Windows Randomly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, Ive got a weird issue here. More often than not, when I log onto Windows on my laptop, my desktop icons are missing text. It is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ArazelEternal, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Text Disappearing All Over Windows Randomly

Hello all,

Ive got a weird issue here. More often than not, when I log onto Windows on my laptop, my desktop icons are missing text. It is not limited to just the icons though. Context menus are all missing text as well, along with everything when I open Windows explorer. Folders, apps, docs. etc are all missing their text. This happens to the extent where Im not able to use my computer, which is why I dont have any screenshots. I type in the search box for Cortana, no text. It comes up with suggestions for what I type, but no text again. No labels for anything so Im not able to see what it comes up with for results. Sometimes labels will be partial, parts of words, letters will show up but not the whole thing. If I either log off or restart, sometimes it will all come back and I able to use my computer

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Dell Precision M4800
    Windows 10 Pro x64, latest insider build
    Intel Core i7 4810MQ
    16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
    NVIDIA Quadro K2100M
    Intel HD Graphics 4600
    Samsung PM830 128GB SSD
    Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSHD
    1366*768 Screen Resolution

EDIT:

Ive searched all over Google. I cant find anything that really seems to match the issue I am having, and some are from a couple years ago. I really have no idea whats going on here.

:)

ArazelEternal, Mar 14, 2017

2. Cursor or input indicator

cursor "text input indicator" NOT Pointer, randomly moves to anywhere on the screen or disappears altogether

While typing and not looking at screen cursor will move and when I push enter, the cursor may have moved somewhere

else in the text body and placed text in wrong place, then I have to redo text, or it may have disappeared from the text body and moved over to an Ad, like in facebook and when I press enter the Ad will pop up. I can not take it anymore, very frustrating.

I use a wireless mouse, do not have a problem on my Win 7 laptop with the same mouse.

This is a new Dell Inspiron i5559-4682 , Win 10-64, "lowly" Home addition. This happens randomly while input text, any program, app, or email, it has done it twice while typing this. I need help, ran diagnostics, come up ok every time, this is a Windows
    problem, please help. All updates applied.

***Post was moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

umpapamalmal, Mar 14, 2017
  3. Predictive text bar on Lumia 620 keeps disappearing.

Why does the predicitive text bar on my Lumia 620 keep randomly disappearing. All the correct options in the 'Keyboard' section of 'Settings' are checked, but the bar keeps disappearing and I don't know why. Its very annoying and makes typing on the touch
    screen very hard.

I Wakefield, Mar 14, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Text Disappearing All Over Windows Randomly

Hi, do you see the same thing in Safe Mode?

And do you have a suitable system restore point or previously created disk image (which we strongly and repeatedly recommend using routinely e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) ) you could use to restore your PC?

dalchina, Mar 14, 2017
  5. Yes, the same thing happened in safe mode as well. I just did a clean install of Windows. I couldnt get the text to come back when I turned my laptop on today so I said screw it and reinstalled Windows. Thanks for your response though.

ArazelEternal, Mar 14, 2017
  6. Pi87 Win User
    Yes, I have. It started on this box after Creators Update - no other box has this issue (all running Win 10 pre-Creators).I read somewhere that it's GFX card related (NVIDIA), but it looks like a Windows glitch. I run Windows 10 Home x64 ver 1703 (build 250)

Pi87, May 7, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Unlikely to be graphics related if it's apparent in Safe Mode (#3)... or at least that would seem to eliminate the NVIDIA driver as a culprit.

dalchina, May 7, 2017
  8. Pi87 Win User

This is very true -- I forgot about the Safe Mode part, thanks *Smile .

Also, I can certify it's not due to some DISM corruption issue. To cut a long story short, Creators has this bug that gives a 0x800f081f DISM error, a matter that has been talked to death elsewhere, so I won't go on here *Smile All I'll say is that at first I thought that was the culprit, though SFC gave no errors. Anyway, the issue turned out to be two leftover test registry entries which (when removed) allow DISM to finally finish restoring the image (and it turns out wasn't needed on my box). So - the disappearing text problem persists even after that DISM issue is fixed. I have latest BIOS version (MSI BIOS 2.10/AMI BIOS 2.1) and all drivers updated.

One thing I've noticed is that the problem tends to happen the very first time the PC starts. System drive is SSD, not sure if that makes any difference - but I did notice something else a bit weird (to me at least): a 'chkdsk /f /scan' gave a lot of unused index entries cleaned from security descriptors. Repeating the 'chkdsk /f scan' reduced them from 400 plus something down to 11, both from index $SII and $SDH of 'file 0x9'. Not sure if that's related. But then I tried a 'chkdsk /scan /forceofflinefix' without any problem anywhere, including the security descriptor indexes. Not sure if this is related, but thought I'd mention it.

Pi87, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Text Disappearing All Over Windows Randomly - Similar Threads - Text Disappearing Randomly

2. When hovering the cursor over text, the text disappears Garmin Basecamp Database

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When hovering the cursor over text, the text disappears Garmin Basecamp Database: Setup: Lenovo E14 Win11, running for 1,2weeks after purchaseGarmin Basecamp was working for this time properlySuddenly without a special event / correlation when hovering the cursor over text, the text disappears in Basecamp databaseWhen switching to another task and back to...
  3. When hovering the cursor over text, the text disappears Garmin Basecamp Database

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When hovering the cursor over text, the text disappears Garmin Basecamp Database: Setup: Lenovo E14 Win11, running for 1,2weeks after purchaseGarmin Basecamp was working for this time properlySuddenly without a special event / correlation when hovering the cursor over text, the text disappears in Basecamp databaseWhen switching to another task and back to...
  4. Text disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text disappeared: So I added text to the bottom of all my home videos so as you watch them you can see the dates in the corner now a year or do later all the text are missing on all my videos what happend and how do I fix it thank you for any help...
  5. Text missing all over!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Text missing all over!: [ATTACH] So I have text missing from file names, from buttons and options inside Notepad and even from Task Manager. I can barley navigate the system, the files themselves are not courted and everything else works fine seemingly, chrome and other non-Windows programs are...
  6. Google chrome getting suspended+text disappearing over time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Google chrome getting suspended+text disappearing over time: [IMG] Problem When i download something, even viewing some sites causes google chrome gets suspended and get a leaf icon which only should happen to uwp. I cannot change even google chrome settings its get that and i cant find any reason to that happen texts also...
  7. All text disappears after restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All text disappears after restart: Hi, I have strange problem with win10 and I think it happend after some update. All text keeps dissapearing not only text from all kind of menus, desktop icons, try panel but also text in any terminal cmd or powershell. Strange thing is when I logout I have to press win+x...
  8. Windows 10 Cursor disappears over text in several applications

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Cursor disappears over text in several applications: My cursor temporarily disappears over different applications and programs such as WORD, Chrome, Matlab etc., especially on text-writing areas....
  9. Serious Issue: All Text in Windows Explorer Disappears?

in Windows 10 Support
    Serious Issue: All Text in Windows Explorer Disappears?: Hey guys, This has only had to me 3 times in the past 12 months or so, but it's very concerning when it does happen. What happens is all the text in Windows Explorer will disappear and nothing is readable. I've always been able to fix the problem by doing a...
  10. Text randomly disappears in most programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Text randomly disappears in most programs: After installing creators update, the text in most programs would disappear randomly, making them impossible to use. Symptoms before this happens: Computer usually hangs (sometimes even mouse cursor freezes) for at least a few minutes If I happen to have task manager...