Windows 10: The most reliable hard drives in 2015, according to Backblaze

Discus and support The most reliable hard drives in 2015, according to Backblaze in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Backblaze, a cloud storage company, records the reliability of different hard drives from different suppliers. The 2015 numbers reveal the success of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

The most reliable hard drives in 2015, according to Backblaze

Read more: The most reliable hard drives in 2015, according to Backblaze | ZDNet

:)

Brink, Feb 16, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows 10 PC experienced a power surge and need to restore files from an external backup

Hi Michael, I assume you need to download the BackBlaze software and use that to restore the files form the Flash Drive

You can download their software from the link below:

www.backblaze.com

Also, you should be able to log into their website and download your backed up files from their server - that is the default operational model that BackBlaze operates under . . .

DaveM121, Feb 16, 2016
  3. JimWynne Win User
    Is there a preferred type of external hard drive to use for backing up a complete Windows system ?

I'm familiar with the Backblaze data, which are for drives in continuous use. They simply don't apply to normal home use.

JimWynne, Feb 16, 2016
  4. The most reliable hard drives in 2015, according to Backblaze

I wonder which WD drives were failing, as the 4TB ones had the 2nd lowest failure rate according to the 2nd graph.

lehnerus2000, Feb 16, 2016
  5. larc919 Win User
    I'll still stick with WD Black.

larc919, Feb 16, 2016
  6. Scramjet Win User
    WD has proven to me to be very reliable. Other than my new Samsung SSD I just purchased for my boot drive(which was a awesome deal) I will always buy WD either USB or internal drives.

Scramjet, Feb 16, 2016
  7. slyphnier Win User
    SSD is proven reliable and alternative storage
    but different usage scenario
    for archiving mass data, traditional hdd have more benefit over SSD
    beside the capacity, data retention on SSD is limited (client at 30C 1year/enterprise 40C 3months without power)
    although it possible real scenario better than that, i believe no one willing to take risk losing data
    thus for those usage, people still using traditional hdd

slyphnier, Feb 16, 2016
  8. TheZeeMan Win User

I would say it's their green ones, I have a storage array I put together that has 8 of them of in it and 3 failed within the past 2 years.

TheZeeMan, Feb 16, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    The green ones ?
    Please elaborate so that I will not buy them.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Feb 16, 2016
  10. TheZeeMan Win User
    Lol they do all of their drives in colors. The green ones are the environment friendly ones. Actually this is new...I'm almost positive its the green ones now:

I also found their new disclaimer:

These are the exact drives I'm using in it: Amazon.com: WD AV-GP 2 TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA II, 64 MB Cache - WD20EURS: Electronics

TheZeeMan, Feb 16, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    This makes me laugh as I remember days when hard disks often failed. Even relatively poor one by modern standards are far more reliable than some years ago.

Any 'old boy' knows to make image backups regularly to protect against hdd failure!

cereberus, Feb 16, 2016
  12. Winuser Win User
    One day Seagate is facing a class action lawsuit, the next day they're #1. I thought for sure it would be WD.

Winuser, Feb 17, 2016
  13. TheZeeMan Win User

I still wouldn't trust Seagate, I had the 3TB external one and that failed in a 2 year period as well. I have hitachi's too and those are probably like 10 years old and still going strong.

My theory is all hard drives will fail and it's a matter of when, each is a time bomb. Some just have shorter fuses than others.

TheZeeMan, Feb 17, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    I Still agree with most of you guys, I would only buy WD drives, but I only prefer their High end models. I still don't trust Seagate.

