Windows 10: "The CPU isn't supported" error true or not

Discus and support "The CPU isn't supported" error true or not in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have gotten the app in my Windows 7 system. There was the warning/error "The CPU isn't supported", but still said "Your upgrade is reserved!" I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by timberwolf90, Jul 28, 2015.

1. "The CPU isn't supported" error true or not

I have gotten the app in my Windows 7 system. There was the warning/error "The CPU isn't supported", but still said "Your upgrade is reserved!"
    I assumed that the reservation would over-run the error. I thought: why would windows 10 accept the reservation, with having the CPU not up-to-date? But now the app is saying I can't upgrade because of my CPU not being supported.

I have a desktop Asus CG5275.
    -Windows 7 Pro 32-bit
    -Intel Core i5-650 3.20GHz CPU
    -Intel HD Graphics card
    CPUID CPU-Z info: screenshot

"The CPU isn't supported" error true or not [​IMG]

I want to know if my pc really can't upgrade because of an outdated CPU or if it is possible to upgrade.

*I know it's the release date now, so I might not get it free. I don't know if my reservaion is still viable.

Hope I can get some help,
    Kristin

:)

timberwolf90, Jul 28, 2015
  2. Ciuby Win User

"Messaging : feature not supported " ERROR on C7

Only in inbox mode. I reinstalled SO , same error..I think I will wait for Belle update "The CPU isn't supported" error true or not :p . when i install the conv apl , i get : this app is not compatible with your phone

Ciuby, Jul 28, 2015
  3. blitzkid Win User
    "Messaging : feature not supported " ERROR on C7

I couldn't have given a better and clearer explanation than what Tim just posted above. Hope your problem will be solved.

blitzkid, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Antilope Win User

"The CPU isn't supported" error true or not

I upgraded pc's that have older Intel cpu's with no problem. Two of my PC's that upgraded have about 5 year old processors. An Intel Core i5 750 and an Intel Core i5 2400. Both are running Windows 10 just fine. The first is in a Dell Inspiron 580 desktop and the second is in a Dell Optiplex 790 desktop.

I am running Windows 10 x64 on both systems. Both systems are upgraded to the latest Dell bios.

If you are currently running Windows 7 or 8/8.1, you have 1 year from today to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. If you don't upgrade within that year, then you would have to buy a copy of Windows 10 in order to upgrade (after July 29, 2016).

Go to the link below and download the Microsoft Windows 10 upgrade tool. When you run the program it will ask if you want to upgrade your computer or download a copy of Windows 10 for use to make media (DVD or USB bootable drive).

Windows 10

Antilope, Jul 28, 2015
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Windows 8.1 and 10 setup has CPU feature checks - PAE, SSE2, NX, (CMPXCHG16B only for x64) to install. If not enabled the checks fail. Your processor is a baby to my 10-year old (Pentium 4 Prescott) and has all these features for a 32-bit install, but they may be disabled.
    You could check your bios to see if the NX or XD (NoeXecute or eXecute Disable) and PAE (Physical Address Extension) features are enabled.

I think it is F2 key to enter setup at boot, it could be del. Your black and white screen, after the video bios has loaded will say press F2 for setup or similar.

The free upgrade period lasts for a year - don't worry.*Smile

Fafhrd, Jul 28, 2015
  6. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and when I ran it, I got the "Something Happened" error.
    Is there someway I can download Windows 10 by another site, or a direct link to an .ISO (that is legal of course)?

I have looked all around BIOS for eXecute Disable and PAE. I can't find anything? Do I need to upgrade BIOS, and how would I do that?
    I found out that you can enable PAE through Command Prompt.
    Code: bcdedit /set [{ID}] pae ForceEnable[/quote]
    But I am unsure about the {ID} part. Is this the right path, or should I focus on going through BIOS?

EDIT: FYI I am also triple booting this computer. All three are Windows 7, but the current partition is the only one I want to upgrade. I don't know if this is helpful or not...

timberwolf90, Jul 29, 2015
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    eXecute disable must be enabled in the BIOS. If you have that you will have PAE. Setting PAE as in your post is for an entirely different purpose and is essentially useless except for some highly unusual situations.

