Windows 10: "The environment is incorrect." error when trying to run an executable

Discus and support "The environment is incorrect." error when trying to run an executable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a desktop computer that was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro. When I try to run CMD as Administrator, I receive "The environment is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rmk9785e, Nov 2, 2016.

1. rmk9785e Win User

"The environment is incorrect." error when trying to run an executable

I have a desktop computer that was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro. When I try to run CMD as Administrator, I receive "The environment is incorrect." error message. I get the same error if I try to run other Windows applications (in Windows\System32).
    Update: It looks like I have bigger problems. I am in the Administrators group but cannot run any application requiring elevated privileges. When I try to run the CMD (Admin) using Power Users menu, I receive "This file does not have a program associate with it ..." (image attached). I can't run SFC or DISM to repair my installation either because it tells me I need to be an Administrator. Should my query be moved to Installation sub-forum?
    Thanks.

"The environment is incorrect." error when trying to run an executable [​IMG]

:)

rmk9785e, Nov 2, 2016

2. Command prompt Administrator issue under Win 10

I cannot run anything as an administrator. I keep getting "The environment is incorrect" error no mattter how I try to do it or which program I try to run as administrator.

RobertSwinson, Nov 2, 2016
  3. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Nov 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you don't have disk images previously created which you could use to restore your PC to a previously working state (we strongly and repeatedly recommend the use of disk imaging to protect your PC, your data and your sanity) e.g. Macrium reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage - or an appropriate system restore point, then I would suggest you might try an in-place upgrade repair install.

Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

(As you can't use admin mode you would need to run chkdsk offline - e.g. from a command prompt outside windows)
    chkdsk x: /F
    - where x is the appropriate drive letter (not necessarily C)
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).

Recommendation:
    Before you perform the following major repair procedure, do create a disk image (see below).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    - this includes a link from which you can obtain Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a bootable medium.

I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
    - for any future in-place upgrade repair install
    - to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
    - to clean install Windows

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - no personal data should be affected
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Nov 3, 2016
Thema:

1. "The environment is incorrect." error when trying to run an executable - Similar Threads - environment incorrect error

2. Error 0x0000022 when running executable from a NAS.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x0000022 when running executable from a NAS.: So, I have a NAS running truenas scale, which basically is an old repurposed windows vista 2TB PC. I use it to store some games and files, and everything works fine. A few days ago I wanted to install Microsoft flight simulator on my NAS, since my laptop has low storage for...
  3. Error 0x0000022 when running executable from a NAS.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 0x0000022 when running executable from a NAS.: So, I have a NAS running truenas scale, which basically is an old repurposed windows vista 2TB PC. I use it to store some games and files, and everything works fine. A few days ago I wanted to install Microsoft flight simulator on my NAS, since my laptop has low storage for...
  4. Error when trying to run MSERT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error when trying to run MSERT: A few days ago I tried to run MSERT 64-bit version. I immediately got an error message. I just downloaded the current version, and I still get the same error message. How can I fix this?...
  5. Error when trying to run MSERT

Error when trying to run MSERT: A few days ago I tried to run MSERT 64-bit version. I immediately got an error message. I just downloaded the current version, and I still get the same error message. How can I fix this?...
  6. Error when trying to run MSERT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. 0x00007b error when trying to run a game.

0x00007b error when trying to run a game.: This is a new laptop, I installed Epicgames and downloaded GTA 5. I first got an error that 'msvcp140.dll is missing', then I got a 'vscruntime140.dll is missing', fixed both by downloading the DLLs for my 64 bit pc and putting them in the game folder. Now I get a '0x00007b'...
  8. Recovery Environment Password Incorrect

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recovery Environment Password Incorrect: Hello all, For the past few weeks I've been having issues with booting my Asus laptop. There has been a few ongoing problems with drivers and windows update. But thats another story. Ultimately I'm in the recovery environment trying to refresh the windows install on my...
  9. Error "Server execution failed" when trying to run bash command in Windows 10 (Version...

Error "Server execution failed" when trying to run bash command in Windows 10 (Version...: As the title says, when I try to run the "bash" command, I get an error saying, "Server execution failed". I got this problem after I ran the "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade -y" commands during my last successful run of the WSL and then exiting out of it...
  10. Error when trying to run update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error when trying to run update: I have Windows 10 pro ... Keep getting can not connect to update service. I am connected to interet and ran troubleshooting .... same result https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-when-trying-to-run-update/fe646a9c-3f5b-4218-9d97-aca8059b99b1

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the environment is incorrect windows 10

2. 0x-2147024886 the environment is incorrect