OldMike65, Feb 17, 2016
  15. slyphnier Win User
    not sure if there relation or not
    but for one green drive is intended for low power (green power)
    WD make it to park-head after 8secs idling, which some people find it rather not good (you can disable it with WDidle)
    whether that often park-head causing early wear or not, we cant be sure

the one you bought are AV (audio video) series, rather than normal green drive
    but i believe the different most likely just firmware that tuned for AV, while parts wise (hardware) is same to normal green drives

@davidhk
    for desktop drive, u want at least BLUE, for faster performance (7200rpm)

but for me, if money not issue/consideration, pick BLACK instead BLUE
    longer warranty (5years vs 2years) might not help much, as when hdd fail we lose our data anyway and WD warrranty not cover it
    but based my experience, BLACK series seems using better parts compared to BLUE/GREEN series
    so far i dont have any issue with BLACK HDD except it a bit warmer

or if you intend for storage purpose (NAS), pick RED series, there is RED PRO if u need better quality one
    (RED PRO is replacing WD RE [sata] enterprise series imo)
    RED drive specification-wise similar to green drive
    but wd claims its ok for 24/7 usage and its been tested for NAS environment also longer warranty (3years)

while i am not sure RED - GREEN drive is not just about firmware+label different
    but based review so far, seems RED drive more reliable than GREEN...
    i havent hear many failure in RED drive

but again none HDD fail-prove ... more over traditional hdd have/use moving parts
    so always backup important data
    and for me, replace HDD after 27000hours (3years) of usage

slyphnier, Feb 17, 2016
Thema:

1. The most reliable hard drives in 2015, according to Backblaze - Similar Threads - reliable hard drives

2. Hard drive reliability is degraded

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive reliability is degraded: Recently, upon startup of my omen-n0xxx laptop it says i have a disk error, and when i look into it farther it says my disk has 100% remaining life. This error came up over 2 months ago. Recently however, my games have ended up crashing my laptop sometimes. even one time upon...
  3. Hard drive reliability is degraded

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive reliability is degraded: Recently, upon startup of my omen-n0xxx laptop it says i have a disk error, and when i look into it farther it says my disk has 100% remaining life. This error came up over 2 months ago. Recently however, my games have ended up crashing my laptop sometimes. even one time upon...
  4. What's the most reliable system optimizer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the most reliable system optimizer: Currently using Ccleaner but not satisfied with it Any other recommendations? Just be light and helpful for optimization submitted by /u/hard2resist [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j5g37x/whats_the_most_reliable_system_optimizer/
  5. Loosing most of my hard drive space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Loosing most of my hard drive space: I have a HP Stream converted laptop. I'm currently a member of the insider program. I'm having a problem with most of my hard drive space. Between my regular Edge and the Insider Edge they take up almost all of my free space. Can I remove the Edge operating system that is...
  6. Backblaze Hard Drive Stats Q1 2019

in Windows 10 News
    Backblaze Hard Drive Stats Q1 2019: [ATTACH] As of March 31, 2019, Backblaze had 106,238 spinning hard drives in our cloud storage ecosystem spread across three data centers. Of that number, there were 1,913 boot drives and 104,325 data drives. This review looks at the Q1 2019 and lifetime hard drive failure...
  7. Most reliable VPN ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Most reliable VPN ?: Having endless problems with TunnelBear which keeps crashing so can anyone recommend a reliable VPN with reasonable monthly charges.... Thanks 114674
  8. Most reliable VPN ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Most reliable VPN ?: Having endless problems with TunnelBear which keeps crashing so can anyone recommend a reliable VPN with reasonable monthly charges.... Thanks 114674
  9. Backblaze: Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2016

in Windows 10 News
    Backblaze: Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2016: [img] Q2 2016 saw Backblaze: introduce 8TB drives into our drive mix, kickoff a pod-to-vault migration of over 6.5 Petabytes of data, cross over 250 Petabytes of data stored, and deploy another 7,290 drives into the data center for a total of 68,813 spinning hard drives...
  10. HoloLens number one gadget of 2015, according to Time Magazine

in Windows 10 News
    HoloLens number one gadget of 2015, according to Time Magazine: [img] Time Magazine has a habit of picking the top 10 of all sorts of things each year, and, of course, that includes our favorite topic, technology. There are no prizes involved except bragging rights and some free publicity, but of course for companies that specialize...