LMiller7, Jul 29, 2015
  8. Fafhrd Win User

On my much older Asus Motherboard BIOS after hitting del, I go to a dos-type tab style menu - under the advanced part the no execute function can be toggled between enable and disable.

From what I see here:
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download CG5275

You may wish to check that the up-to-date chipset drivers are installed

in the manual there is:

A support DVD which gives access to the BIOS among other things, and is an application that runs under windows.

It is found in the download - utilities - ASUS AI Manager V1.08.07 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit 7 - it may need to be run in compatibility mode, if it runs? (forgetting you are running Win 7, sorry.) But there is no documentation, so I cannot tell if it can do what you need to know.

GRC | SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features |   is a tiny free and safe utility that tells you if Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is available on your system. (NX)

Coreinfo is a utility that checks your processor for many features including PAE

Coreinfo

It runs from an admin command prompt, and produces an output in the console - you can capture that output to a text file with the command *<pathto>coreinfo > C:\coreinfo.txt <enter> and then notepad c:\coreinfo.txt <enter> to open the text file in notepad

*You can copy coreinfo.exe to C:\ then the <pathto> is C:\coreinfo

there is also an intel processor utility:
    Intel Download Center
    pidenu41.msi

Fafhrd, Jul 30, 2015
  9. I downloaded SecurAble. Here are my results:

Coreinfo gave me better results.

Code: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz x86 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2, GenuineIntel Microcode signature: 0000000E HTT * Hyperthreading enabled HYPERVISOR - Hypervisor is present VMX * Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization SVM - Supports AMD hardware-assisted virtualization X64 * Supports 64-bit mode SMX * Supports Intel trusted execution SKINIT - Supports AMD SKINIT NX * Supports no-execute page protection SMEP - Supports Supervisor Mode Execution Prevention SMAP - Supports Supervisor Mode Access Prevention PAGE1GB - Supports 1 GB large pages PAE * Supports > 32-bit physical addresses PAT * Supports Page Attribute Table PSE * Supports 4 MB pages PSE36 * Supports > 32-bit address 4 MB pages PGE * Supports global bit in page tables SS * Supports bus snooping for cache operations VME * Supports Virtual-8086 mode RDWRFSGSBASE - Supports direct GS/FS base access FPU * Implements i387 floating point instructions MMX * Supports MMX instruction set MMXEXT - Implements AMD MMX extensions 3DNOW - Supports 3DNow! instructions 3DNOWEXT - Supports 3DNow! extension instructions SSE * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions SSE2 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 SSE3 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 SSSE3 * Supports Supplemental SIMD Extensions 3 SSE4a - Supports Streaming SIMDR Extensions 4a SSE4.1 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.1 SSE4.2 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.2 AES * Supports AES extensions AVX - Supports AVX intruction extensions FMA - Supports FMA extensions using YMM state MSR * Implements RDMSR/WRMSR instructions MTRR * Supports Memory Type Range Registers XSAVE - Supports XSAVE/XRSTOR instructions OSXSAVE - Supports XSETBV/XGETBV instructions RDRAND - Supports RDRAND instruction RDSEED - Supports RDSEED instruction CMOV * Supports CMOVcc instruction CLFSH * Supports CLFLUSH instruction CX8 * Supports compare and exchange 8-byte instructions CX16 * Supports CMPXCHG16B instruction BMI1 - Supports bit manipulation extensions 1 BMI2 - Supports bit manipulation extensions 2 ADX - Supports ADCX/ADOX instructions DCA - Supports prefetch from memory-mapped device F16C - Supports half-precision instruction FXSR * Supports FXSAVE/FXSTOR instructions FFXSR - Supports optimized FXSAVE/FSRSTOR instruction MONITOR * Supports MONITOR and MWAIT instructions MOVBE - Supports MOVBE instruction ERMSB - Supports Enhanced REP MOVSB/STOSB PCLMULDQ * Supports PCLMULDQ instruction POPCNT * Supports POPCNT instruction LZCNT - Supports LZCNT instruction SEP * Supports fast system call instructions LAHF-SAHF * Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit mode HLE - Supports Hardware Lock Elision instructions RTM - Supports Restricted Transactional Memory instructions DE * Supports I/O breakpoints including CR4.DE DTES64 * Can write history of 64-bit branch addresses DS * Implements memory-resident debug buffer DS-CPL * Supports Debug Store feature with CPL PCID - Supports PCIDs and settable CR4.PCIDE INVPCID - Supports INVPCID instruction PDCM * Supports Performance Capabilities MSR RDTSCP * Supports RDTSCP instruction TSC * Supports RDTSC instruction TSC-DEADLINE - Local APIC supports one-shot deadline timer TSC-INVARIANT * TSC runs at constant rate xTPR * Supports disabling task priority messages EIST * Supports Enhanced Intel Speedstep ACPI * Implements MSR for power management TM * Implements thermal monitor circuitry TM2 * Implements Thermal Monitor 2 control APIC * Implements software-accessible local APIC x2APIC - Supports x2APIC CNXT-ID - L1 data cache mode adaptive or BIOS MCE * Supports Machine Check, INT18 and CR4.MCE MCA * Implements Machine Check Architecture PBE * Supports use of FERR#/PBE# pin PSN - Implements 96-bit processor serial number PREFETCHW * Supports PREFETCHW instruction Maximum implemented CPUID leaves: 0000000B (Basic), 80000008 (Extended). Logical to Physical Processor Map: *-*- Physical Processor 0 (Hyperthreaded) -*-* Physical Processor 1 (Hyperthreaded) Logical Processor to Socket Map: **** Socket 0 Logical Processor to NUMA Node Map: **** NUMA Node 0 No NUMA nodes. Logical Processor to Cache Map: *-*- Data Cache 0, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 *-*- Instruction Cache 0, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 4, LineSize 64 *-*- Unified Cache 0, Level 2, 256 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 -*-* Data Cache 1, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 -*-* Instruction Cache 1, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 4, LineSize 64 -*-* Unified Cache 1, Level 2, 256 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 **** Unified Cache 2, Level 3, 4 MB, Assoc 16, LineSize 64 Logical Processor to Group Map: **** Group 0[/quote]

