Windows 10: The function keys

Discus and support The function keys in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an HP 15ayoo9dx lap top. The Function keys (or action keys as they call them) can be enabled or disabled by going in the BIOS. I’m trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Frank1, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Frank1 Win User

The function keys

I have an HP 15ayoo9dx lap top. The Function keys (or action keys as they call them) can be enabled or disabled by going in the BIOS. I’m trying to decide if I want to disable or enable. What is the difference?
    Thank you.

:)

Frank1, Dec 1, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Turn Function Keys Into Multimedia Keys

Check in your BIOS for FN key mode, there may be the option to set the Fn keys to media . . .

DaveM121, Dec 1, 2016
  3. How to use the F function keys

When I use the F-function key all I get is the voice command window for Cortana. How do I get the function keys to work?

SuzannaBriggs, Dec 1, 2016
  4. marsmimar Win User

The function keys

I think it's really personal preference. I keep my function keys active because they offer me a quick way to adjust speaker volume, change screen brightness, refresh a web page (F5 on most keyboards) and several other one-click options. I don't use the function keys every time I sit down at the computer, but I like having them available.

marsmimar, Dec 1, 2016
  5. Disabled, you have to press the Fn and the F key for the special function you want, like volume up down.

Enabled, you only have to press the F key to get the special function. But to get the original F8 key function etc, you have to press the Fn and the F key.

alphanumeric, Dec 1, 2016
  6. Frank1 Win User
    I think I'll keep them enabled

Frank1, Dec 1, 2016
  7. marsmimar Win User
    As far as I know, keeping the function keys enabled doesn't use up any additional computer resources. If you find that your existing function keys aren't serving any useful purpose, you might consider customizing those keys into your own personalized "hotkeys" or keyboard shortcuts. Here's an article that explains more:

How to Add New Custom Hotkeys to Windows 10

marsmimar, Dec 1, 2016
  8. The function keys

As far as I know its no different than pressing the caps lock or num lock key. My BIOS doesn't have the option to enable them or I would.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

The function keys

1. The function keys - Similar Threads - function keys

2. I can't make the functions keys work with AutoCAD. There doesn't seem to be a way to get...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't make the functions keys work with AutoCAD. There doesn't seem to be a way to get...: I can't make the functions keys work with AutoCAD. There doesn't seem to be a way to get them to recognize the AutoCAD functions such as ortho or snap. I'v spent all day trying to hit the fn and escape keys at the same time and it never changes the result. Some solutions are...
  3. I can't make the functions keys work with AutoCAD. There doesn't seem to be a way to get...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't make the functions keys work with AutoCAD. There doesn't seem to be a way to get...: I can't make the functions keys work with AutoCAD. There doesn't seem to be a way to get them to recognize the AutoCAD functions such as ortho or snap. I'v spent all day trying to hit the fn and escape keys at the same time and it never changes the result. Some solutions are...
  4. Function Keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Function Keys: I'm having problems with keyboard function keys not working. I get round this by uninstalling keyboard in device manager and restarting computer. This works but it doesn't take long before the function keys stop working again and I have to repeat the process mentioned before....
  5. Function Keys

Function Keys: I'm having problems with keyboard function keys not working. I get round this by uninstalling keyboard in device manager and restarting computer. This works but it doesn't take long before the function keys stop working again and I have to repeat the process mentioned before....
  6. Function Keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Why have my function keys changed?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why have my function keys changed?: Recently I've been having problems with my Fn keys with my keyboard I'm using a PC with windows 10.Both today and yesterday my Fn keys have changed to what I believe to be the keyboard manufacturers settings rather than the default windows settings, i.e. F11 no longer goes...
  8. Left shift and ctrl keys, and click and drag function working intermittently.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left shift and ctrl keys, and click and drag function working intermittently.: My left shift key and left ctrl keys only work for a fraction of a second.If I hold down the left shift key to capitalise a word, I barely get the first letter to capitalise I need to be quick and subsequent letters have no chance.The same goes for the left ctrl key. I need...
  9. Left shift and ctrl keys, and click and drag function working intermittently.

Left shift and ctrl keys, and click and drag function working intermittently.: My left shift key and left ctrl keys only work for a fraction of a second.If I hold down the left shift key to capitalise a word, I barely get the first letter to capitalise I need to be quick and subsequent letters have no chance.The same goes for the left ctrl key. I need...
  10. Only able to use function keys F3 to F6

Only able to use function keys F3 to F6: I've recently encountered an unusual issue with my Keychron K8 keyboard on a Windows 11 system. For some reason, I am only able to use the F3 to F6 function keys directly. To use the rest of the function keys F1, F2, F7-F12, I need to press them in combination with another...