Windows 10: The mapped name of a folder is stuck

Discus and support The mapped name of a folder is stuck in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can't correct the name of a mapped folder. I can disconnect it but when i recreate it back with the desired name it still keeps the old name. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by stanhilliard, Mar 5, 2018.

1. The mapped name of a folder is stuck

I can't correct the name of a mapped folder. I can disconnect it but when i recreate it back with the desired name it still keeps the old name. I initially messed it up when I tried to change the name from lower case to upper case in file explorer.

INPUT:
    Drive: X
    Folder: \\TOWER\0 SYNCHRONIZ

RESULT:
    0 SYN(\\T)(X)

The link still displays the correct folder named "0 SYNCHRONIZ"

:)

stanhilliard, Mar 5, 2018

2. My name as a folder name in C:\users\ is missing the last character

Hi Melvyn. I'm Greg, a volunteer and 8 year Windows MVP here to help you.

I think what you're seeing is the truncating of the email address which Windows 10 installation media does when it cannot connect when receiving the MS account during install. This can normally be changed by signing into your MS account or going Settings>Accounts>Manage
    My MS Account and changing your Display name. This changed mine to my full name rather than truncated email address, although due to a long-time Windows security feature the old account name may remain on the User folder (only).

You can also create a new Admin account to transfer over files, test programs work correctly, then when ready delete the old account after changing it to a Local Account, promote the new account to the MS Account. See

http://www.howtogeek.com/226540/how-to-create-a...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 5, 2018
  3. My name as a folder name in C:\users\ is missing the last character

It seems that it's very common for Windows 10 to create folder names in C:\users without the final character.

For example, James might find that his PC has a folder c:\users\jame

or Michael might find that his folder is called c:\users\michae

My folder is missing the last letter of my name. It's an annoyance and it means that in scripts that refer to files under this path I have to knowingly misspell my own name.

The 'solutions' I've seen on the forums are extreme: creating a new user account and then transferring files and settings to that account. Is there really no simple way to just rename my c:\user folder?

MelvynAdam, Mar 5, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

The mapped name of a folder is stuck

Try disconnecting then map using IP instead of name maybe NetBIOS hasn't updated

Samuria, Mar 5, 2018
  5. Try3 Win User
    Disconnect it once more then use RegEdit to delete the relevant entry within HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network

This should destroy its memory of the previous name.

Denis

Try3, Mar 5, 2018
  6. With it disconnected, there is no mapped drive X in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network. With the drive re-mapped, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network contains \\TOWER\0 SYNCHRONIZ as it should, but File Explorer displays 0 SYN(\\T)(X) as before.

stanhilliard, Mar 5, 2018
  7. Try3 Win User
    I have never had to do anything else to remove an old network drive mapping. [The mapped drives I have are all listed even though they are not currently connected].

If I understand the situation correctly -
    • You have mapped \\TOWER\0 SYNCHRONIZ and that is confirmed by HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network
    • But File explorer insists that you have mapped to a [removable?] drive you have called 0 SYN that is connected to the network computer called T instead
    1 Does HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network contain an entry for 0 SYN or \\T at all?
    2 Does HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Portable Devices\Devices contain 0 SYN as a 'FriendlyName' entry?
    3 Can 0 SYN be found in your Registry elsewhere [such as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares]?

Denis

Try3, Mar 6, 2018
  8. The mapped name of a folder is stuck

I searched the registry for "0 SYN" (Match whole string only.). Not found.

I searched the registry for "0 SYN" (Not only matching the whole string.) Results:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Network/X/RemotePath \\TOWER\0 SYNCHRONIZ

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Map Network drive MRU/b/ \\TOWER\0 SYNCHRONIZ

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/MountPoints2/##Tower#0 synchroniz/LabelFromReg/ 0 SYN(\\T)

I fixed the problem by modifying "0 SYN(\\T)" to be "0 SYNCHRONIZ(\\TOWER)"

stanhilliard, Mar 6, 2018
  9. Try3 Win User
    Stan,

I am glad it has been resolved.

I had not found those MountPoints2 keys because I had unwisely limited my search to Names [Values] and Data fields i.e. skipping Keys.

An incidental comment about HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2
    - My own entries for mounted external drives on network computers all use the Name field _LabelFromDesktopINI [REG_SZ] rather than the LabelFromReg you found. I have no idea what the significance of the difference is.

Denis

Try3, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

The mapped name of a folder is stuck

1. The mapped name of a folder is stuck - Similar Threads - mapped name folder

2. Folder Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Name: Why is my folder my documents appearing in chinese characters? here is what it says.. i changed my name to XXXXX: "C:\Users\XXXXX\OneDrive\\ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-name/d6187b9f-e797-4a4b-90f8-2a9c9f10c5af
  3. Folder Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Name: Why is my folder my documents appearing in chinese characters? here is what it says.. i changed my name to XXXXX: "C:\Users\XXXXX\OneDrive\\ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-name/d6187b9f-e797-4a4b-90f8-2a9c9f10c5af
  4. Map network folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Map network folder: I have a shared folder over a network, I am able to get to that folder by running //192.168.0.xxx in the windows search bar which pulls it right up, but I ned to be able to map it to a drive which when I go through the regular process of right clicking network and add network...
  5. The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password

in Windows 10 News
    The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password: If when you try to map a network drive in Windows 10, but you are unable to map a drive or connect a drive remotely with the error message The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password, then this post is intended to help you with...
  6. Un map / Un name a mapped drive

Un map / Un name a mapped drive: I mapped a network folder to Z:. I don't want it mapped anymore. I don't want it to be Z or anything else. I disconnected it but the networked folder is still called Z, although I am not connected anymore. I need that folder location to no longer be called Z. It is causing an...
  7. Problem with mapped folders

Problem with mapped folders: Hi, I have a problem with mapped drives ,i connected a hard disk to my router and share folders over my network, when i set mapped drives few days ago everything was working fine, but now they look fine but in some folders it shows that folder is empty but it is not, and...
  8. Mapped Drive Names Have Expanded

Mapped Drive Names Have Expanded: Hello, After the windows update today, my drives in File Explorer have gone from, for example: PMP Course V5-10 (P:) to PMP Course V5-10 (\\192.168.2.185\homes\MyDocs\Quality Computing) (P:) This is too long to see the letter P: on the end without making the...
  9. User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders"

in Windows 10 Customization
    User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders": I have a problem with my User Folder. Actually the User Folder name is fine, but when you add the Folder on the desktop (with the option on Personalize + Themes) it changed it's name to "Folders" I've tried creating new users, but every new user I create, no matter how...
  10. Windows 10 Folder and File Names stuck to the left

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Folder and File Names stuck to the left: I had Windows 10 briefly about a year ago, and I downgraded to Win 8.1 soon after. Frankly, other than the annoying million hour updates, I hated hated hated how folder and file names suddenly after one of the major updates were all stuck to the left, and there was no...