Windows 10: The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there

Discus and support The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i had this issue before and I reset the computer and got it all back and when I turned on the computer this morning the icons were missing and just the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MaggieAnn, Dec 20, 2015.

1. MaggieAnn Win User

The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there

i had this issue before and I reset the computer and got it all back and when I turned on the computer this morning the icons were missing and just the names of them were there. and on the task bar there are icons there but not the ones that fit the names they are like a dll file, then on top of that I tried to go into properties and see what was happening there and I cant do that either. I have scanned the computer for viruses and anything else but its all clean, and I really don't want to reset the computer again

:)

MaggieAnn, Dec 20, 2015
  2. Ed1-US Win User

Icon missing from Shortcut in Taskbar

I want to have a shortcut button on the Taskbar to open the Control Panel. I added a Control Panel shortcut to the Desktop and dragged it to the Taskbar. That created a Control Panel button/shortcut on the Taskbar, but the button/shortcut has no icon -
    it is just blank.

I have set the Taskbar setting for "Combine Taskbar buttons" to "Always, hide labels". If I change this setting to show the labels, the label for this Taskbar shortcut includes a small Control Panel icon. But it disappears when the setting is changed back
    to hide labels.

My other buttons/shortcuts in the Taskbar and in the Notification area all have appropriate icons.

How can I get an icon for the Control Panel in the Taskbar? I did have one displaying properly until I reset Windows 10.

Ed1-US, Dec 20, 2015
  3. Desktop icons missing. Text labels are there.

We appreciate your response. Microsoft delivers Windows Defender updates through
    Windows Update, through Automatic Updates, and through
    Windows Server Update Service. There is a possibility that you are getting this error message because of problems with these services instead of with problems with
    Windows Defender.

To address your concern with updating Windows Defender, we suggest that you manually install the update definitions. To do so, follow the detailed steps provided on this
    link.

With regard to your concern with missing icons on your Desktop, since the issue persist with other user profile, we conclude that you are experiencing this issue due to a system file corruption on your computer. To resolve this, we suggest running these
    troubleshooting methods:

Method 1: Run the System
    File Checker
    tool.

It is a utility that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system and restore corrupted files. The link contains further information about how to run the
    System File Checker tool.

Method 2: Run the Deployment
    Image Servicing and Management
    tool.

This tool will automatically repair the components of your Windows operating system, and records the corruptions to the log file. The process generally takes 15-30 minutes depending on the corruption and size
    of the partition.

To run the DISM
    tool, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key+ X,
      then click on Command Prompt (Admin).
      If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Yes.
    • In Command Prompt, type
      DISM /Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth,
      then hit Enter.
    • Once the scan is finished, restart your
      computer.

Note: While
    running the
    DISM tool on your computer, if any bad sectors are found on the system, data loss might occur. We suggest that you backup your files
    before running DISM.

If you'll need further assistance, we are here to help.

Darleen Pen, Dec 20, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Dec 21, 2015
Thema:

1. The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there - Similar Threads - icons desktop disappeared

2. Desktop icons have disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons have disappeared: I restarted my laptop and noticed all my desktop icons have disappeared. Theres also this weird shaded panel at the top of my screen which was never there before. When clicking on the shaded panel, it opens one of the files I had on my desktop.Additionally, when I go to my...
  3. Desktop icons have disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons have disappeared: I restarted my laptop and noticed all my desktop icons have disappeared. Theres also this weird shaded panel at the top of my screen which was never there before. When clicking on the shaded panel, it opens one of the files I had on my desktop.Additionally, when I go to my...
  4. Desktop icon labels have drop shadows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icon labels have drop shadows: This morning, when I turned on my computer, the desktop icon labels have drop shadows. I have had them set to not have that since I got my computer. Last night, I shut down my computer via the power button on the computer. Today, I have drop shadows that I cannot get rid of...
  5. Desktop Icons have disappeared

Desktop Icons have disappeared: All of the icons on my desktop have disappeared. The text for the APPs is there and clickable. All programs appear to work. Also in the FILE EXPLORER even when I have the View marked as show Icons larger, medium etc. they do not show. On the desktop itself I also have it...
  6. Desktop Icon labels

Desktop Icon labels: Desktop Icon labels are shadowed, hard to read. How do I change the font for the icons? I'd prefer a simple Ariel font. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-labels/9c4c706c-65db-4310-834e-ca9ae656f2b4
  7. Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there

in Windows 10 Support
    Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there: I was sorting files for a backup and made the mistake of putting them all on my desktop. Then i opened a movie with VLC and tried to add a subtitle file from my desktop. This failed for some reason without VLC giving an error so i tried again. I dragged the file from my...
  8. Desktop icons have labels but no pic???

Desktop icons have labels but no pic???: Have spent hours trying to resolve this issue but no luck. The picture part of my desktop icons has disappeared. in a folder, file thumbnails show their name/label but no picture. Have already tried the suggested 'canned' methods to repair. Useless....
  9. Desktop Icons Have Disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Have Disappeared: Well, I did something, but cannot find out what it was I dis or how to rectify it. This AM when starting Windows 10 Home, I had no icons on the desktop. Using the file explorer>desktop, they are there, so i did not delete them. Somehow I have hidden them from view. The normal...
  10. Icons gone, labels still there

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons gone, labels still there: Today, I started up my computer and, for some reason, all of the icons for my applications, folders, and all other files were missing, but the names were still there. I also noticed that the icons for my applications in the taskbar were replaced with generic .exe icons....