Windows 10: The action can't be completed.. open in another program

Discus and support The action can't be completed.. open in another program in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I see. LockHunter doesn't work on individual files in the Recycle Bin. So try this: [img] Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pepanee, Apr 4, 2018.

1. pepanee Win User

The action can't be completed.. open in another program

I see. LockHunter doesn't work on individual files in the Recycle Bin.

So try this:

The action can't be completed.. open in another program [​IMG]

pepanee, Apr 4, 2018
  2. mibaup Win User

I am facing an issue lately:
    When I try to move folders from one place to another, or rename, or just do anything with them I get the message:
    "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program"
    It happens even when I try to move files from inside the Recycle Bin outside of it to the Desktop for example.. extremely annoying

Sometimes when I restart Windows Explorer via task manager it works, but only for a short time, and not always

What is the problem?

Thanks

:)

mibaup, Apr 4, 2018
  3. E for Excel, Apr 4, 2018
  4. The action can't be completed.. open in another program

This action can't be completed because the file is open in another program

My guess is that the file is open in another program and that program is your antivirus scanner. Which AV program do you use?

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Apr 4, 2018
  5. hiphopper Win User
    So many things can cause that. If you have a cmd line Shell open and cd into that directory it will cause this. Programs using the directory or files in the directory.

There is a tool that would identify what is holding a file from being moved. Don't recall where to find it though.

hiphopper, Apr 5, 2018
  6. It's difficult to determine the cause of the problem at this time. However, completely shut down the computer, start it back up.
    When the computer is completely booted back up and ready, attempt to rename a folder (don't try to move it) you know you have already tried. Let us know the result.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 5, 2018
  7. This issue could be caused by some Antivirus programs.

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
  8. pepanee Win User

pepanee, Apr 5, 2018
  9. don1952 Win User
    Which version of Win 10 are you running?
    This problem raised it's head for me after updating to ver 1709.16299.334.
    However having upgraded to the Spring Creators Edition (1803.17133.1) the issue has fixed itself.
    None of the "unlockers" I tried could fix it.

don1952, Apr 5, 2018
  10. Thank you for that information.
    In my thinking it hasn't been proven yet that there is a locked issue yet.
    In my case, if I try the change the title of a "mother" folder that has an open document, I cannot change the title of the "mother" folder.
    If I close the document and ensure no other files or folders within the "mother" folder changing the title of the "mother" folder is not a problem: it might be a coincidence or my imagination but sometimes it takes a short period of time for the renaming to take for whatever reason. That's what I was hoping to find out about in my post #3.
    --- Is a "mother" folder technically locked from being renamed when an included file or folder within its hierarchy is in use?

BTW Is the Spring Creators Edition (1803.17133.1) already installed on your computer because your are on an insider version?

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 6, 2018
  11. skcusime Win User
    This issue can be caused by Malwarebytes 3.4.4. Close Malwarebytes and try again. If it now works, you've found the culprit. There's a fix coming 3.4.5 which you can download.

skcusime, Apr 6, 2018
Thema:

1. The action can't be completed.. open in another program - Similar Threads - action can't completed

2. This action can't be completed because the file is open in System

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This action can't be completed because the file is open in System: Hi, I intend to delete files in the WindowsApps>MSIXVC folder. Everytime I delete the files, I get a message "This action can't be completed because the file is open in System. I have already taken the ownership of the files and the folder. Please help on how to delete this...
  3. This action can't be completed because the file is open in System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This action can't be completed because the file is open in System: Hi, I intend to delete files in the WindowsApps>MSIXVC folder. Everytime I delete the files, I get a message "This action can't be completed because the file is open in System. I have already taken the ownership of the files and the folder. Please help on how to delete this...
  4. “The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    “The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program”: All I want to do is simply rename a folder. No apps are running, this happens even immediately after reboot. I'm trying random potential solutions found on Google but nothing is helping, and I am normally a Mac user so I am quite lost in general.Can someone please help me?...
  5. “The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program”

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    “The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program”: All I want to do is simply rename a folder. No apps are running, this happens even immediately after reboot. I'm trying random potential solutions found on Google but nothing is helping, and I am normally a Mac user so I am quite lost in general.Can someone please help me?...
  6. “The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program”

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program: Below is the message I receive when I try to move a folder within One Drive using file explorer. Help? "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program"...
  8. This action cannot be completed because the folder or file is open in another program

This action cannot be completed because the folder or file is open in another program: We have all tried to delete stuff and are informed that the folder or file is currently open when it is not. While I realize there are workarounds such as rebooting or going into systems processes, let's all admit that it is a bug that really ought to be fixed. I shouldn't...
  9. File in Use: The action can't be completed becouse the file is open in another program.

File in Use: The action can't be completed becouse the file is open in another program.: I cleaned out my computer and wanted to back up my computer manualy to OneDrive whitch I knew how to do that, What I did was I right clicked on the Local Disk (C:) and clicked on coppy but now this window error poped up on my screen saying this "[ATTACH]...
  10. The action can't be completed because the file is open in system

The action can't be completed because the file is open in system: i find a way to delete this file all day pls. tell me how to delete this file.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-action-cant-be-completed-because-the-file-is/9baf642b-e161-4282-93fc-efec1da46ffe"