Windows 10: The Disappearing Icon

Discus and support The Disappearing Icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is an unusual problem. I'm in the process of reinstalling applications onto my C: drive that were initially installed on another drive. They... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by riqrat, Dec 18, 2016.

1. riqrat Win User

The Disappearing Icon

This is an unusual problem.

I'm in the process of reinstalling applications onto my C: drive that were initially installed on another drive.

They create an icon onto my Desktop.

I then drag those icons into a Folder called Utilities.

Once I do that, the icon turns generic (like a white sheet of paper) rather than the apps icon.

Any ideas why?

** Just noted: If I move it back to the desktop, the icon comes back. Wha???

*** Additional info: I just noticed that the icon shows up in LIST, DETAILS, CONTENT or SMALL ICONS view. They do not show in TILES, MEDIUM ICONS, LARGE ICONS or EXTRA LARGE ICONS views.

Something is wrong with some of my folder views!

:)

riqrat, Dec 18, 2016

2. Why does the power icon KEEP DISAPPEARING from the taskbar?

OK - this did restore the power icon, at least for now. Thanks. I will keep a closer eye on what seems to precede its disappearance ... assuming it will likely happen again.

HeatherThiessen, Dec 18, 2016
  3. Why does the power icon KEEP DISAPPEARING from the taskbar?

Alright. Let me first suggest running this to restore it back to view:
    Enable Power Icon.reg
    (this utility comes from SevenForums.com (ran by another great MVP that happens to be named Shawn) but works
    on Windows 10 as well.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Dec 18, 2016
  4. The Disappearing Icon

You can restore your "Views" by opening File Explorer, click on View, click on option in the Ribbon. If ribbon not showing click on little chevron beside the question mark in upper right corner.

Brink wrote an excellent tutorial found here https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Addition If you think it might be something in the way Windows is handling the dragging, could I suggest you right click on the desktop icon and click on properties. Then open your utilities folder, right click in clear area and then left click on "New". Click on new shortcut. Cut and paste properties from Desktop Icon to shortcut you are creating.

Caledon Ken, Dec 18, 2016
  5. riqrat Win User
    Thanks for your suggestions. I've gone the options route via View to no avail. I've also created a new shortcut and edited the Properties with the info (cut n paste) from the one on my desktop.

No go.

Three apps still don't show icons while the others do and I can't figure out why.

The Disappearing Icon [​IMG]

riqrat, Dec 18, 2016
  6. You may wish to visit the Icon Cache rebuild tutorial although the fact that they show on desktop and in certain views, I believe you said small icons they worked, would likely mean it is not something as simple as the rebuild. There is a problem like yours in the Seven forums in which Brink suggested the rebuild. In one case the Shortcut icon only appear in Large view.

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/rebuild-icon-cache-in-windows-10.7636/

Likely you've seen a number of icon issues within this portion of the forum and the rebuild has done nothing to resolve.

If I could ask another question, on the shortcut tab, within properties, for one of the blank icons, if you click on Change Icon is the proper path showing to the program exe. Like in MBAM's case is the path c:\Program Files(x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe (This is my path, yours could be different)

Caledon Ken, Dec 18, 2016
  7. riqrat Win User
    Yes, they are pointing to the correct file. And when you go to properties, it shows the icon in the upper left corner. It's just odd that it won't show in the Explorer window for those non-list views.

riqrat, Dec 19, 2016
  8. The Disappearing Icon

Really strange. My ideas have run there course. My ideas have been exhausted. In that seven thread their issue was fixed with rebuild. If yo ever decide to do that please post results. More information the better.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

The Disappearing Icon

1. The Disappearing Icon - Similar Threads - Disappearing Icon

2. Icons in the Taskbar disappear after awaking the PC from Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons in the Taskbar disappear after awaking the PC from Sleep: Some or All icons in the taskbar disappear after waking PC from Sleep, or when the screen of the laptop was put down and was turned back up.This happens in more than 1 PC I own. And this happens in both laptop and desktop, and with OEM and Retail version of Windows 11.How to...
  3. Icons in the Taskbar disappear after awaking the PC from Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons in the Taskbar disappear after awaking the PC from Sleep: Some or All icons in the taskbar disappear after waking PC from Sleep, or when the screen of the laptop was put down and was turned back up.This happens in more than 1 PC I own. And this happens in both laptop and desktop, and with OEM and Retail version of Windows 11.How to...
  4. Windows beeping - Icon in taskbar showing up and disappearing

Windows beeping - Icon in taskbar showing up and disappearing: I am running a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 on Windows 11 Pro. Every 2 - 3 minutes I get a beeping noise and the icon shown in attached photo shows up for split second. I had to capture with a video and take screenshot. I'm not familiar with this icon and the beeping noises are...
  5. Windows beeping - Icon in taskbar showing up and disappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows beeping - Icon in taskbar showing up and disappearing: I am running a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 on Windows 11 Pro. Every 2 - 3 minutes I get a beeping noise and the icon shown in attached photo shows up for split second. I had to capture with a video and take screenshot. I'm not familiar with this icon and the beeping noises are...
  6. Disappearing letters and Windows icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disappearing letters and Windows icons: HiI recently got this Inspiron 5570 with Win 10 64Bit 8GB RAM, from around 2018, reset it, installed all available Windows Updates and Dell drivers & software via SupportAssist. Before that, I changed to a 120GB SSD as it was considerably faster than the original HDD. After a...
  7. Disappearing letters and Windows icons

Disappearing letters and Windows icons: HiI recently got this Inspiron 5570 with Win 10 64Bit 8GB RAM, from around 2018, reset it, installed all available Windows Updates and Dell drivers & software via SupportAssist. Before that, I changed to a 120GB SSD as it was considerably faster than the original HDD. After a...
  8. I deleted a file but the icon of file still apear. How can I make this icon disappear?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I deleted a file but the icon of file still apear. How can I make this icon disappear?: Hi to all!I deleted a file but the icon of file still apear. When I try to delete again I received the following message: "Could not find this item" but it still there.How can I make this icon disappear?Thank you!...
  9. I deleted a file but the icon of file still apear. How can I make this icon disappear?

I deleted a file but the icon of file still apear. How can I make this icon disappear?: Hi to all!I deleted a file but the icon of file still apear. When I try to delete again I received the following message: "Could not find this item" but it still there.How can I make this icon disappear?Thank you!...
  10. Recycle Bin disappeared. I have it enabled in the personalization > Themes > Desktop Icon...

Recycle Bin disappeared. I have it enabled in the personalization > Themes > Desktop Icon...: Recycle Bin disappeared on my desktop. I have it enabled in the personalization > Themes > Desktop Icon Settings. The other icons are present, i.e. Network, This PC.I accidentally dragged the icon off my right monitor to the left, but it does not appear on my left monitor. I...