Windows 10: The icons on my desktop reset everytime I relog

Discus and support The icons on my desktop reset everytime I relog in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to clean up my desktop, but every time I turn my laptop off, and then come back to it, all the icons have reset to the way they were before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PokeOrb, Aug 4, 2015.

1. PokeOrb Win User

The icons on my desktop reset everytime I relog

I'm trying to clean up my desktop, but every time I turn my laptop off, and then come back to it, all the icons have reset to the way they were before I started moving stuff around. Even the change from small to medium icons resets, and I have no idea how to fix this.

:)

PokeOrb, Aug 4, 2015

2. Everytime I refresh my Desktop the icons Auto Arrange

I have the same problem here.

I tried adding new users with a fresh setting, but still the same issue.

ManiAnjomi, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Everytime I refresh my Desktop the icons Auto Arrange

I have the same problem. this started 2 days ago. Does any one know how to solve this issue.

KlejdiNgjela, Aug 4, 2015
  4. Rudy Mas Win User

Something like this is happening to me as well. I change my Icons to small and sometimes, after a reboot, they turn medium again. However, it doesn't happen every time, I have noticed. I haven't found a fix yet.

Rudy Mas, Aug 4, 2015
  5. Mb78 Win User
    Hi,

Google lead me here, i have exactly the same problem. Maybe it's about the graphic drivers?
    Let's find some similarities between our specifications so maybe we can filter the problem.

Mb78, Aug 5, 2015
  6. YOU
    You Win User
  7. Try creating a new Restore Point before you log off. It's only a small PITA.

Florida Rene, Aug 5, 2015
  8. plep Win User

Same problem with me. Icons reset upon restart, and the size switches from small back to medium. Tried a handful of solutions online and so far nothing has worked

plep, Aug 9, 2015
  9. I have same problem too!

StefaTurbo, Aug 11, 2015
  10. Acronis Win User
    Any solution? that linked above not helping

Acronis, Oct 12, 2015
  11. Rudy Mas Win User
    Can anyone else confirm this?

It only happens on systems which have been upgraded and where no clean install has been performed on.

All my clean installs don't have this behavior, and if this wasn't the only problem I had with this system, I would do a clean install, as well. However, for now, I can live with it, because it's only 2 clicks to get the icons to small again.

Also, another thing I noticed, is that the icons grow a little bigger with each restart. *Tongue

Rudy Mas, Oct 12, 2015
  12. Tharieist Win User
    I have the same problem and tried multiple solutions to no avail. My system has been upgraded.

Tharieist, Jul 25, 2016
  13. Steve C Win User

I have a problem with icons moving to the left if you switch between accounts then go back to the original account. Googling the problem suggests it's a bug when using scaling other than 100% which MS needs to fix. I'll try the link in Post 4 which is new to me.

Steve C, Jul 26, 2016
  14. I have this problem to. It has nothing to do with upgrades or clean installs. I have 2 systems, one was an upgrade and never has this problem while the other one is a clean install and has the problem on a regular basis. But I found a work around that seems to be working for me. I have opened up a second desktop. I don't use it for anything and W10 even after a pwr on / restart remembers that second desktop. Since doing that for the last 3 weeks, I've only had one occasion where it scrambled my icons. It happened while I was running Dos Box. I do believe that at the same time windows had downloaded and performed an update of some sort, because I seen the screen flash. It had no effect on the Dos Box application, but when I exited it, all the icons were scrambled on the left side. I've run the Dos Box app at least 20 times, but have not had a failure. I have only had to fix the Icons once over the last 3 weeks. Try it maybe it will work for you.

storageman, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. The icons on my desktop reset everytime I relog - Similar Threads - icons desktop reset

2. BSoD Everytime i reset my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD Everytime i reset my pc: Ive has this laptop for less than a year and i havent had this issue yet. I just updated it to the latest version of windows 11. Ive had to restart my computer a couple times and everytime I restart it gets stuck on the restarting screen for about 5-10 minutes and then goes...
  3. BSoD Everytime i reset my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD Everytime i reset my pc: Ive has this laptop for less than a year and i havent had this issue yet. I just updated it to the latest version of windows 11. Ive had to restart my computer a couple times and everytime I restart it gets stuck on the restarting screen for about 5-10 minutes and then goes...
  4. Everything resets EVERYTIME I restart!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Everything resets EVERYTIME I restart!: Hey all, So the issue is, that one day out of nowhere, without warning, all my settings were wiped out and somehow defaulted to the standard Microsoft build. So that sucked, but all in all it only affected the way the computer looked, didn't really care for it. However,...
  5. Everything resets EVERYTIME I restart!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Everything resets EVERYTIME I restart!: Hey all, So the issue is, that one day out of nowhere, without warning, all my settings were wiped out and somehow defaulted to the standard Microsoft build. So that sucked, but all in all it only affected the way the computer looked, didn't really care for it. However,...
  6. Everything resets EVERYTIME I restart!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Windows 10 Desktop Icons added everytime I reboot.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Desktop Icons added everytime I reboot.: This has been happening for awhile now, so i deleted a bunch of iconsupwards of 25 one day. The next day when i rebooted all the icons came back! I even deleted them and removed everything from the recycle bin and they still come back! Not sure how to go about fixing this so...
  8. How do I reset desktop icons ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I reset desktop icons ?: Ive made custom desktop icons for different games and programs to give more of a flare. Recently made one I didn’t like and want the original back. How do I do this ? For anyone asking what app, its blender. submitted by /u/A_leaning_Tower [link] [comments]...
  9. My desktop icons keep resetting after a reboot.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My desktop icons keep resetting after a reboot.: They keep going back to the same random position. Auto-arrange icons is OFF. It is not an antivirus issue. Anyone know why? submitted by /u/itscharlie378 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h8qqzq/my_desktop_icons_keep_resetting_after_a_reboot/
  10. Desktop Icons Keep Resetting?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Keep Resetting?: First time poster. My body is ready. Basically, every time I re-size my desktop icons to a more comfortable size, and then later reboot. They return to their original chunky size. Could someone shed any light on why it keeps doing this? Tried several fixes from Windows...