Windows 10: the action can't be completed because the folder a file in it

Discus and support the action can't be completed because the folder a file in it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am trying to rename a folder. I get the message below. [img] When I am doing this, I have closed all the files that were open. THe only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ironfist, Mar 16, 2017.

1. ironfist Win User

the action can't be completed because the folder a file in it

I am trying to rename a folder.

I get the message below.

the action can't be completed because the folder a file in it [​IMG]

When I am doing this, I have closed all the files that were open.

THe only thing I can think of is that there's still a file in that folder, in that instance of the program, that says .~lock.BLOG1.docx# since I had it open in openoffice. Then, I closed open office. But that file is still there. I opened it in another window and it is not there.

How come it won't let me rename it? Is this an openoffice problem?

:)

ironfist, Mar 16, 2017

2. the action file cant be completed because the file is open COM surrogate windows 10

Hello Rahul,

Your concern needs an in-depth technical assistance. We recommend that you post your concern to our
    MSDN Forum. It’s a community of Network developers who can provide you the best resolution. The members
    in this forum can provide you advanced troubleshooting steps and tips to complete the task that you're trying to accomplish.

Regards.

Lawrence Lib, Mar 16, 2017
  3. the action file cant be completed because the file is open COM surrogate windows 10

the action file cant be completed because the file is open COM surrogate windows 10

RahulKejriwal, Mar 16, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Right click the Taskbar and Start the Task Manager, click More Details, under the Processes tab look for any Open Office File, Microsoft Office, WordPad etc file that is opened and End Task.
    You can also restart the computer and try renaming the folder.

spunk, Mar 16, 2017
Thema:

1. the action can't be completed because the folder a file in it - Similar Threads - action can't completed

2. The action can't be completed because the file or folder is open in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The action can't be completed because the file or folder is open in windows explorer: Everytime I tried to delete some files an error is occurring showing above phrasePlease help me out with this annoying problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-action-cant-be-completed-because-the-file-or/250d0fe5-99ca-43a6-8288-30faad7049cd
  3. The action can't be completed because the file or folder is open in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The action can't be completed because the file or folder is open in windows explorer: Everytime I tried to delete some files an error is occurring showing above phrasePlease help me out with this annoying problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-action-cant-be-completed-because-the-file-or/250d0fe5-99ca-43a6-8288-30faad7049cd
  4. The action can't be completed because the file or folder is open in windows explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. This action can't be completed because the file is open in System

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This action can't be completed because the file is open in System: Hi, I intend to delete files in the WindowsApps>MSIXVC folder. Everytime I delete the files, I get a message "This action can't be completed because the file is open in System. I have already taken the ownership of the files and the folder. Please help on how to delete this...
  6. This action can't be completed because the file is open in System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This action can't be completed because the file is open in System: Hi, I intend to delete files in the WindowsApps>MSIXVC folder. Everytime I delete the files, I get a message "This action can't be completed because the file is open in System. I have already taken the ownership of the files and the folder. Please help on how to delete this...
  7. catroot2 folder rename error : the action can't be completed because the folder or a file...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    catroot2 folder rename error : the action can't be completed because the folder or a file...: Gettng this error while trying to rename the catroot2 folder step. net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start...
  8. This action can't be completed because the file is open in COM Surrogate.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This action can't be completed because the file is open in COM Surrogate.: hi guys, so i downloaded a photo from google then after using it i decided to delete that photo but it says that it can't delete the file because of COM surrogate but after i full scanned my pc i am able to delete the file (photo) so i successfully deleted the file (photo)...
  9. The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program: Below is the message I receive when I try to move a folder within One Drive using file explorer. Help? "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program"...
  10. The action can't be completed because the file is open in system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The action can't be completed because the file is open in system: i find a way to delete this file all day pls. tell me how to delete this file.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-action-cant-be-completed-because-the-file-is/9baf642b-e161-4282-93fc-efec1da46ffe"