Windows 10: "The disk you specified is not valid." message from diskpart

Discus and support "The disk you specified is not valid." message from diskpart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have this drive that I wanted to reformat, simple operation, but somehow it did not complete. After that, the drive was no longer visible in MiniTool... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by x509, Mar 30, 2018.

1. x509 Win User

"The disk you specified is not valid." message from diskpart

I have this drive that I wanted to reformat, simple operation, but somehow it did not complete. After that, the drive was no longer visible in MiniTool Partition manager or the Disk Management part of Administrative tools. So I thought *Sick that I could use diskpart and then clean the problem drive. No such luck.

The drive is in an external case with USB 3. When I plug the USB cable into my system, I get a"new device connected" sound from windows and then a "device remove" sound about a second later. This cycle repeats itself many times, and disdkpart never actually sees that drive.

Here is a diskpart screenshot. Disks 0 through 3 are in normal use on my Windows 10 desktop. The problem drive would be drive 4.

"The disk you specified is not valid." message from diskpart [​IMG]

So my question is, is there any way to "zap" the drive? I can hear the drive spinning and making some clicking noises, which I assume is the sound of the head assembly moving back and forth.

Or is this drive hosed? (1 TB 2.5" HGST.)

:)

2. MarcX89 Win User

Hard disk not recognize - default boot device missing

Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

DISKPART> list disk

There are no fixed disks to show

DISKPART> sel disk 0

The disk you specified is not valid

There is no disk selected

MarcX89, Mar 30, 2018
  3. Hard disk not recognize - default boot device missing

i have this same error

Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

DISKPART> list disk

There are no fixed disks to show

DISKPART> sel disk 0

The disk you specified is not valid

There is no disk selected

But on Surface Pro

how to do ?

tanks

robyplanet, Mar 30, 2018
  4. spunk Win User

Take the Disk out of the Enclosure, the USB controller inside the enclosure may be failing, or not getting enough power.
    Attach the drive directly to a desktop motherboard. Boot into Setup (Bios) if the drive is viewable in the Bios, then Diskpart and Disk Management will see the drive and you can Initialize and create a new Simple Volume/Partition and Format it etc.

spunk, Mar 31, 2018
  5. x509 Win User
    Drive worked normally in a different enclosure and connected to a different system. After some trial and error, the problem turned out to be a failing or failed USB 3 port connected to the motherboard. The drive wasn't getting enough power through the USB cable, which was the apparent cause of the connect-disconnect sounds I mentioned in the first message in this thread.

x509, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "The disk you specified is not valid." message from diskpart - Similar Threads - disk specified valid

2. "The file name you specified is not valid or too long" windows explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "The file name you specified is not valid or too long" windows explorer: * Previous thread: file name too long for mapping a network drive error While mapping network drive it is showing Path is too long or exceed limit * Moved from Windows/Other...
  3. "The file name you specified is not valid or too long" windows explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "The file name you specified is not valid or too long" windows explorer: While mapping network drive it is showing Path is too long or exceed limit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-file-name-you-specified-is-not-valid-or-too/87ffda29-57fa-4812-b404-5154beb3a568
  4. "The file name you specified is not valid or too long" windows explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "The file name you specified is not valid or too long" windows explorer: While mapping network drive it is showing Path is too long or exceed limit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-file-name-you-specified-is-not-valid-or-too/87ffda29-57fa-4812-b404-5154beb3a568
  5. The disk you specified is not valid. There is no disk selected.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The disk you specified is not valid. There is no disk selected.: Trying to create bootable USB, but cprompt keeps saying: "The disk you specified is not valid. There is no disk selected." All USB ports are working, USB is brand new, partition manager says it's 100% ready. Re-formatted it from FAT32 to NTFS, just to see if that might help...
  6. The disk you specified is not valid. There is no disk selected.

The disk you specified is not valid. There is no disk selected.: Trying to create bootable USB, but cprompt keeps saying: "The disk you specified is not valid. There is no disk selected." All USB ports are working, USB is brand new, partition manager says it's 100% ready. Re-formatted it from FAT32 to NTFS, just to see if that might help...
  7. The disk you specified is not valid. There is no disk selected.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Task Scheduler Message "One or more of the specified arguments are not valid"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler Message "One or more of the specified arguments are not valid": Seriously, it's really like dealing with a retarded five-year-old child sometimes.In what universe are "one or more of the specified arguments are not valid" when I change the time with which a BAT file is executed?I set it up to execute every day at 5pm, having changed this...
  9. Task Scheduler Message "One or more of the specified arguments are not valid"

Task Scheduler Message "One or more of the specified arguments are not valid": Seriously, it's really like dealing with a retarded five-year-old child sometimes.In what universe are "one or more of the specified arguments are not valid" when I change the time with which a BAT file is executed?I set it up to execute every day at 5pm, having changed this...
  10. Diskpart Virtual Disk Service error, The specified disk is not convertible

in Windows 10 News
    Diskpart Virtual Disk Service error, The specified disk is not convertible: [ATTACH]If you are a Windows 11/10 user, you probably know that you can convert an MBR disk into a GPT one via the Disk Management Console or the Diskpart utility. Both Master Boot Record (MBR) and GUID Partition Table (GPT) are the partition styles for a hard disk. The GPT...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the disk you specified is not valid

2. diskpart the disk you specified is not valid

3. diskpart the disk you selected is not valid

4. the specified device not a valid disk,
  5. ITS SAYING THE DISK IS SELECTED IS NOT VALID,
  6. the disk specified is not valid,
  7. the disk you specified is not valid pen drive error,
  8. the disk you specified is not valid.,
  9. the disk is not valid,
  10. disk part The disk you specified is not valid,
  11. thw disk you soecified is not valid,