Windows 10: The installation failed on the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during

Discus and support The installation failed on the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to upgrade my HP Envy 15 J2E89EA from 8.1 Home to 10 Home but it keeps failing with the above message. It also gives me 0xC1900101 -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bertie11, Oct 30, 2015.

1. bertie11 Win User

The installation failed on the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during

I'm trying to upgrade my HP Envy 15 J2E89EA from 8.1 Home to 10 Home but it keeps failing with the above message. It also gives me 0xC1900101 - 0x40017. I've been using a Win 64 ISO DVD, I did a windows Update check beforehand but it was already up to date.

I've tried disabling Webroot Internet Security and removing all USB devices (I'm using a USB DVD drive to load the files), and removed the LAN cable and turned wireless off.

I suppose I should have removed Webfoot completely, I did see somewhere just to disable it. I didn't have this problem on another laptop that also runs Webroot. Should I remove Bootracer or is that OK to leave?

I'm not sure I want to waste much more time on this, so I'm hoping that someone can come up with a reasonably quick fix! It tries to do an Automatic repair but fails, I tried to do the same again using Win 10 and Win 8.1 options but both fail. At least the Rollback has been working.

Is there any merit in doing an upgrade from within Windows Upgrade (I have the Windows 10 option turned off at the moment) or am I likely to hit the same booting problems? What is likely to be the cause of this?
    Thank you.

:)

bertie11, Oct 30, 2015
  2. FriscoG Win User

windows 10 failed to install

The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during PRE_OOBE operation

FriscoG, Oct 30, 2015
  3. Recuring Error 80072002C-4000D when upgrading to Win10 on a Surface Pro 3

The install failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with error during MIGRATE_DATA operation.

What's next?

Jay Albert, Oct 30, 2015
  4. appluser Win User

Hi, you might try this quick workaround described HERE (other thread).
    In my case nothing would happen beyond a certain point; a "manual" upgrade of older drivers (SATA & PCI-bridge) helped.
    (Sony VAIO sold their PC division to some investor and will NOT support older VAIOs with Win-10.)
    Good luck!

appluser, Nov 1, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    Yes, try upgrading your chipset drivers. This would also install SATA drivers and improve compatibility with Windows 10. If you have a recent model, you can download the latest chipset drivers for Windows 10 directly from Intel. For older chipsets (see driver description and also Release notes) you will need the previous version also available at Intel's site. Also check at Sony's site for any driver specific to SATA controller and install that as well.

spapakons, Nov 1, 2015
  6. bertie11 Win User
    Hi appluser and spapakons, thank for the responses. I checked for driver updates several times and I appear to be up to date as none are being offered to me. My system is an AMD CPU and display card. I'm just running HP updates to see what that shows.
    I also just did a Windows Update error check and it found several errors, not sure what they mean though but they were corrected!
    I checked to make sure that UEFI is enabled and Legacy is disabled. Yes to both.

Next step, I will try removing Webroot completely and have another go!

Re the $Windows.~BT directory, having failed to instal 10 on two occasions am I supposed to delete these folders before I try again?. I'm not really sure if they relate to old 8.1 files or if they are to do with the 10 instal?

Thanks

bertie11, Nov 1, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    Yes, delete the folder so the upgrade will start from the beginning rather than trying to continue from a failed attempt.

spapakons, Nov 1, 2015
  8. bertie11 Win User

Does that mean to include deletion of $Windows.~WS directory as well?

Thanks

bertie11, Nov 1, 2015
  9. appluser Win User
    I am not a driver / Windows guru at all, BUT: Windows' system manager did NOT identify newer drivers for me!

... I let "download.driversupport.com" do the searching (free) then found some newer drivers with "driverscope.com". These made the difference for me.

appluser, Nov 1, 2015
  10. bertie11 Win User
    I mainly use IOBit Advanced System Care which has a Driver Booster program that checks and updates drivers. That mat be why MS isn't coming up with any driver updates.

I will try your suggestion though, just in case something was missed.

Thanks

bertie11, Nov 1, 2015
  11. bertie11 Win User
    OK. Having made doubly sure that all updates were done (they were), this time I uninstalled Webroot completely, deleted the $WS and $BT folders, turned the wi-fi router off completely, and removed all USB except mouse transmitter. So the only things I hadn't done previously were to turn the router off and remove Webroot.
    This time, the upgrade sailed through and I now have Windows 10 working although I'm having to set most things up again to cater for my declining eyesight. The next step is to see if I want to keep it! I've already discovered that Update had disappeared, where is that kept now?

bertie11, Nov 1, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    Click the Start button bottom left and then Settings. Click Update and Security, then Windows Update. Half of the settings have been transferred to the modern Settings app from legacy Control Panel. They even plan to remove Control Panel when they transfer them all. I know, this will be a bad move, but unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it.

spapakons, Nov 1, 2015
  13. bertie11 Win User

OK thanks, got it. I wish they would leave things alone!

I managed to get Win 10 installed. The only things I did were to remove Webroot completely and turned off the router. My theory is that as it failed on the second boot the first boot would re-enable Webroot again and with the router on the wi-fi would come on as well. two sources of interference maybe? I had already removed any USB stuff and LAN cable.

Now I have to decide whether it was worth the effort. I'm amazed about the intrusiveness of 10. They even wanted to know my inside leg measurement! I've turned off most of the Privacy stuff as I don't want MS knowing what I get up to. I used Powerdesk on 8.1 but now MS have stopped me using it, saying I need to buy a new licence. Trouble is, Powerdesk isn't even compatible with 10.

Thanks for the assistance, I'm obliged to you.

bertie11, Nov 2, 2015
  14. bertie11 Win User
    Removed duplicate post

bertie11, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. The installation failed on the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during - Similar Threads - installation failed SECOND_BOOT

2. xC1900101 – 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    xC1900101 – 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...: Hello,I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on my desktop computer. I am trying to upgrade to Windows 11, but I am encountering issues after the installation. After the computer restarts to install the update, it gets stuck at 91% without moving, and after a long moment,...
  3. xC1900101 – 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    xC1900101 – 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...: Hello,I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on my desktop computer. I am trying to upgrade to Windows 11, but I am encountering issues after the installation. After the computer restarts to install the update, it gets stuck at 91% without moving, and after a long moment,...
  4. xC1900101 – 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. 0xC1900101 – 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0xC1900101 – 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...: Hello,I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on my desktop computer. I am trying to upgrade to Windows 11, but I am encountering issues after the installation. After the computer restarts to install the update, it gets stuck at 91% without moving, and after a long moment,...
  6. 0xC1900101 – 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0xC1900101 – 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...: Hello,I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on my desktop computer. I am trying to upgrade to Windows 11, but I am encountering issues after the installation. After the computer restarts to install the update, it gets stuck at 91% without moving, and after a long moment,...
  7. 0xC1900101 – 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...

8. The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation

The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation: I have a Surface Book running Win 10 Pro 1909. It appears to have a problem in that it will not install some updates. I tried to fix the problem as follows. 1 Downloaded the Media Creation Tool. 2 Created an installation ISO to install Win 10 Pro 2004. 3 Mounted the ISO....
  9. ...failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase w/ an error during SYSPREP_RESPECIA

...failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase w/ an error during SYSPREP_RESPECIA: Trying to upgrade from 7 to 10. It gets past the download, verify, and install then to the 10 boot process (After a restart) and during updates fails at 85% with the subject error and goes back to 7. I feel if it got to 100% it’d be done. I unplugged all external hardware...
  10. 0x8007042b - 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...

0x8007042b - 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...: I've been trying to update my Windows 10 1809 to 1909, and having tried a lot of things I'm totally stuck. It gets to about 91% complete in the second boot phase, but then always rolls back the update. The last thing I tried was an installation from an ISO image on a USB...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. installation failed in the second_boot phase

2. installation failed in second_boot phase

3. the installation failed in the second_boot pre_oobe

4. the installation failed in the second_boot preoobe,
  5. window 10 upgrade has failed in SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation,
  6. win 10 install failed on second boot cure,
  7. windows 10 upgrade failed in the second boot phase,
  8. windows 10 installation failed in second boot,
  9. 2nd boot phase migration data error,
  10. the installation failed in the second_boot,
  11. second_boot update failed,
  12. HP envy x360 - 13-y034cl second boot phase,
  13. Installation failed in second boot phase Windows 10,
  14. error failed second_boot ,
  15. second boot error