Windows 10: The first of a few questions regarding installing W10.

Discus and support The first of a few questions regarding installing W10. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What needs completed: Remove Ubuntu 16.0.4 Install W10. Reinstall Ubuntu dual boot. First problem: Can not get into bios to change settings to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dlw1146, Jun 14, 2017.

1. dlw1146 Win User

The first of a few questions regarding installing W10.

What needs completed:
    Remove Ubuntu 16.0.4 Install W10. Reinstall Ubuntu dual boot.

First problem:
    Can not get into bios to change settings to boot from W10 DVD.
    The reason is, the HP logo comes and goes to fast.

Any ideas on solving this?

To be continued ater this.

dlw

:)

dlw1146, Jun 14, 2017

2. A few questions regarding N95

** I'm seeing pictures in the gallery that are in installed applications on my SD card. Right now i'm seeing POI places of TomTom.

Is there a way to exclude folders from being shown in the gallery?

** I also have a 6300. And when i use voice dialing i get the contacts options like "Office" "Home" "Mobile". With the N95 it automatically dials the default number and i cannot choose. ( btw...How do i switch from office to home etc. using voice commands ?)

tranzy---01, Jun 14, 2017
  3. A Few Questions Regarding N97

well it could be both, UK has not gotten their release yet. chances are that once that comes out you will get it too. but i did hear that the cpw codes sometimes get it even later then the general UK codes despite the fact that they are unlocked/unbranded.
    hope this helps. all you can do is wait a bit longer. sorry mate.

radical24---01, Jun 14, 2017
  4. Rocky Win User

If you really want, you do not need to remove Ubuntu first. I dual boot and I don't usually remove my Linux installation before I install Windows. The choice is up to you.

You have to just repeatedly and rapidly push the delete button, or whatever button your system recognizes. I had an HP once that I had to just very quickly and rapidly press the F8 button as fast and as often as I could.

Rocky, Jun 14, 2017
  5. Rocky Win User
    A couple of questions come to mind. What is your partitioning scheme now? Do you have just Ubuntu on your system? How many hard drives do you have? What are your system specs? Can your system handle Windows 10?

Rocky, Jun 14, 2017
  6. Rocky Win User
    Do you have a fresh ISO image of Windows 10, the creators update, version 1703? Do you want to continue to dual boot? Are you happy with Ubuntu 16.04 or do you intend to update to 17.04?

Rocky, Jun 14, 2017
  7. dlw1146 Win User
    My box is an HP Envy 750, i7, 24gb ram, 500gb SSD, 2 X 1tb HD's, 1 X 250gb external HD.
    Typing F10 repeatedly as fast as possible isn't fast enough. There is only a split second.
    I prefer Ubuntu and only use LTS's. Need W10 for 3D modeling.
    Want to reformat the SSD for W10. It's currently fomated Linux as are the other HD's.

I am a user only.

Thanks for replying.

dlw1146, Jun 14, 2017
  8. Rocky Win User

Then do not remove your Ubuntu installation. From Ubuntu you can use GParted to make sure that your partitions are ready for Windows 10 and then create a bootable USB stick using the newest ISO image of Windows 10 (the Creators update, version 1703). After that unplug the USB stick and re-plug it back it back in and the re-start your system using the restart function in Ubuntu. This should get your system to automatically boot from the USB stick or get the system to go into your BIOS.

Rocky, Jun 14, 2017
  9. Rocky Win User
    What drive is your Ubuntu on? You said that all of your hard drives are formatted Linux, what does this mean? I run Linux and all of my drives except SDA1 is formatted Windows, NTFS.

Rocky, Jun 14, 2017
  10. Rocky Win User
    What is the output when you use Ubuntu and enter the following command in the terminal?

sudo parted -l

Rocky, Jun 15, 2017
  11. Rocky Win User
    Rocky, Jun 15, 2017
  12. dlw1146 Win User
    Using the GRUB menu you can easily enter into your BIOS.

How is the grub menu opened?

dlw1146, Jun 15, 2017
  13. The first of a few questions regarding installing W10.

During boot,use the Pause/Break key to stop on a particular page.

joeandmarg0, Jun 15, 2017
  14. Rocky Win User
    You do not open the GRUB menu, it is a separate partition that boots up automatically when you turn on your computer.

Rocky, Jun 15, 2017
  15. dlw1146 Win User
    When booting up, the HP logo comes on and goes off so quickly, no key can be pressed quickly enough to get into the bios. Supergirl couldn't even do it. If pressing any key prior to the HP logo appearing, nothing happens. You stare at a black screen forever.

When Ubuntu is up and running, gparted shows all settings. Changes can not be made due to all the HD's are running. See the following:

don@don-750:~$ sudo parted -l
    [sudo] password for don:
    Model: ATA SanDisk SD7SB2Q- (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 512GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: gpt
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
    1 1049kB 538MB 537MB fat32 EFI System Partition boot, esp
    2 538MB 486GB 486GB ext4 legacy_boot
    3 486GB 512GB 25.7GB linux-swap(v1)

Model: ATA Hitachi HUA72101 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 1049kB 994GB 994GB primary ext4
    3 994GB 1000GB 6363MB extended lba

Model: ATA Hitachi HDS72101 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdc: 1000GB
    Disk Flags:

1 1049kB 1000GB 1000GB primary ext4

Model: Maxtor OneTouch (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sde: 250GB
    Disk Flags:

1 1049kB 172GB 172GB primary ext4
    2 172GB 250GB 78.0GB extended
    5 224GB 250GB 25.7GB logical linux-swap(v1)

don@don-750:~$

Does anyone have a prybar I can borrow?

dlw1146, Jun 15, 2017
Thema:

1. The first of a few questions regarding installing W10. - Similar Threads - few questions regarding

2. Fresh Windows Install regarding question.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Windows Install regarding question.: In my laptop win11 is already install in HDD, I will install one SSD and use as Dual Storage Configuration. In that SSD I want to fresh install Win11, in this process will I loose my data in HDD, if I do not remove the HDD from Laptop during fresh Windows install?...
  3. Fresh Windows Install regarding question.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Windows Install regarding question.: In my laptop win11 is already install in HDD, I will install one SSD and use as Dual Storage Configuration. In that SSD I want to fresh install Win11, in this process will I loose my data in HDD, if I do not remove the HDD from Laptop during fresh Windows install?...
  4. Quick question regarding a W10 Pro to W11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick question regarding a W10 Pro to W11 upgrade: I have the notification that I can upgrade to W11 22H2 in updates services.I 'm currently running W10 Pro because I utilize Hyper-V.Does the upgrade to W11 22H2 automatically put me on the Pro version or does it dump me to Home?...
  5. Quick question regarding a W10 Pro to W11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick question regarding a W10 Pro to W11 upgrade: I have the notification that I can upgrade to W11 22H2 in updates services.I 'm currently running W10 Pro because I utilize Hyper-V.Does the upgrade to W11 22H2 automatically put me on the Pro version or does it dump me to Home?...
  6. CPU Cooler Changing Noob a Few Questions regarding that

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU Cooler Changing Noob a Few Questions regarding that: Hello as a very very noob for changing CPU coolers, eventually gonna ugprade from my Stock Intel 10700 Cooler, to possibly a Aftermarket Air or if brave enough my very first AIO Cooler lol. 1. Proper way of removing the Stock Intel 10700 Heatsink without pulling the CPU out...
  7. A few clean install questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A few clean install questions: After having way too many problems with upgrading from 1803 to 1903 and trying a reset as well *Banghead I've decided to do a clean install of W10. I have a Macrium Reflect backup if this to proves to be a problem and all my other back ups just in case. I'm all set to go...
  8. Question regarding installation of W10 on a new PC with old drive

Question regarding installation of W10 on a new PC with old drive: Hello, I tried to read up on this topic but there is quite a bit of contradicting information, so I thought I'd better ask myself. So excuse me, I bet there have been threads like mine before but for every answer I read, there was another one stating the opposite. The...
  9. few questions regarding the Windows 10 installation in UEFI mode

few questions regarding the Windows 10 installation in UEFI mode: First of all thanks for the excellent guide. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html I have a few questions regarding the Windows 10 installation in UEFI mode: I read in a couple of websites that for the installation and boot to be in "full" UEFI mode...
  10. A few Brief Questions about W10

in Windows 10 Support
    A few Brief Questions about W10: 1. There is a search bar at the bottom of my computer. It says search the web and windows.......I don't want it there. How do I get rid of it ? 2. What is box ? I clicked it on but it won't open.....should I delete it ? I unpinned the games, groove music, sports,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to remove password for sandisk SD7sB2Q-512G