timberwolf90, Jul 30, 2015
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    I can't see anything that is incompatible there PAE, NX, SSE2 and CX16 are all there.
    Perhaps it is a bug in the upgrade readiness detection program.
    You are running a 32-bit OS Windows 7 on a 64-bit processor - perhaps that has confused it? Ask Microsoft -they should have support in place by now https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664 may fix it

Except it seems impossible to find Log on to sevenforums to avoid all the competing adverts and go to Is there a way to download KB2952664 directly? Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

I don't have windows 7 to test things, sorry, I can't test this

Fafhrd, Jul 30, 2015
  11. I was wondering about the conflict between a 64-bit PC and a 32-bit Windows 7.

I have had to reformat and adjust partitions lately. I had to reinstall Windows 7 (in this partition) from scratch. Got out my Win98, Windows XP, and Windows 7 CD's. They were upgrades, which had me stuck at 32-bit. I was a bit disappointed because this computer worked great with 64-bit before....anyways,

I downloaded the KB2952664 directly with the .msu file. Took a couple seconds.
    I refreshed Windows Update but nothing.

Any tips? Getting frustrated!

12. Fafhrd Win User
    Reboot after update, no 3rd party antivirus running, MSE and Defender only, and check for new updates advertising themselves in windows update, or check for updates. Did you do the chipset update check, and update drivers if needed?
    Media Creation tool - to create windows.iso - It does a check on your system to make sure it can run with the hardware and that you are all genuine etc

Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums.

You could PM me with a copy of Panther folder from that $windows.~WS it creates, and I'll look over it in the morning, but I must sleep now.

Fafhrd, Jul 30, 2015
  13. bobkn Win User

I just noticed something odd.

