Windows 10: The File System in Windows 10

Discus and support The File System in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was just wondering whether there has been any mention of updates for NTFS. I remember some time ago they were thinking of changing away from NTFS but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by swarfega, Jun 16, 2015.

1. swarfega Win User

The File System in Windows 10

I was just wondering whether there has been any mention of updates for NTFS. I remember some time ago they were thinking of changing away from NTFS but that never happened.

So do we know if NTFS has been changed/modified in any way for Windows 10?

:)

swarfega, Jun 16, 2015

2. Cannot open file. The system cannot find the file specified.

Hi Laine,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better:

1. Do you have any external devices connected to the PC?

2. Are you facing this issue on a local account or the MSA?

3. Is the issue specific with the mediatek file?

As of now, let's try to perform a clean boot and check, if it works. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Disclaimer: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

Please feel free to contact us with more information, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Jun 16, 2015
  3. Cannot open file. The system cannot find the file specified.

Can anyone help me with this? Everytime I turn on my laptop this always pop up. And I really don't know how to solve this.

The File System in Windows 10 [​IMG]

laine marie dulanas, Jun 16, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

I haven't noticed any change from NTFS on my computers. I've not heard of any possible change but with drive sizes getting larger I wouldn't be surprised if change were coming.

Berton, Jun 17, 2015
  5. swarfega Win User
    I have a 3tb drive and had to use gpt instead of mbr for it.

swarfega, Jun 17, 2015
  6. bromanbro Win User
    Always been that way. MBR is limited to 2TB. my 2.5TB drive was defaulted to MBR...so I only had access to 2TB.

Doubt there's been much besides stability improvements.

bromanbro, Jun 17, 2015
  7. swarfega Win User
    I'm kinda guessing here but if you did an upgrade to Windows 10 your file system would remain the same, whereas if you did a clean install they'd use any newer one.

swarfega, Jun 17, 2015
  8. LMiller7 Win User

There have probably been minor changes to the NTFS code but I doubt there there has been any significant changes to the on disk structure. Changes to the latter have potential compatibility issues and would not be made lightly.

LMiller7, Jun 17, 2015
  9. Fragment Win User
    Nah. lol.

NTFS format is v3.1 since 2001 with no changes.
    The only thing you can change is how the OS handles the file system.
    There are no structural changes to a file system itself unless you name it NTFS2 and it is a different file system then.

The last change was txf introduced with vista. And maybe oplocks, but they dont really count because they are basically separated from the file system type. Most changes concerning NTFS are operating system features... like efs for example or oplocks, txf...
    You don't change NTFS itself for that to work.

Fragment, Jun 17, 2015
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    jimbo45, Jun 17, 2015
  11. Mystere Win User
    Microsoft hasn't contemplated moving away from NTFS since before Vista, which was at that time a project known as Object File System. There is the new ReFS, but this isn't a filesystem you can boot from, so that will not replace NTFS anytime soon.

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. The File System in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - File System

2. Recycle Bin - deleted File pops up when a new user logs into a Windows 10 system...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recycle Bin - deleted File pops up when a new user logs into a Windows 10 system...: Was wondering anyone knew how to get rid of this pop-up and or narrow down how to stop this from happening?Was unable to get image to post here but reads:----------------------------------------------------------------Delete File Pop-up WindowAre you sure you want to move...
  3. Recycle Bin - deleted File pops up when a new user logs into a Windows 10 system...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recycle Bin - deleted File pops up when a new user logs into a Windows 10 system...: Was wondering anyone knew how to get rid of this pop-up and or narrow down how to stop this from happening?Was unable to get image to post here but reads:----------------------------------------------------------------Delete File Pop-up WindowAre you sure you want to move...
  4. Recycle Bin - deleted File pops up when a new user logs into a Windows 10 system...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. System Drive is being labeled in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Drive is being labeled in File Explorer?: So i just recently cloned my ssd to another one and now there is a system drive labeled as F in my file explore and i get denied acess to it. I have tried to use diskpart to remove the letter but it only does is temporaily beacause as soon as i restart my computer its back to...
  6. System Drive is being labeled in File Explorer?

System Drive is being labeled in File Explorer?: So i just recently cloned my ssd to another one and now there is a system drive labeled as F in my file explore and i get denied acess to it. I have tried to use diskpart to remove the letter but it only does is temporaily beacause as soon as i restart my computer its back to...
  7. System Drive is being labeled in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. The system cannot find the file specified

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The system cannot find the file specified: I'm currently running windows 10, i just drag and drop logonui.exe to Resource Hacker, but a error saying like in the title, i attached a photo for more information...
  9. The system cannot find the file specified

The system cannot find the file specified: I'm currently running windows 10, i just drag and drop logonui.exe to Resource Hacker, but a error saying like in the title, i attached a photo for more information...
  10. The system cannot find the file specified

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging