Windows 10: The folder cannot be shared?

Discus and support The folder cannot be shared? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I try to share a subfolder under My Documents with my homegroup I get an error stating that the folder cannot be shared. How can I fix this.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bazsl, May 1, 2017.

1. Bazsl Win User

The folder cannot be shared?

When I try to share a subfolder under My Documents with my homegroup I get an error stating that the folder cannot be shared. How can I fix this.

FWIW, I can share the folder using Advanced Sharing Options but I cannot share it with the homegroup. Thanks for any suggestions.

:)

Bazsl, May 1, 2017

2. Error: "The folder cannot be moved..."

OK. The fix involves modifying the registry. You can do it yourself or use a downloaded .reg file. Manual instructions and a .reg file can both be found here:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/shell-folders-merged-music-videos-same-folder/

If you use the .reg file, it will folders you have moved to their original location, but will not delete your new folders or move your files. But after merging the .reg file, the Location tab and Move button should allow you to make your desired changes
    without any problems.

Good Luck,

Keith

Keith A. Miller, May 1, 2017
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Error: "The folder cannot be moved..."

Hello Henrik,

Thank you for all the details that you've provided. OneDrive folder can still be accessed once you log in your credentials on the OneDrive app. This might be the reason why you're getting the error "The folder cannot be moved to here - The folder cannot
    be moved, because there is a folder, which cannot be redirected, in the same location. Access denied." For us to assist you better, we'd like to know if you've tried moving the other files and folders of your C drive except the sub folder OneDrive to another
    partition.

Please get back to us with the results.

Xylee Del, May 1, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Everything in the user folder has permission just for that user not even admin has right to it you better sharing outside the users folder

Samuria, May 1, 2017
  5. Bazsl Win User
    I had no problem sharing the Download folder many months ago.
    Even if I am the only one with rights to the folder I should be able to share it and I should be able to see it just as I have with the Downloads folder.

Bazsl, May 1, 2017
  6. Pyprohly Win User
    We are talking about network shares I assume.

I’m unable discern an error message like “the folder cannot be shared”. Would you be able to quote the message exactly or post a screenshot of it?

Pyprohly, May 1, 2017
  7. Bazsl Win User
    I am trying to share the folder with the Homegroup on my home network.

The folder cannot be shared? [​IMG]

Bazsl, May 1, 2017
  8. Pyprohly Win User

So any folder under Documents you try to share yields this message?

I was able to replicate this dialogue after adjusting permissions so I reckon that may be the problem. Post the permission settings of one of the folders you are unable to share and we’ll see if this is indeed the problem.

NTFS Permissions — View and Post

Pyprohly, May 1, 2017
  9. Bazsl Win User
    The folder cannot be shared? [​IMG]

Bazsl, May 1, 2017
  10. Pyprohly Win User
    Hmm, I’m not sure why.

So it’s only the folders under your Documents directory that Windows refuses to create a share for, right?

What happens if you try to create the share through the command line?
    Code: net share MyShare=C:\path\to\folder[/quote] Or PowerShell?
    Code: New-SmbShare -Name MyNewShare -Path C:\path\to\another\folder[/quote]

Pyprohly, May 2, 2017
  11. Bazsl Win User
    Sharing from the command line using net share works as does sharing using Advance Sharing in the properties dialog. It is only sharing with the homegroup that fails.

Bazsl, May 2, 2017
  12. Pyprohly Win User
    I’ve always created shares using Advanced Sharing through the Properties.

Could you elaborate what you mean by “sharing with the homegroup”?

When you set up HomeGroup you create special public shares that anyone in the HomeGroup can access without credentials. These shares are different from those you see when you run net share.

Pyprohly, May 3, 2017
  13. Bazsl Win User

By "sharing with the homegroup" I mean that I right click the folder in Explorer then click Share With on the context menu then click Homegroup (view and edit).

Bazsl, May 3, 2017
  14. Pyprohly Win User
    That’s strange. There’s no reason this should work.

I could find anyone with a similar issue and I’m unsure of what to suggest other than to set up the HomeGroup again to see if the issue fixes itself.

Pyprohly, May 5, 2017
  15. Bazsl Win User
    Ok. Thanks for your help.

Bazsl, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. The folder cannot be shared? - Similar Threads - folder cannot shared

2. cannot share folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot share folder.: I have a new computer running Windows 11 and an old one running Windows 10. I want to move files and folder from the old to the new. I have added the new computer to my home network. I have granted access to "everyone." I have shared folders. The two computers are less than 3...
  3. cannot share folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot share folder.: I have a new computer running Windows 11 and an old one running Windows 10. I want to move files and folder from the old to the new. I have added the new computer to my home network. I have granted access to "everyone." I have shared folders. The two computers are less than 3...
  4. Folder cannot be shared!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder cannot be shared!: I used to be able to connect my laptops and share folders and files using wi fi connection.Now although the folder says that it is shared, in reality it is not. When I try to share it , after few minutes I get this message: your folder cannot be shared! Please *** Email...
  5. Folder cannot be shared!

Folder cannot be shared!: I used to be able to connect my laptops and share folders and files using wi fi connection.Now although the folder says that it is shared, in reality it is not. When I try to share it , after few minutes I get this message: your folder cannot be shared! Please *** Email...
  6. Folder cannot be shared!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. cannot connect sharing folder and printer

cannot connect sharing folder and printer: anyone can help me ?so i have problem with my notebook with include WINDOWS 10 home OSwhen i try to connect things i shared, it always incorrect username and password, - first i make sure, that password, i has input is right- second, i've turn off user and password on advance...
  8. Cannot share a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot share a folder: I spent hours fighting with Windows 10 trying to share a folder for Everyone (i.e. guests, no account, no password) to use. I have set all permissions to Allow, have disabled require password for shares but the damn thing still requires a log in from other computers. What is...
  9. Computer cannot see the shared folders

Computer cannot see the shared folders: My laptop runs Windows 10---1809 which cannot see the shared folders. I believe this problem has appeared since the last Windows update. I checked the Advanced sharing settings and verified the SMB1 protocol, everything looks ok...
  10. Cannot stop sharing a folder on Network

Cannot stop sharing a folder on Network: Hi forum, I've got a problem in stopping sharing some folders across my home network. Not sure if it matters, but I'm on Windows 10 Pro, running my admin user account. Anyways, I have a folder I want to unshare from my network called Pictures2 which I believe is empty....