Windows 10: The New Windows 10 Store App now supports Desktop Apps Updates

Discus and support The New Windows 10 Store App now supports Desktop Apps Updates in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Yesterday Microsoft released an update to the Windows 10 Store App, with this update came the ability to update Desktop Apps in-place. We are used to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cliff S, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

The New Windows 10 Store App now supports Desktop Apps Updates

Source: mcakins

Also Listing your desktop app in the Store

:)

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2015

2. Some of my Windows 10 Store apps don't work Error 0x80073CF9

Hello,

Just to clarify, share the information.
    1. What are the steps have you tried earlier?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to try below methods.

Method 1: Refer the links below, and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot Windows store apps on surface.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...t-windows-store-apps-on-surface?os=windows-10

Troubleshoot desktop apps on surface.
    Home of the Microsoft Surface Device Family | Surface

Method 2: Suggest you to install any pending updates.
    1. Type updates in the search bar.
    2. Under Windows update, click on Check for updates.
    3. Install any pending updates.

Do let us know the result.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Jun 3, 2015
  3. Desktop icons turning white/missing thumbnails

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. Let me help you.

I congratulate you for your new surface pro 4.

I Suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article on Troubleshoot Windows Store apps on Surface.

I also Suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article on
    Troubleshoot desktop apps on Surface.

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jun 3, 2015
  4. bromanbro Win User

i just want a way to purge my start menu of all the metro apps

i cant find my desktop stuff because garbage like "alarm clocks" and "news" is all i see

no MS, im not using my desktop PC as an alarm clock!

bromanbro, Jun 3, 2015
  5. swarfega Win User
    Right click on each of the pinned apps on the right and you can remove them from the menu.

As for the other apps on the list, you can uninstall them.

swarfega, Jun 3, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I just hope it doesn't automatically update desktop apps -- I prefer to apply those manually as sometimes they don't work and with Store type apps there doesn't seem any way to undo the updates or uninstall them -- similar to updates on mobile phones - often an app doesn't work after an update. !!! (Or doesn't work as well or you just don't like the new version).

I hope that there is a way of downloading an app so you can manually apply it to individual computers in a network -- and what about those computers that for security / sensitive areas (CIA etc) other reasons you NEVER connect to external networks including the Internet.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 3, 2015
  7. bromanbro Win User
    Already removed the ones on the right, it's just why have a "all programs" section of the start menu when it's plagued with garbage? Yeah it can be individually removed, but sheesh MS >_>.

At least in Win8 you can just right click everything then unpin all at once.

Also agreed Jimbo! MS better not touch my outdated programs! I leave some outdated intentionally!

bromanbro, Jun 3, 2015
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

It's not uninstalling the ENTIRE APP from the store - but just being able to UNDO the update -- a totally different thing completely.

Also how do you address the idea of updating computers that are in secure locations that NEVER are allowed to connect to EXTERNAL Networks such as the Internet. There are plenty of these computers in Police, Govt, Military, high security Labs etc etc. Normally these are updated OFFLINE via secure media in stand alone mode.

The Start menu is a non issue -- you can remove all the tiled apps if you want to.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 3, 2015
  9. The built-in apps cannot be uninstalled. MS is tying some apps to the OS, which I think is the wrong approach.

For instance, Clock on the Taskbar seems to be Alarms app.

I agree, there are apps I don't want or will never use - I should be able to clean up my list and remove the clutter.
    There is a way, but it's a hack. Hopefully this restriction will be removed before 29 July.

This isn't the first time MS tied things to the OS - IE was tightly bound
    It still is in some ways - Taskbar Quick launch is in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    There are remnants of IE4 (maybe that's when quick launch was introduced - not sure) and IE5 (history).

Once you tie a knot, it is sometimes hard to untie it.

I get it though ... everything universal for the sake of being universal.

To be fair, there were CPL cmdlets (calculator) that were built-in to previous versions and you couldn't uninstall those without a hack. The difference is those were relegated to a sub folder and you didn't have to traverse through a long list to find the things you want to use.

If MS puts these built-in apps in a sub-folder, it would help a bit.

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. The New Windows 10 Store App now supports Desktop Apps Updates - Similar Threads - Store App supports

2. Microsoft to revive Windows 10’s app store with new UI and desktop apps

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to revive Windows 10’s app store with new UI and desktop apps: Microsoft Store has long had a redesign in the works and it appears that the fresh version of the app store is being prepared for Windows 10 Sun Valley Update. As you’re doubtlessly aware, the Windows 10 Sun Valley Update should roll out to consumers in October and November....
  3. New Cortana Beta app now available in Microsoft Store for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    New Cortana Beta app now available in Microsoft Store for Windows 10: Save time and stay organized—Cortana helps handle day-to-day tasks so you can stay on top of what matters most. Cortana can support you by giving you reminders, keeping your to-do lists, and helping you set timers and alarms. Cortana can also give you quick answers to the...
  4. New Apple iCloud for Windows 10 app now available in Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 News
    New Apple iCloud for Windows 10 app now available in Microsoft Store: Apple and Microsoft are making it easy for customers to access and enjoy the benefits of their iCloud account across their Windows 10 PC and Apple devices with the all-new iCloud for Windows app available today from the Microsoft Store. You can easily access your photos,...
  5. Mail app for Windows 10 now supports ink

in Windows 10 News
    Mail app for Windows 10 now supports ink: Mail for Windows 10 now supports ink! Take notes on pictures or add a drawing using a pen or your finger. Go to the Draw tab in the ribbon to get started. Insert a Drawing Canvas from the ribbon anywhere in your email to add a sketch. Annotate any picture by drawing on or...
  6. Microsoft Store app for Windows 10 updated with new features

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Store app for Windows 10 updated with new features: Microsoft today pushed out a new update for its Microsoft Store app for Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile. The app has been updated with new features along with the usual bug fixes and performance improvements on both Windows 10 PCs and Mobile. The latest update pushes the...
  7. Mail & Calendar App Update Now In Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail & Calendar App Update Now In Store: New Mail & Calendar App Update Ready in Store Version 17.6568. 46331.0 Just done mine and downloaded and installed ok 44385
  8. New Twitter App Update Ready in Windows 10 Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Twitter App Update Ready in Windows 10 Store: New Twitter App UpdateReady in Windows 10 Store Version 5.0.2.0 48472
  9. New Windows App Studio Release with Windows 10 Store support and more

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows App Studio Release with Windows 10 Store support and more: The Windows App Studio Windows 10 Store Support Release is now available, allowing you to easily create and publish a universal Windows app in record time with no code required. This release builds on the foundation created with July’s App Studio Windows 10 Preview release....
  10. Netflix app Now Supports HDR on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Netflix app Now Supports HDR on Windows 10: We are thrilled to announce the addition of High Dynamic Range (HDR) support on Windows 10 for both the Edge browser and the Netflix app. With this update, Netflix members who have a supported device and a premium plan can enjoy amazing Netflix movies and shows in HDR. With...