Are you really running a 32 bit version of Windows 7 on a PC with 8GB of RAM? That'd be highly unusual.

bobkn, Jul 30, 2015
  14. Yes, this is true. I have gotten a new HDD because the old one was corrupt. I only have 32-bit Window upgrade versions. I only had these versions from another laptop. I didn't want to buy new versions of Windows 98, Windows XP, and Windows 7 that were all 64-bit. So I was stuck with doing it all in 32-bit. My second partition/system has 64-bit Windows 7. I use that for my gaming. My current partition is 32-bit, just for everyday stuff (it's the family PC). I am trying out Windows 10 on here, not on my gaming partition, so I can see how it is like...
    When I bought this computer, it came with Windows 7 64-bit on it. I didn't use any restore CD's on this new partition (I think I lost it, or some other reason...)

Anyways, I did get a Windows 10 32-bit ISO file downloaded. It installs partially, but then says:

"You can't install Windows 10 because your processor doesn't support NX"

// On the side //
    Should I upgrade BIOS? I have:
    American Megatrends Inc.
    Version 0214
    Date: 11/12/2009

15. Fafhrd Win User
    In this post error true or not - Windows 10 Forums I gave a link to the ASUSTEK download page.

Yes you have the first release BIOS, it can be upgraded.
    Make sure that you check that post above (and that it is for your exact system), the manual, and that the AI tool is available for you to make it easy to upgrade any system software that may be outdated, if that is within its function.

You need to be your own expert on this, and confident - panic is the worst enemy - if you are well prepared, nothing is likely to fail.

Make necessary backups first.

Fafhrd, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

1. "The CPU isn't supported" error true or not - Similar Threads - CPU isn't supported

2. Why isn't my cpu supported for Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why isn't my cpu supported for Windows 11?: My CPU Intel Pentium Gold 4415U doesn't appear to be supported for Windows 11, yet what appears to be a very similar CPU Intel Pentium Gold 4417U is? Will mine work if the other one is supported, or is that too risky to try? Is there any way to verify before installing?...
  3. Why isn't my cpu supported for Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why isn't my cpu supported for Windows 11?: My CPU Intel Pentium Gold 4415U doesn't appear to be supported for Windows 11, yet what appears to be a very similar CPU Intel Pentium Gold 4417U is? Will mine work if the other one is supported, or is that too risky to try? Is there any way to verify before installing?...
  4. My CPU isn't currently supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My CPU isn't currently supported: HI, I have a Inter Core i7-4771 CPU @350 GHz, in the future my processor is going to be supported for update to Windows 11?.Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cpu-isnt-currently-supported/48b4082e-a383-4957-8150-be25a929b4fc
  5. My CPU isn't currently supported

My CPU isn't currently supported: HI, I have a Inter Core i7-4771 CPU @350 GHz, in the future my processor is going to be supported for update to Windows 11?.Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cpu-isnt-currently-supported/48b4082e-a383-4957-8150-be25a929b4fc
  6. cpu not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cpu not supported: I have a i7 6700HQ cpu, why is it not supported for windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-not-supported/65c8516c-d001-49a7-bec1-8538c172b2ff
  7. cpu not supported

cpu not supported: I have a i7 6700HQ cpu, why is it not supported for windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-not-supported/65c8516c-d001-49a7-bec1-8538c172b2ff
  8. CPU Not Supported

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU Not Supported: Have Windows 7 sp1 and Windows 10 Build 10240 in dual boot. On trying to upgrade windows 7, error message: Your CPU is not supported. Have Intel Core2duo E7500 @ 2.93 ghz. Coreinfo utility says all NX, PAE & SSE2 are supported and enabled. Window 10 preview has all along...
  9. CPU Support

CPU Support: Hi all I was wondering if there is a list of CPUs supported by Win 10? I am currently running two desktops one with a Dual Core Pentium @ 2ghz and a Core Duo E8400 @ 3 Ghz. They both run Win 8.1 fine but was wondering if 10 will support them. I know min requirements are 1...
  10. "CPU isn't supported"

"CPU isn't supported": Hey gang i have a friend who got this message "CPU isn't supported" when they tried to upgrade to W10. We tried the Media Creation Tool and it came back with "You can't install Windows 10 because your processor doesn't support CompareExchange128". So where do i send her from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the boot manager failed due to the cpu not supporting the pae feture

2. nu vot